Newbie to beach need tips :)

dobbie

Jan 5, 2009
Hi everyone. Im a newbie to beach detecting but not to metal detecting in general ;D . I was wondering if you all had any tips / tricks that could help me out a little. the beaches i will be hunting are very big so i wouldnt even know where to start. They r all southern cali beaches so they get ALOT of visitors all year round. Any info would be a great help.. I am using a whites XLT .

Upvote 0

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman put this link on a similar request a couple of months ago.

Start here and read. You can get years of experience in about a day or two of reading. This guy was one of the best and admired by many.

http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

Good Luck.

DaChief

koolmac68

Greenie
May 25, 2009
south jersey
Detector(s) used
whites DFX 300
That link is a great site, Chief. I clicked and spent about an hour just reading through all his stuff. I live in New Jersey (close to the shore) and this info on beaches is invaluable. Thanks.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife printed every page from that site and placed it in a 3-ring binder. She added extra paper for notes and sheet protectors so I can slip in photos of my finds. She then gave it to me as a Christmas present and told me to build a cabinet to put the book in along with all my metal detecting equipment.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Piercesdad said:
My wife printed every page from that site and placed it in a 3-ring binder. She added extra paper for notes and sheet protectors so I can slip in photos of my finds. She then gave it to me as a Christmas present and told me to build a cabinet to put the book in along with all my metal detecting equipment.

Nice wife you have there, that is a great Christmas present The Golden Olde has tons of information that will never be out of date.....

I need a big closet, cabinet would be too small for all my detectors and supplies.....

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
1. Scout the beach to see where people are sitting during the day.

2. While scouting, try to get a feel of where center point is, that's the center of the crowd on the beach

3. After the crowd leaves (evening or morning), start detecting at the center of the center, and detect a grid toward the water and back to the dune until you find the general line with the most targets

4. Then concentrate in the area with the highest targets.

5. Don't be in a hurry, swing the coil slowly, and keep it close to the sand during the full arc of the swing

Being in the right place on the beach is more important than having the best detector

Bill

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took all the pages down to the UPS store and made some books out of them. Quite fancy too. Old Norm was a great hunter that taught me the Happy Dance too.

The beach is always changing and we have to change with it. It is better than following along behind the dude with the huge honker ring waiting for him to lose it. :laughing7:

In memory of you Norm​

Attachments

• NORM, The Golden Olde.gif
    NORM, The Golden Olde.gif
    52.6 KB · Views: 198
  • NORM, The Golden Olde.gif
    NORM, The Golden Olde.gif
    52.6 KB · Views: 196

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread