Whats it worth?

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Do you gng's remember last year when I found the cross at the beach? It was my first really nice find. At least I consider it one of my best finds. It is marked silver on the cross and the chain is also marked. Someone on here suggested that the stones were blue topaz. I don't sell my stuff and it is rare that I give any of it away either but... My grand daughter is getting married next month so I decided I would give this to her for the "something blue". I did want to have an idea of what it might be worth first. So I took it to three jewelers this morning.

Cross0516082-1.jpg

What a difference in what they said.

1st jeweler was the same one I took that ring to that told me the ring was only worth 77 dollars scrap. He told me that the cross and chain were silver (I knew that - it's marked) He said it was very old, an antique and that the stones were indeed blue topaz but would not give me an idea what it might be worth.

2nd jeweler looked at it and told me the stones were not blue topaz because they were too light and that they were aquamarines. He said with out an official appraisal he would put it's worth at about $200.00.

3rd jeweler looked at it and told me the stones were blue topaz but that it wasn't worth more than the silver itself. He said $50.00.

How can three different jewelers be so far apart? How can you find a reputable jeweler that will give you a fair estimate? The second one was Kay jewelers and they told me if I wanted a written appraisal (which of course would cost) I should take it to their sister store, Jareds in either Clearwater or Tampa. Well I wasn't driving that far. I sure wish I knew someone I could go to when I find something nice that could honestly tell me what a piece is worth. Having said all that.... I guess it really doesn't matter since I generally keep my stuff no matter what it's worth. :wink:

Upvote 0

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
There is a big difference in an appraisal and the true value of an item.

An appraisal is almost always inflated, sometimes by 100% or more.

If you want to find the true value, take it to reputable jewelers, and ask 'what will you give me for this?'

The goal is not their appraisal, but to find out exactly what they will pay you for the item.

Reputable jewelers will try to buy the item at 50 to 70% of resale value.

So if three different jewelers offer to pay you around $100 after examining the item, you can figure it is probably worth around $150.

Generally the family owned jewelers will have more discretion (and usually more experience) when it comes to knowing the real value of jewelry.

Just my opinion (my wife worked in a family owned jewelry store for several years).

Bill

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
What Bill said, he is probably 99.99% correct. If you want another 'opinion' take it to Belleair Coins and Jewelers on West Bay, across the street from Largo Medical Center (just hang a left at the light in Belleair Shores, across the causeway and on the left after the 2nd stop light). If nothing else it is worth a trip just to see the stuff they have in there, much of it way out of my price range (and I mean more than I bring home in 1 or more years total) but fun to look at anyway.

(I know some of you are saying 'what is this guy talking about? but Mumz will know exactly where I am talking about)

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mumszie, i just don't trust any of them! its like taking your car to a used car lot and asking whats my car worth? of course you are going to get a really lowball estimate. i hope someone on here can give you the name of someone who will be honest with you.

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
a silver chain and charm is worth 50 bucks in scrap silver? Am I figuring wrong? I have 6 sterling rings.... I am getting like 3 or 4 bucks each as scrap.....

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something blue from Grandma on wedding day - Priceless

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'm with GIBH. It's all relative. Give it as a wedding present and don't worry about the price estimate. It doesn't matter anyway. It's a priceless gift to the bride. You give it from the heart. You'll never know the true "value" until you put it up for auction and see what it ultimately goes for. Every jewelry shop in the world will give you a different value/price for it. Just enjoy it and give it for the love value.

Noodle

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I look at things is it is only wourth what someone is willing to pay for it. Give it as a gift and it is priceless cause it is coming from your heart.....Matt

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
aqua marines are higher dollar stones ( say $26 a carat)--light blue topaz however are not (say $9 a carat)== thus there is a big quality and price differance between the two --the others #1 and #3 dealers might have all been low balling you in hopes of getting a cheap buy (calling aqua marines --blue topaz)-- their buying price offer of say $50- would "really" be a steal if it is a aquamarine item -- (the price they will buy stuff for is normal about 1/3 to 1/2 of its for sale value ) vs "apprial price" aka "full sale price" $$$ or --what they would sell a similar replacement item to you for for "insurance purposes" varys wildly . (thats why you have to "pay" for a written appriasal)-- since you will get paid from the insurance company by using it in case of theft or loss.

if they are indeed aqua marines--- 6 x $26 for the stones -- is $156 plus the silver value say 10 -- $166 --as a antique type item--- a small bump in price to say about $200 --- honest replacement cost say double -- $400 retail )---not a bad "buy" for them if you sold them a item that they can flip for $400 for $50 * --8 x their investment of course if you "bust" them trying to screw ya --they say without testing looked like blue topaz to me .

if however its topaz -- 6 x 9 = $54 plus silver value --say 10 -- say $64 with no bump for the fact its a antique -- due to em being a tightwad type --honest replacement cost say triple -- $150 /200 retail

often a jewelers mark up is 2 to 3 times what hes got invested in a piece --sometimes even more.

jewelers , pawn shops and coins stores and used car dealers --buy low , sell high is their motto

I think its safe to say its worth at least 150 to as much as 400 if bought retail depending upon which stone it is .

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mumszie, the best way to get an appraisal without paying for it is to take it to a jeweler and have him or her give you an estimate of how much he or she would charge to make you the same item. Of course one could take it to a jewelry shop where they will write up an appraisal for insurance purposes that usually has a huge markup and is not really the value of the item, but that's why one pays out usually $100 for it.

One member of the family, not related now because of divorce, is a GIA graduate. He explained to me about the huge markup on appraisals.

I remember when you found that cross. It will make a beautiful, wonderful gift whatever the value is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread