Fisher 1270 special edition ok on the beach?

A

abrakdabra

I bought a Fisher 1270 special edition. This model's specialty is detecting relics. It has no salt switch. It's not a coin shooter; there is no ID feature. I've used it detecting relics hill and dale and it's great. When I reviewed detectors deciding which one to buy I was into relic hunting. It never occured to me to detect beaches after one time with a 150 dollar detector when it was no use at all. That detector had auto ground adjust. I suppose it was beeping everywhere because of the salt, high ground mineralization. Dunno.
Well now I have this Fisher 1270 designed for relic hunting and want to go to the beach. It isn't auto ground adjust. There's a knob for that and one dobs, or whatever the word is for bobbing the coil and turning the ground adjust until the beep stops. Then it's adjusted.
Would you think this Fisher 1270 would work on the dry sand?
Thanks in advance for your opinions and insights on this. I hope not to have to buy a new detector specifically for the beach.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

abrakdabra

Uh, due to the lack of response, which is fine (it works super fine waving over dry sand, went out and did it repeatedly, a living 'conversation piece' :), I'll just say yes :). But put a plastic bag over the housing because sand blows into the speaker gaps. Into the machine and rattles around, which might be good luck, all that rattlin', conjuring up the treasure gods. Or it might damage the machine. ;)

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Ab. I have only used the 1270 for relic hunting, but in the South Carolina soil it gets a bit noisy. I'm sure that in the dry sand it would be fine, the wet however should drive it crazy. As for covering the box, absolutely! If it is'nt waterproof cover it. The sand is bad enough but the moisture has claimed many detectors. We used to seal ours with permatex before going to the beach and still had a few breakdowns. Good luck & HH! Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread