Waders Information

B

Big1011Guy

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been looking online for Waders and I am even more confused now than I was even before I knew what The Word "Waders" meant.
I have been detecting since April 2009 and do most of my searching in Galveston, Texas. I have the Sea Hunter and I search in knee high to waist high surf. I don't want to stop just because of the cooler weather and chilly water.
The first Info I need Help with is about what Size Waders do I need. - I am 6'2'' tall / 265 lbs (mostly in the belly area, duh!) and wear a size 12 shoe. There are all kinds of variations on the sizes from XXL to a Boot Size 12, 14 etc...
Next Please Recommend the Material (neoprene, rubber, breathable etc...) the Waders are made out of that is best suited for Metal Detecting in Galveston, Texas Cool Months.
I am wanting to wear Waders instead of say a Dry/Wet Suit because, by the time I got one of those Wet/Dry suits on over this Big Belly I would be to tired to go Detecting and I don't want someone walking along the Seawall mistaking me for a Beached Whale. :help:
Thanks in Advance for Your Input,
Big1011Guy.

Upvote 0

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
BigGuy,

I wear waders to water hunt all of the time with absolutely no issues. I hunt in Lake Michigan where I think the waves can be quite big. I wear neopreme waders (which is the same stuff that wetsuits are made of) and then put a farmer john wetsuit top on which makes it virtually a dry suit. If you step in water deeper than the waders and stay there you may get a small amount of water in your waders, (they then act like a wetsuit with boots) but if you just step that deep and retreat or have an occasional wave wash past the top of the waders you will stay dry. I have purposely flooded my waders, they do not sink, and they are no more cumbersome when flooded until you get into shallow water, then you get the michelen man syndrome look. just let some water out.

Neopreme waders are more form fitting than the old style rubber waders, that did present a problem if they were flooded. Make sure that if you do get waders with boots that you get some without the steel shank in the boots.

When its really cold I put my farmer john bottoms on then the waders then the farmer john tops. I have hunted in a blizzard and stayed warm but you feel kind of like the tin man (oil me).

It only takes a couple of minutes to put them on, and when I'm done hunting I slip them off and put on my shoes and am ready to travel, and most importantly I'm dry!

Just my experience.

Steve

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

Thanks kaptainkosmic for your reply and info. I have chosen to try Neoprene Chest High Waders with Boots attached. I bid on and won some on E-bay. I will try them out in a couple of weeks and post how things turn out.
Thanks again, Guy

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Waders Information....Exploding the Waders of Death myth

kaptainkosmic is 100% on the waders
Thanks Sandman, I do use redhead hunting sox's, guess the old feet will have to tuff it. Your right about the drysuits, first time in a drysuit like the Hangmans nuce, the MSD900 has a adjustible neck which is some what easier. I have to go thur all your post, heard you have several great tips on the excals.

During the winter I use 3 mm O'Neil neoprene gloves, wind resistant and my hands stay warm, even after hours in the water. After you get use to them you have very little problem picking up stuff if it is in the sand, on a flat table, a dime would take a couple days . Taking them off is like pealing your skin off, not painful but tight. But after 3 seasons they are looking a bit worn.

I have seen a few use these trapper gloves......http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/products.asp?cat=80

Good Luck Joe

Great vid on the waders of death myth for all the non believers in waders

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

Thanks OldeBeechnut for the Additional Info and Wader Video. The Gloves I use are ROC Auto Mechanic Gloves they aren't waterproof but fit tight and I can pick up small items with them on.
Gotta have a little discomfort to make Findin' That There Buried Treasure Worth the Search.
Guy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions