I got my FIRST underwater metal detector!! Yay!

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
:hello2: Yay! I got my first underwater metal detector last night from ebay. It's a cheap little starter machine ($208). All I ask is that it stays watertight & works!! This should be ok for my first one, to get me out in & under the water. I'm so excited to get going with it.

When I was a kid, I was part fish!! lol. My parents had a hard time getting me out of the water every time we went to the beach, lake, pool, etc.. I grew up in Redondo Beach, Calif and would dive for spare change from the tourists on the pier when I was a teen. I was a avid free diver up to 25' for several years as a teen.

Now I'm back!!

To start out with, I already have my mask, fins, & snorkel. I am a short 5' 3" and will wade up to the point where it would be better for me to get face down & snorkel with md swinging. I can see the targets, kick a couple times, scoop, and surface. Here's another cute, funny thing from when I was a kid, free diving for coins. I would take a cotton tube sock & tie it to my wrist. Fill it with coins & keep it tied to my wrist so the coins wouldn't fall out. It worked pretty good, especially in the surf coming out of the water.

I would earn enough coins to pay for lunch and had such a good time. I even had a shark encounter. It was a baby shark & being a fearless teen (lol), I grabbed it and took it ashore & then posed with it for pictures from the tourists!! lol, (I'm such a ham). About an hour later, after carrying this shark around the pier with me, I tossed it back in the water, when it hit, it woke up, and swam away!! lol... hee hee.(kids!!)

I can't wait to get out there again. How does hours in the water in Florida sound to you?? hee hee.

Here is the description from the ebay ad:

We were finally able to get some of these coveted underwater detectors in stock. We can only get these when Treasure Hunter has factory extras.

For the avid beach comber, treasure diver, wader along FL's treasure coast, or deep sea diving detector, the Aquavision Pro has what you are looking for.

Unlike most underwater detectors, the Aquavision Pro works great in salt water as well as freshwater, and with a maximum depth of 132 feet, there is virtually no treasure out of your grasp. With only two knobs, this detector is a miracle of high technology. One knob is for power on, battery test, and discrimination, the other knob is for sensitivity.

Lightweight, with comfortable foam grip, this detector is a pleasure to use in or out of the water. The detector takes one Alkaline 9-volt battery which provides over 65 hours of operation time. Pinpointing is a breeze with only the slightest movement needed for positive target results.

With state of the art patented quartz crystal electronics the Aquavision Pro operates in frequencies even below the VLF (Very Low Frequency) spectrum. With the included waterproof and specially engineered piezo-elastic headphones, this detector is truly a treasure hunters dream.

Weight 6lbs

Warranty - 5-years

Submersible Headphones

Can be set to ignore small metal pieces while looking for larger objects

10" deepsearch spidercoil

Audible alarm and visual red LED flash

Aluminum control tube

Descrimination capabilities to tune out trash like pulltabs while searching for valuable treasure

Manufacturer: Treasure Hunter

Suggested Retail $795.95

** It all sounds good to me, and I will put it through it's paces ** yay!!

Susan, and my dogs Kelly & Tinky

Attachments

• 1212687447158_aqua22.jpg
    1212687447158_aqua22.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,440
Upvote 0
OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
scubatreasure said:
SKT, this is the type of accident that could have been avoided with a little info from a friend. So sad...
http://www.huliq.com/1/91180/stuart-beach-florida-surfer-dies-shark-attack

Limo Bob :icon_pirat:

I heard about that. I get the news feed. That is a bummer. I try to keep an eye on the news so that I can learn about the shark activity in the area. I heard they were migrating recently. I don't want that to be me! I will be in the water alot, much like the surfers, and will be focused on my searching. I will have a friend with me to help watch, but still. Anything can happen. Yikes!! This is another unfortunate loss. My heart goes out to his family. He was just trying to have some fun.

Thank you for sharing, skt

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Hope your detector works the sad part about buying a cheap detector and using it at a florida salt water beach,Once you get out there and get tired of the problems you might just loose interest in the hobby,If i was u i would walk the detector in the ocean and bring back the battery,Nah jus kidding but really i hope you have fun but look into something like a minelab excalibur you will have fun and locate treasures that that detector may never signal. ???

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Ronald99 said:
Hope your detector works the sad part about buying a cheap detector and using it at a florida salt water beach,Once you get out there and get tired of the problems you might just loose interest in the hobby,If i was u i would walk the detector in the ocean and bring back the battery,Nah jus kidding but really i hope you have fun but look into something like a minelab excalibur you will have fun and locate treasures that that detector may never signal. ???

Thank you, I've been hearing nothing but bad stuff about the cheapie. I might try & rig something that will work for me. Using a small inflatable boat, a different coil, etc.. I have plans that I can make my own UMD. So I may use this one for parts? I'm not sure. I will test it and see. Maybe I should use the cheapie for fresh water only?? They have plenty of that in Florida.

I plan to put extra silicone sealant around it & even a plastic bag with clear shipping tape around the knobs, etc.. to help prevent leaking.

Stay tuned, b/c you will find out what odd thing I come up with when making my own umd. I don't have enough money for a nice better one....yet anyway. I am having fun on this adventure of trying to get a cheap umd to find stuff. I may make my own saltwater umd, and if it's good, I'll make more & sell them to you all!! lol...

At least you will see how mine works, looks, etc.. I'll have video. And maybe some folks here will meet me on the beach and try out my homemade underwater metal detector gadget!! lol..

I'm still pretty adventurous. Nothing really gets me down or slows me down too much. lol..

Thanks for your info. I appreciate your input.

Stay tuned...skt :)

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
U could always go to the beach find a clean area and bury some targets at certain intervals and see what the detector hits and misses at say 3 inches versus 6 inches and different types of targets like a gold ring and silver coins a quarter and other things so you know what you can expect.
You dont want to walk around for hours if the detector is skipping over a target or missing something a few inches down, Plus you can check the sensetivity around saltwater, Hope this helps you and anyone else with a new detector,If you bury rings tie a string so you dont loose target some people put stuff in a plastic bag but you want the sand and dirt to make contact with the targets.

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Ronald99 said:
U could always go to the beach find a clean area and bury some targets at certain intervals and see what the detector hits and misses at say 3 inches versus 6 inches and different types of targets like a gold ring and silver coins a quarter and other things so you know what you can expect.
You dont want to walk around for hours if the detector is skipping over a target or missing something a few inches down, Plus you can check the sensetivity around saltwater, Hope this helps you and anyone else with a new detector,If you bury rings tie a string so you dont loose target some people put stuff in a plastic bag but you want the sand and dirt to make contact with the targets.

Thanks for the info. I will do some tests with it before I take it into the water.

skt

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I admire your effort. There is a reason most underwater metal detectors are so expensive.............it's because other folks have done the testing and work to get them to market. It's always going to be better to save and wait than to toss money down the drain, trust me on that.

Hopefully, you'll find a big old diamond/gold ring with yours. Good luck.

Cmonstir777

Feb 9, 2010
Hi...I just wanted to let you know that I also bought one of these. It was for the same reason. I would like to share info on this machine and see if maybe we could both go on a hunt together and figure out the pros and cons of the machine. I have a land MD that I have used and had a ton of fun with. I would to try this out as well. It would be great to share the fun, If you are interested I live in kissimmee... Lets go on a hunt..How great is that...Best of luck.

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Cmonstir777 said:
Hi...I just wanted to let you know that I also bought one of these. It was for the same reason. I would like to share info on this machine and see if maybe we could both go on a hunt together and figure out the pros and cons of the machine. I have a land MD that I have used and had a ton of fun with. I would to try this out as well. It would be great to share the fun, If you are interested I live in kissimmee... Lets go on a hunt..How great is that...Best of luck.

I plan on going on a nice beach hunt in March with my boyfriend. Maybe you & some other local hunters can hook up with us. We can share info and experience. I have a feeling if this cheap machine doesn't work in salt water, then I will try to modify it, or just save & get a quality machine.

ttyl, skt

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good Luck To ya And Have Fun :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread