Another water sifter...

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This water sifter is the end result of making a couple of hard body sifters. I grew tired of being beaten and bruised by the PVC in rough surf. Especially in the shins.

The sifter is made from a kitchen basket from K-Mart. The same place for the 4” noodle.

As purchased, the basket bottom needed to be drilled with a series of holes matching the side holes.

The bottom view shows the pencil layout of the guide lines.

After the drilling is complete, its just a matter of cutting the noodle to fit and tie wrapping as needed.

I also tied a divers pouch to the end to be used a trash holder.

The 550 Paracord is set to the proper length for me. The snap swivel completes the project. The swivel is clipped to a D ring at the rear of my quick release belt.

Does it work? At times I have dumped three full scoops into it and it stays stable.

At rest, the holes on the bottom are about two inches below the surface. So it is almost self draining.

Hoping some of you guys can make use of this project.

Ralph

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,267
  • bottom.JPG
    bottom.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,273
  • A.JPG
    A.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,251
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,274
Upvote 0

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool creation there... :thumbsup:
Though I wonder if a wave could knock it over while you're out?
Would lid or something keep that from happening, or would that even be an issue? :dontknow:

Bran <><

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
That's one of the most professional looking sifter jobs I've ever seen. Very clean work. I feel ashamed of taking my own sifter out with me now, may try and get something like that together. Thanks for the pics.

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
godisnum1 said:
Very cool creation there... :thumbsup:
Though I wonder if a wave could knock it over while you're out?
Would lid or something keep that from happening, or would that even be an issue? :dontknow:

Bran <><
None issue.

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
S.S.Tupperware said:
cool, but ya holes are crooked... :tongue3:
I'll do better next time. I promise.

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New to water and beach detecting - if you have a sand scoop, what is the purpose of the sand sifter? Thanks.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Sifters are used mostly calm waters {lakes, Bay's,etc} for areas that have lots shells, rocks, mud/sand mixture like the bay here in Maryland. The scoop fills with this stuff and you have to dig thur your scoop spending valuable time looking for the target. Sometimes dumping the target out by accident while looking. Shells can hide a ring because they look alike, or mud can hide a target by coating it, sifters can be a life saver in these cases........joe

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OldeBeechnut -- Thanks for the explanation.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Montauk3 said:
S.S.Tupperware said:
cool, but ya holes are crooked... :tongue3:
I'll do better next time. I promise.
U really have 2 much time on your hands Cabin fever??cheer up warm weather is just around the corner

Attachments

• smiley pumpkin like.jpg
    smiley pumpkin like.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,036
  • smiley pumpkin like.jpg
    smiley pumpkin like.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,033
OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I've tried knitting but it seems to be lacking something.

My next project is to see how wearing divers flippers will help to fan sand away from the holes in the water.

Carry on!

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Montauk,

Your sifter looks great, good job! I have made several and I have found that lots of little holes sift the fine stuff just as good as larger holes but keep the really small targets from slipping thru. Could I ask why you settled on that size hole and why? I'm just curious!

I hunt with my sifter 100% of the time. I attach it to my pouch belt with a short (6 ft.) long rope. I also picked up a cool idea from Cupajo to use a small (duck decoy) anchor on a short (6 ft) rope it drags behind keeping the sifter from "crowding" me if wind, waves or current are trying to make it do so. It speeds up target recovery time (actually almost eliminates it) increases significantly the number of small stuff (vibra probe assisted) that would probably be missed in most scoops and carries my scoop when its not in use. I've used it in waves that no sane person would even consider hunting in and it did way better than I did. Also if worse comes to worse, my body or whats left will be attached to the big black bobber!!

I clip it to my scoop and then carry both on my shoulder for transport to & from water so really nothing extra to carry.

Please keep us informed on your sifter, any mods, suggestions etc.

Good luck & HH!

Steve

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
"Your sifter looks great, good job! I have made several and I have found that lots of little holes sift the fine stuff just as good as larger holes but keep the really small targets from slipping thru. Could I ask why you settled on that size hole and why? I'm just curious!"

I just matched the existing holes that were in the basket at the time of purchase.
The only holes I added were on the bottom portion.

I must add that your suggestion of a "duck weight" is a winner. That will be my next mod. Thanks.

Ralph

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
This latest mod using 1/4" screen allows even faster sifting.

Pop rivets seem to be holding up just fine. I hope the pics are self explanatory enough.

Attachments

• DSC00006.JPG
    DSC00006.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 813
  • DSC00007.JPG
    DSC00007.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 825
OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
MT Pockets said:
How does she handle with a scoopful in it?

That 1/4" hardware cloth is some good stuff..

Does she wanna sink a bit?
No problems with three scoops in mild water.
It sinks a wee bit but empty s pretty quick.
In my area, there are quite a bit of shells so it still needs a little shaking.

I will be adding a "duck weight" next time out.

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Hi, Just one word, Great ! word two , I Like it . Word three, I be going to make one. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread