Hunting along the Shorelines Gutter

herbcat

Jan 13, 2010
long island, ny
Detector(s) used
mx7 1776 king charles 111 silver reale
Re: Hunting along the Shoreline's 'Gutter'

:help:

i am shaking my head, but i will give you the benefit of the lack of experience...
you must swing the detector.

herb

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Technically not true the coil needs to be moving over a target to get a reply. Simply walking with the coil off the ground (not moving side to side will produce a reply to metal) in a straight line will work. Now you will cover less area,true only the coil diameter but it will work. It needs to be moving side to
side, back and forth, in a circle, up and down or in a straight line while walking!
herbcat said:

i am shaking my head, but i will give you the benefit of the lack of experience...

herb

herbcat

Jan 13, 2010
long island, ny
Detector(s) used
mx7 1776 king charles 111 silver reale

Buried Crap NJ said:
Technically not true the coil needs to be moving over a target to get a reply. Simply walking with the coil off the ground (not moving side to side will produce a reply to metal) in a straight line will work. Now you will cover less area,true only the coil diameter but it will work. It needs to be moving side to
side, back and forth, in a circle, up and down or in a straight line while walking!
herbcat said:

herb

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to TreasureNet My friend.

as The Very Helpfull Members above said
ideally The coil Must be moved side to side
especially if you have a DD Coil.

A Concentric Will work this way.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I do this often when my arm has finally gone and I am moving straight back to my car although it is not very productive. I would say that you shouldn't get into the practice. It is like picking up a bad habit. You have to always practice good technique and good technique is walking slow (baby steps), swinging your coil in a slow steady motion in an arc pattern around your body left to right and return while keeping the coil close and level to the ground throughout, setting out an identifiable search pattern (grid, spiral or other) designed to insure that you cover every inch of ground of your search area (I usually try to search a 90 ft. by 90 ft. box at a time and then repeat in another box).

Walking straight ahead with the coil low to the ground would cover the area the same way but you would have to turn at some point and insure that you overlap the same path on the return walk. It would be very difficult to insure you are not missing anything. The more disciplined manner mentioned above insures that you have little error for missing items. Its not the amount of ground you cover quickly, its the amount of ground you cover thoroughly that will get you the targets. You also have to understand that even when you do a grid, in order to insure you have had a good shot at getting all targets your detector is capable of finding, you have to cover that same grid not only north to south and east to west but diagonally at two angles also. Sounds like overkill (no pun intended) but I have lots of nice coins and artifacts that have come on the last grid angle after I have searched that same ground from 5 different directions. It has everything to do with the angle of the target to the detector head and the relativity of possible trash near the target.

In the end, an undisciplined hunter with a highly capable machine will miss many more targets than a disciplined hunter with a limited machine. ( o.k. i just coined the next great Chiefism nobody touch it. )

Don't get lazy, learn good habits and stick with them. Swing the coil, move slow, keep the coil level and close to the ground at all times and take the time to cover a predefined space thoroughly before moving on to another location and you will do well.

DaChief

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Overkill Overkill said:
Is it possible to effectively detect in the beach's gutter by walking down the beach without swinging the detector in 2 directions, but just merely moving the detector along with your body as you walk? Or does the detector work best when it's swung to and fro? Perhaps it depends on the detector?

Why would you take the time, and spend the money to go detecting, and not swing the coil to cover as much area as possible.....Makes no sense at all. :dontknow:

It is like paying $14.99 for an all you can eat crab buffet, then only eating the Jello...Whats the point.

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past

Treasure_Hunter said:
Overkill Overkill said:
Is it possible to effectively detect in the beach's gutter by walking down the beach without swinging the detector in 2 directions, but just merely moving the detector along with your body as you walk? Or does the detector work best when it's swung to and fro? Perhaps it depends on the detector?

Why would you take the time, and spend the money to go detecting, and not swing the coil to cover as much area as possible.....Makes no sense at all. :dontknow:

It is like paying $14.99 for an all you can eat crab buffet, then only eating the Jello...Whats the point.
Maybe he's just walking back to his car after he got done swinging or maybe he's walking the dog and maybe he just wants to know???

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Overkill Overkill said:

jangles said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Overkill Overkill said:

Maybe he's just walking back to his car after he got done swinging or maybe he's walking the dog and maybe he just wants to know???

That's not what he asked.....He asked "Is it possible to effectively detect in the beach's gutter by walking down the beach without swinging the detector in 2 directions, but just merely moving the detector along with your body as you walk?"

Will the detector work just walking, yes, is it effective, not even close...........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread