Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Upvote 0

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey minton, i would normally say.... can i come with you? but ill pass on freezing water diving :notworthy:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water will be warmer at the deepest part of the lake and 8 feet or so won't be it. The wet suit will only insulate the bodies core temp for awhile. The face will be under the most pain. I used to dive under the ice to retrieve drowned snowmobiles but I wore a dry suit and the face still didn't feel like mine. Plus with a 7 mm suit you might need something like 30 pounds of lead to hold you down. I hope it is worth it.

I freeze now just getting in the morning paper. :coffee2:

Good Luck,
Sandman

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your core will eventually chill even with that suit. Don't go alone if you go. Use common sense and limit your down time. I used a 3mm suit in Florida in the winter and it would keep me comfortable for about 2 hrs, then I had to come out of the water to recover and go again after I had time to warm back up.

Good luck and stay safe. There is nothing down there worth your health or life.

DaChief!

OP
OP
M

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I appreciate all the info.. I am clueless about this really..... I was hoping that the wet suit would buy me maybe an extra month at each end of the season.....would this be a more realistic expectation?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't know your comfort level and how much abuse you can take. Remember this should be fun, when it stops being fun it is time to quit. I've used warming systems that pump warm water into your suit, but this just prolongs the pain on the face.

OP
OP
M

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I was diving in late sept no suit.. was fine in the water.... when I got out I got cold LOL I really think with a suit I could have went out maybe another 3 weeks anyways.. I am thinking that I will look up avg water temps in ohio .... and see when in the spring the temps get to where they were in sept... then try to start there or close

C

Cappy Z.

Sounds like pond diving or maybe river. I just checked the weather for Ohio....yikes

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each person is different on what there comfort level is. Just like Sandman said above ones face will still be exposed to the elements. I tried diving in 58 degree water last year. I was out after 15 minutes. My body felt warm with the wet suit, but around my forehead I ended up with a headache that I will never forget. Another thing I noticed is that I brought an aluminum 80 (with 3300 psi) down to 500 in those 15 minutes (less then 15 feet of water). I didn't even realize I was breathing that heavy. So just like another recommended above, make sure a partner is there with you and if at all possible maybe hold off to let it warm up a few degrees.

I know we all look forward to seeing the goodies that you will find out there.

HH

rehless

Mar 23, 2008
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, Surf PI, Tesoro SS, Cibola, Tejon, Troy X2
I live in Western Washington State and dive and snorkel Lake Washington. Agreed, that Spring and Fall are the most comfortable water temps, but I dive all winter and will be going in the lake tomorrow to get in the last dive of the year. I have been using a regular five mil wetsuit, but recently got a seven mil and it is really comfortable. I am seventy two years old and if I can do it, you can.I don't often have a dive buddy, some times we go together, but we sure as hell aren't with in close proximity, so he wouldn't be any help in an emergency. Use your head and common sense and stay shallow, where most of the goodies are, any way. When you feel uncomfortable, get out. Good hunting to you.
Deepseeker

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Dude, all the questions you have for this activity would be answered if you were a certified diver. You really should be if your going to be using this equipment. Its easy, reletively cheap, and can save your life. Not preaching, just worried about people using diving equipment without being certified. Just sayin.........

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned to dive in 34 Degree water. I got way to cold one time and had to tell my Buddy/master to go up. I can't do the cold water thing unless I have a dry suit. Now, I can't go out in the cold without layers on. It takes a long time for the suits to warm up more so if your a small person. If you stay shallow you'll have more air to give you more time to warm up. Going deep past the thermal line will be harder to get and stay warm. If your not certified please get certified and always dive with a Buddy.....

Keep @ it and HH !!

Miningtown

Apr 22, 2009
Argyle, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI PRO sl, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Man, you winter divers are hard core!!! I won't go in my pool unless it's like bath water..haha. Good luck, but I agree with others..get certified first if your not. Its cheap,fun and safe!

OP
OP
M

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I appreciate the concern, but I am not interested in getting certified.... the deepest I have ever been in is 8 ft.... and it is all state park lakes.... I know a person can drown in 8'... as for a buddy.. no on in my area hunts in the water really.... I have found 2 really old guys.... and my Hookah is one man.... I have gotten instruction from Mike Brighty.. he is MR. White's ....... 30 yr regional dealer.... dives ship wrecks around the Islands and in the great lakes..... written books etc..... he says you cango whenever it isn;t iced over.... and he does go that cold.... I was just curious from other people as to how insanely cold I would be..... Having said that..... I am open toa dive partner ... they have to buy the parts to make the Hookah 2 man and have to drive to meet me to hunt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike is a great guy, I bought one Hookah from him years ago. But you really should get certified as this gives you training that you can hardly get anywhere else. Simple things like clearing your mask of water, learning proper buoyancy control, dive equipment care, etc. There is more to hookah diving than filling her up with gas or attaching the battery. You should also use a reserve tank for the air supply. Having a spare air system or reserve pony bottle with attached regulator too. You gotta learn more. Besides, what makes the water is state parks different than water in the Great Lakes?

rehless

Mar 23, 2008
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, Surf PI, Tesoro SS, Cibola, Tejon, Troy X2
I agree on getting certified. It will make you more comfortable in the water, which will
lead to better hunts. Don't go beyond snorkeling with out certification.
Deepseeker

diver1382

May 21, 2007
I have been a commercial diver the past 25 years and I would suggest using a drysuit for water colder then 50 degrees, 45 the lowest
as for the cold face issue a drysuit with an attached hood and full face mask will take care of that. using a wetsuit in temps lower then 45 could get you into some trouble , if you do attempt to give it a go ,make sure you have someone with you in case you need help

KJ$IPW

Dec 6, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III, Whites 4900dl pro plus
best bet is dry suit, and full face mask, I have been in 48degree water in a wetsuit, I couldn't get out fast
enough
HH
Steve

LMC 620

Apr 29, 2009
Staten Island NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My first ice dive was in a dry suit, a heavy Posideon. Took getting used to. But I ended up eventually buying one and did all my cold water wreck diving in it.
My second ice dive was in a regular 1/4" wet suit with a hooded vest. The temp on the ice was down in the low teens. It wasn't bad in the water, actually spent about half hour under the ice. But when we got out, it was cold. So cold we had to go back into the 34 degree water to warm up.
Ahhh, the good ole days!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread