Tesoro StingrayII

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
I just bought a used (refurbished) Tesoro Stingray II off ebay.
I wonder where he got the connectors? And, I hope they don't go out on me!
I was saving for the Etrac, then realized that the beach is were I have most of my fun and while the wife and kids loath metal detecting, they dig the beach. so I
started saving for the dream machine Excalibur. I'm tired of saving and Spring is just around the corner.
Wish me luck and any advice or pointers concerning the Stingray II would be greatly appreciated.
Dave

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I was watching the one you just bought. (Clearwater?) He turned down my offer, and I refused to go the price he was asking.

Good luck with it, the Tiger Shark replaced the Stingray II.... Your only problem is it is an older detector and if it needs repair you will have to send it to the states which is a long expensive trip from Japan. Stingray II was a good VLF detector.............As far as connectors, if they were not bad then Tesoro didn't need to replace them when he sent it in to Tesoro to be checked out.

OP
OP
D

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:
I think I was watching the one you just bought. (Clearwater?) He turned down my offer, and I refused to go the price he was asking.

Good luck with it, the Tiger Shark replaced the Stingray II.... Your only problem is it is an older detector and if it needs repair you will have to send it to the states which is a long expensive trip from Japan. StingrayII was a good PI detector.............As far as connectors, if they were not bad then Tesoro didn't need to replace them when he sent it in to Tesoro to be checked out.
Is it a PI?
I thought it was VLF.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oledavidboy said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

Good luck with it, the Tiger Shark replaced the Stingray II.... Your only problem is it is an older detector and if it needs repair you will have to send it to the states which is a long expensive trip from Japan. StingrayII was a good PI detector.............As far as connectors, if they were not bad then Tesoro didn't need to replace them when he sent it in to Tesoro to be checked out.
Is it a PI?
I thought it was VLF.

Sorry, it is a VLF, that is a mistype on my part. I had just finished talking to someone else about the Sand Shark and mistyped here..........I corrected my post.

Chris In W Georgia

Oct 25, 2004
I have been hunting with a Sting-Ray II for several yrs and for starters set the detector to fast Disc 1 and dig everything and pay very close attention to the softer sweet signals and you will be amazed at the gold you will find :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: I hunt only in freshwater though. Hopes this helps ya get started..... HH Chris In W Georgia

OP
OP
D

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Chris In W Georgia said:
I have been hunting with a Sting-Ray II for several yrs and for starters set the detector to fast Disc 1 and dig everything and pay very close attention to the softer sweet signals and you will be amazed at the gold you will find :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: I hunt only in freshwater though. Hopes this helps ya get started..... HH Chris In W Georgia
Thanks Chris,
We have a huge freshwater lake about a two hour drive from our house. I am planing on hunting it but Ill spend most of my time in the salt water.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I used that unit for a couple years. Good machine. Known to be very good on the smaller gold items. I dove with mine and shallow water searched and it was great. There was a retro-fit alert on the the clips that keep the unit closed, then they made them with a different style clip. What happens is , you catch something on the clip,and it lifts up and floods. You used to be able to send them in for the new clips. Contact tesoro to make sure you have the proper ones. Very helpful people at tesoro.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one of these Stingray II's before I bought my Tiger Shark and the rest of the crowd I am using. The first thing to do is clean out the coil cover the main cause of erratic operation. It is a VLF and a darn good one too for finding the smallest pieces of gold chains and charms along with the bigger stuff. You will have a ball with it. I liked to run mine in Disc after ground balancing in all metal and still kept the disc very low as I liked the silent search. Any little chirp you dig.

Good Luck, :hello:
Sandman

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't beat the Tesoro VLF silent search for small gold and large of course. If this unit is anything like my land Tesoros, you will love it. I still own an old Tesoro Toltec 80 and Toltec 100 and the Bandido. I have had the older ones since the late 1980s and may consider parting with them one day. The Toltec 80 found me a Two Piece Confederate CS Script Buckle, the most Valuable Relic Find of my hunting career. On a scale from 1 to 10 in Rarity, that buckle is a solid 9 plus.

Tesoro will help you out also. They are great. I still send my older Tesoros back to the factory when something goes wrong, which is seldom, but they repair them and send them back free of charge. They tweak them for me too if I ask to give them a good ole factory retune.

They are great machines and I would imagine yours will be no different.

DaChief

OP
OP
D

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
I had one of these Stingray II's before I bought my Tiger Shark and the rest of the crowd I am using. The first thing to do is clean out the coil cover the main cause of erratic operation. It is a VLF and a darn good one too for finding the smallest pieces of gold chains and charms along with the bigger stuff. You will have a ball with it. I liked to run mine in Disc after ground balancing in all metal and still kept the disc very low as I liked the silent search. Any little chirp you dig.

Good Luck, :hello:
Sandman
Sandman,
You mentioned cleaning out the coil cover to prevent erratic operation. Is this an easy procedure?
Also, were the settings you mentioned for salt water?
Thanks,
dave

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is only talking about the coil cover that pops on the coil, do not take your coil apart.....Sand gets in between coil and cover if it contains black sand it can cause your detector to be come eratic.

OP
OP
D

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:
He is only talking about the coil cover that pops on the coil, do not take your coil apart.....Sand gets in between coil and cover if it contains black sand it can cause your detector to be come eratic.
thats what i thought. just wanted to be clear on that. thanks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oledavidboy said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
thats what i thought. just wanted to be clear on that. thanks

No problem, just wanted to be sure you didn't think he meant to pry the coil apart before Sandman got back to you....Didn't want you to ruin your goil... :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions