Tested Splice Using New Waterproof Connectors on Excal With WOT Coil Spliced On.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tested the new connector for underwater splices that MT Pockets and I worked on. As some know, we spliced a WOT coil onto one of the 2 Excals I own, and I tested it this past Friday (1/29/2010) on a hunt. I hunted in the water chest deep at Daytona Beach (water was cold) for over an hour, keeping the conector and splice underwater the entire time.

The test was a complete success, Excal remained very stable, I could not see any difference between it being underwater and hunting the wet sand as far as stablity went. This will give me the ability to switch between WOT, Sunray S-12 or stock 10" BBS coil.

Excal ran as stable under water as it does on dry land. Connectors are rated for 10 meters underwater for 2 weeks, so my having it under water 2 to 4 foot for 3-8 hours at a time on any given hunt should not be a problem.

Link to the original thread of work in progress...http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,282156.msg2142162.html#msg2142162Here are some pictures, and info on the connectors.

Here is the link to product page, the connector I used is the Mini Buccaneer. Water and dustproof to IP68 when mated, IP68 rating tested at 15lb/sq in (10m depth) for 2 weeks
http://www.bulgin.co.uk/Products/Buccaneer/documents/PowerBuccMailer-2008-200dpi.pdf

Below is diagram of the two connectors with the internal parts.
Buccaneer_Mini_300px.jpg

Below are some pictures of mod done by MT Pockets and myself one night.

4wireconnectionbeforeRTVsilicone.jpg

We sealed the cable and wires in Blue RTV.
4witeconnectionwithRTVsilicone.jpg

Maleandfemaleconnectorafterfinishin.jpg

SpliceWithRTVSiliconetube.jpg

Spliceconnected.jpg

After this picture, I completed taping it to handle so it is secure and does not move when swinging it under water.......
DSCF2013.jpg

Special thanks to MT Pockets for an excellent job :icon_thumright:.........

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, didn't find anything, but the primary purpose of the hunt was to test the splice and I am very happy with the test results..........

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
Treasure_Hunter said:
Nope, didn't find anything, but the primary purpose of the hunt was to test the splice and I am very happy with the test results..........

sounds good. can't wait to see what you find with it. good luck, and ttysoon,

skt

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$25 for the complete connector set, including the male and female ends and cable protector on both ends. Note the Glass splice sold is $50 for the set of male and female connectors.

I do not recommend this on Excals under warramty, the mod would void any warranty on an Excal, my Excals are out of warranty......

Stumppass

Nov 14, 2010
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II WOT coil / Minelab Excalibur 800 /Minelab Excalibur II 1000 / Pro Pointer
HI - can you please provide the information on where you got the IP68 waterproof connectors and the the part numbers, that is if you still have it!

thanks in advance!
HH

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i thought you guys did this a long time ago and you decided against using them?
i have been meaning to do this and just have not got around to it yet!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The only thing I didnt see was shielding for the seperate wires,( I didnt look at the link) I have done 5 connector cables for towed underwater video, and several had shielding and put the shielding on and heat shrunk each and then heatshrunk the whole thing, then wrapped the cable with electrical tape, then heatshrunk that. It worked great, I showed what the boat looked like underwater to owners, and also towed the fish, and video was nice. So mine worked. I am glad yours worked, as shielding is needed, maybe you did do that. I used to be a marine electronics rigger, so I do know a few things about all this. I like your connector! Very nice, and glad it all worked out. I have a Whites PI, and as you know they dont have disconnects for the coil for the Whites PI, and thinking of using a larger coil on one. This might be a good thing to use.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stumppass said:
HI - can you please provide the information on where you got the IP68 waterproof connectors and the the part numbers, that is if you still have it!

thanks in advance!
HH

Info and link needed is in the opening post. ;D

If you type Bulkin USA in Google one of the first links you will get is below. Look for the Mini Buccaneer.....Tell them you need both the male and female ends.
http://www.bulgin.co.uk/usa_locator/usa_disiti_locator.html#
http://www.bulgin.co.uk/Products/Bu...nts/PowerBuccMailer-2008-200dpi.pdf

I no longer install the connectors myself, I decided to hardwire splice the coils since I am not changing the coils unless they go bad.

Here are 2 links to posts done on my excals using hardwire splices....

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,308437.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,322931.0.html

sandnsea49

Jan 16, 2005
Temperance, MI summer-Sarasota, FL winter
Detector(s) used
Etrac, XP Deus, Excalibur 1000, Whites Dual Field PI, Makro Multi Kruzer
I just did the same splice based on a previous post you made. I haven't tried it

in the water yet. The only trouble I had was I could not screw the flexible chord protector all the way in. It started to strip out when I turned it too tight, so it's only about half way in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread