East coast of Florida

sanddrifter

Dec 2, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
I have spent many hours MD St Augustine and a couple days at Jacksonville, but I don't seem to find much. Yesterday in the wet sand ( St Augustine) I didn't even find trash.
I did have my first gold and silver find the early part of Dec. in the dry sand. I found a silver St Christopher necklace and a couple gold bands. With being new and my new detector, that really helped make me feel like I do know what I am doing and I'm not wasting my time.

But after yesterday I am wondering is it the time of year, low wave action or do I need to go farther south to look. In two weeks I have only found about 10 pennies, 2 nickels and 1 dime and a little trash.
Do I keep going out or wait until more tourist or a storm comes through?

I do run mine on discriminate.

Upvote 0

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Hang in there. It sounds like you ARE finding stuff. This is a slow time but it will soon pick up. If you have been reading the posts here lately not much is being found right now. HANG IN THERE!

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep checking different beaches. It helps if ya can mark a post or some thing to see if the sand is coming or going. I know a lil S. where I hunt I was hot hunting red shell bed... but when the wife and I headed back to the condo that beach had 2plus foot on new white sand on the shell bed I was hunting. You ask how I know... I took my scoop and dug as far as i could and didn't hit shell, so I didn't bother with it. I did go another 2 miles s. and there was serious erosion. On that hunt I managed a ring and a gold cable necklace that obviously had washed out as it was half out of the sand exposed, I didn't even need my MD to find it. :thumbsup: There is still items to be found but it seems with the added sand there out of reach for now. Keep going and mark some places so you will know weather or not to hunt that location or move elsewhere. :dontknow:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Mumszie said, "Hang in there." Things are slow right now for recent drops, but the older stuff is still there, only deeper. If you are using disc. keep it turned down so you can still hear foil. It is best to not have any at all and use all metal if you aren't using a Excal.

Have you learned from the golden olde yet? http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
sanddrifter

sanddrifter

Dec 2, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Thanks for the information. It was all very good! I also went to the website again to read more! Happy hunting everyone!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you have your descrimination set to? Personally I run mine at the lowest setting possible on my Excal, due to the different alloys used in gold rings you can discriminate out gold by setting your descrimination too high. I would rather dig a 100 pulltabs, then descriminate out 1 diamond ring.....

Like Sandman, SS and the others said, beaches are sanded in bad in many locations, if you hunt in all metal (pinpoint) you are reaching a little deeper, when you get a signal, switch to Disc and see if it nulls, if it does it's iron, but if signal is still there or no signal at all dig till you get a signal and check again, still have a signal dig.......Since there are few recent drops now, every extra inch you can get on depth can make a difference.

Good luck, hope you see something shiney in your scoop soon.... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
sanddrifter

sanddrifter

Dec 2, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
I have had it on discriminate (not pinpoint) and on number 1 for discriminate.
So I will now start using pinpoint and keep discriminate on 1. Hopefully now I will be luckier! I can't wait until it warms up to get in the water.

Thanks again!!

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all in the luck of being there at the right place at the right time. Hang in there.

My brother went with the local boy scout troop back in the summer to the St Augustine area. One of the kids, without a metal detector pulled out a very large men's blue saphire and gold ring. He said there was a section of the beach that was washed out and again being there at the right time really pays off.

Yesterday we were diving on a ship wreck when my friend taps me on the shoulder to show me a nice gold chain he found laying there in plain site. I wanted to take out the knife and cut his air hose :'( (it's a joke about cutting the hose).

Good luck.

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
What detector are you using?
My wife and I will be down your way in a few weeks. Send me a private message if you want to meet up with us, we can compare units and make sure yours it is working properly.

We will be using a light weight Bounty Hunter for the soft sand and a Minelab Safari for the wet stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread