Homemade Underwater Metal Detector & hookah diving rig

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
Homemade Underwater Metal Detector & hookah diving rig

I am looking into getting a underwater metal detector. I found some plans on how to make your own homemade underwater metal detector. The plans only cost me $2.60. I will see what I can do with them. It looks like you just put the coil underwater & the box stays in the boat. These plans look like they are from the 1950's. lol.

I would like to make my own underwater metal detector. Find out how to seal the housing, which is the best coils to use underwater, etc..Huh? If all the name brands can make them, why can't I make my own?? lol.

And I'm looking at hookah rigs for some metal detecting underwater. I have some plans on making your own hookah rig too. I also found some plans on making your own Snuba setup too. Although, it's best to take classes at a PADI dive place, so you know the dangers of diving, etc.. Good idea. Get scuba certified, and use a snuba or hookah setup.

HH, skt

Upvote 0

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Homemade Underwater Metal Detector & hookah diving rig

the homemade detector sounds like a good idea, the homemade hooka system, not so much. Carbon monoxide isn't a friendly kind of gas, and it has no odor.

Save your found pennies and look for safe equipment. None of this is worth your life. :dontknow:

Oh, and I see you have to have a boat for part 2, do you have one yet?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Who knows what will happen if you make your own metad detector. If you have a engineering background you could come up with a new detector for us. But there is no need to go to the expense of making your own as there are plenty of land units with a long coil cable so you can float the box and take the coil down. Whites and Fisher used to produce coils with very long cables for just such a purpose. But it is much easier to use a 1280.

By all means get certified before any diving, even for shallow water. http://www.airlinebyjsink.com/

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used

Sandman said:
Who knows what will happen if you make your own metad detector. If you have a engineering background you could come up with a new detector for us. But there is no need to go to the expense of making your own as there are plenty of land units with a long coil cable so you can float the box and take the coil down. Whites and Fisher used to produce coils with very long cables for just such a purpose. But it is much easier to use a 1280.

By all means get certified before any diving, even for shallow water. http://www.airlinebyjsink.com/

My dad was a aerospace engineer!! lol. maybe he could do something?? I know there are already many good UMD out there. And I saw where Fisher has the long coil cable, for $150 which sounds good. And keep the unit in a small inflatable boat. The 1950's plans say that the beep sound can be very loud where I can hear it while snorkeling. Picture this; me snorkeling, while having the coil pendulum-ing underwater, with the box in the boat, boat tied to me with long rope! and when it beeps, I free dive down, scoop with my sand scoop, surface and check the scoop. Only in about 5-8' of water. When I was a kid, I would free dive at the pier for spare change from tourists every day in the summer, and on weekends for a few years. I got very good at free diving.

As for hookah, there are some good units out there that are battery operated. I found some interesting info on some other forum boards, and google, etc.. I've been collecting info and doing research. All this during winter when it's too cold for me to get into the water. Come spring time, I'll have some kind of setup ready to go with either free dive, hookah or snuba. And either my own UMD or a purchased one. I saw on ebay a cheap UMD by treasure hunter name brand for around $150. Don't know how good they hold up. But found some other brands for around the same price too. I know what they say about cheap stuff. You get what you pay for.

I will let you guys know what the 1950's UMD looks like, etc.. Here are some photos I found.

ttyl, skt

Attachments

• JWFUWC.JPG
    JWFUWC.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 8,094
  • brownieshookah.jpg
    brownieshookah.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 8,956
  • electric hookah.JPG
    electric hookah.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 7,284
  • FRANKENSNUBAIIB.jpg
    FRANKENSNUBAIIB.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 10,189
  • 54b1_35.JPG
    54b1_35.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 8,299

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi FTF.

Keep us updated when something is setup for the homemade underwater detector. It sounds like fun.

As for the Hookah, because it regards ones life, like davest said, put in the extra cash and buy a quality system. Also, just like you said, it's best to start with a diving class. I've never used a Hookah system but it does worry me the accident articles that I see everytime I go into a dive shop. To be fair I have to say that almost all of them are with uncertified divers. Back in the summer there was a young lady lost (they never found her) while using a hookah for the first time. In the dive shop they have it blown up the quotes from the husband saying "I thought she could do it." Oh, and for the those that may want to jump in for the attack, here are the articles to read before commenting

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/article1026818.ece

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/au...-need-no-certification/news-metro/?FORM=ZZNR6

The articles aren't meant to scare, they are there to inform.

I know there are many out there that would love to go detecting and diving with you at the same time. It's fun but not an easy task to do. Believe it or not, it is very noisy underwater. When you take your diving course there are many potential dive buddies. All will be at the same level as you and will have many of the same desires to learn more and get out there for underwater dive time. I know everytime I mention metal detecting around a dive shop there are always a few that volunteer.

One of the best things that come out of the scuba diving classes is that it opens up a new world for you. You will see things that 95% (it's just an estimate, I have no idea the exact number) of the others will never see. Most of them will be lucky to have only seen these items via TV or maybe an aquarium.

Good luck.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Floridatreasure,

I have the plans for that giant coil.I never built it.I just bought them to hang on my wall as a decoration.You dont need a giant coil to find treasure.You could even use a mag or just a good u/w detector.Take a scuba course before you get a hookah system.You could hurt yourself or even die useing a hookah if you dont know what you are doing.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am an experienced scuba and Hookah diver. I got my hookah from Keene Engineering. http://www.keeneeng.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ACS

It is to your benefit to be trained even for shallow depths. A tip for retrieving the target, I use a Garrett plastic gold classifier pan. It has many holes in the bottom and I push it into the bottom to scoop up the target. It sifts fast. Keep it tethered to you as it floats.

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the advice & info everyone. There is a man that lives near me that is a scuba instructor. He teaches from his house. I see his pool in the yard. I may ask him how much he charges and all the details, and ask him about possibly teaching, or trying hookah. Even with Snuba, the people are given a bit of training before they are allowed to use the unit. And the people are supervised.

Thanks for the good articles too.

skt

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SNUBA, SCUBA, or Hookah diving all require training. Anytime you breath underwater from any form of compressed air there are physical laws that affect what happens to your lungs, your body, etc. Do none of it unless you know what those laws are and how to keep yourself safe if there are problems. One could choose to ignore all the safety comments in this post and those above. However, if you do that purchase a large life insurance policy and make the beneficiary someone you care for. Jim

Sundancer

Feb 14, 2009
Fort White, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Tesoro Lobo
OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used

Sundancer said:
I totally agree with the advice to get certified before doing ANY type of diving. PLEASE do it! As far as the homebuilt hookah system, there are a lot of things involved with making a unit that will be safe. Here are a couple of threads with good info on that subject.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,274596.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,244882.0.html

~Mike

Thanks for the info. I'll let you guys know how I do in the future.

skt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread