new scoop hate the wooden handle

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just received my two new scoops from treasuredownunder.com.they improved the scoop. i would have gotten two big scoops but i got the last one. theirs more metal between holes and isnt like a screen plus the thru bolt is easy to get at.but the handle i dont like.your going to have to put your hand underwater just dig it in.so im going to have some kind of light s handle made up and put the s handle thru a small lobster bouy. any other thought on this? i know alum doesnt float,and i paint them orange also.i might just add a safety line that hooks to me or my float. but my main thought is on the s handle. frank

Upvote 0

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
I'm pretty sure he's talking about this one
looks cool, but the holes look tiny.
LG_WS_New_Style.JPG

OP
OP
F

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats the scoop im talking about.i got one big scoop and one small scoop. the newer scoop [my bigger one] has the holes apart apart more so theirs more meat inbetween the holes. also the nut that goes thru the pole is easier to get at. i was thinking that if they put a angle on the back of the scoop where the pole goes [ like a 45 degree angle instead of a 90 degree angle] that it might go into the sand without bending over as much. [remember the wind is your friend] use nature to help you instead of fighting it.

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excall II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
frankie said:
thats the scoop im talking about.i got one big scoop and one small scoop. the newer scoop [my bigger one] has the holes apart apart more so theirs more meat inbetween the holes. also the nut that goes thru the pole is easier to get at. i was thinking that if they put a angle on the back of the scoop where the pole goes [ like a 45 degree angle instead of a 90 degree angle] that it might go into the sand without bending over as much. [remember the wind is your friend] use nature to help you instead of fighting it.

It looks like the bracket where the handle attaches to the scoop is bolted on. If that is the case you could get some longer bolts and add some washers to create an angle. You could get extra bolts/washers and attach them along the edge of the bracket to distribute the load evenly. Say, 5 washers at the top, 2 washers at the middle, no washers at the bottom, as an example.

I also wonder about taking one of the black handles that they show at the "stealth" site and attaching it at the top of the wooden handle, with the black handle facing you. That way when you grab the black handle and extend your arm it will create more of a angle at the basket.

I have been thinking about buying the wood handled style of scoop myself so I have been pondering different ideas

OP
OP
F

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats not a bad idea.i really dont like the big handle. i bought one at home depo which was to big and i cut it down to fit. i can use it but i like things the way i like them.i like to be comfordable and have things as easy as possible with no problems. grear idea thanks

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
frankie said:
thats not a bad idea.i really dont like the big handle. i bought one at home depo which was to big and i cut it down to fit. i can use it but i like things the way i like them.i like to be comfordable and have things as easy as possible with no problems. grear idea thanks

No problem, keep us posted on what you do. If you can post a pic of the new scoop so we can see the new hole style you mentioned. HH.

OP
OP
F

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this might not be the place,but how do you send pictures? ive done it b4. i right click,cant find anything their or on the forum. once i get started i think i can go from their. i take the picture and from my album i transfer it from their to the forum how..im going to try to get it on here tonight.

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Sunspot Stealth and like the basket a lot. However it has the straight wood handle. I suggested to them to offer a alum or stainless steel handle with a loop at the top so you could position it for a straight shot down easier without having to bend over as far and such. They haven't gotten back to me. I may visit a wield shop and have some made up for me so all you have to do is unbolt the U clamps and slide in the metal handle with the proper bends or loop so your ready to go. HINT,,, HINT.

I could offer them for sale as an accessory for Sunspot owners and get rich. Anyone remember the old Miller scoop? Great handle but the basket was to small an holes to few.

Attachments

• Stealth Scoops.jpg
    Stealth Scoops.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 752
  • Stealth Scoops.jpg
    Stealth Scoops.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 761

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I run them through the table saw and then use a roundover bit on the router table

Attachments

• 3 scoops 3.jpg
    3 scoops 3.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 780
  • 3 scoops 3.jpg
    3 scoops 3.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 779

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:
I run them through the table saw and then use a roundover bit on the router table

I was going to PM you about where you got your scoop handles. They look really good on the Sunspot. :icon_thumright:

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Would a fiberglass handle work? I know they make them for shovels.

We used to drill our aluminum gaff handles and fill them with spray foam to get them to float. Aftco gaffs bob exactly seven times before they sink. (That is just enough time to clear two lines and start turning the boat.)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTbar said:
I ordered a Stealth scoop but it hasn't arrived yet. Do you think this fiberglass handle would fit into it?

http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/48-Fiberglass-Handle-p/719973.htm?click=1014
I didn't see where it told the dia. It has to be about one an a half inches dia. I have never broken a wood scoop handle on the Sunspot as they are all hardwood, maybe ash or hickory. Fiberglass handles could work but it it falls over in the water you have to fish for it. Wood handles stay upright in the waves.

OP
OP
F

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i love that everyone on this fourm works together to improve on our comford and our habit of detecting.it seems its all we live for. spend spend spend,rework our tools, ect.fiberglass i feel would break down after awhile if we get to ruff with it. and if it gets a chip in it, which then turns into splinters.you dont want fiberglass splinters. but i like the spray foam idea.i also was a fisherman for 25 years.miss it now. but back to the scoop. im going to get my scoop welded at about a 45 degree angle where the foot and post are. then im going to eather have a round pipe welded on down their by were you put your foot. which will be the size of round part of my post top or the size of a oak round handle. im eather doing something like that or have a s shape s/s handle made up with a pipe handle put on the s pipe about a foot or two up. then get some pipe insulation on the handle. i give these ideas to my welder and see what he thinks.he does welding for a living and im sure he will put in his two cents worth also. but im leaning toward the oak handle being placed into the round pipe which will be welded at the foot rest at a 45 degree angle.

Jun 12, 2008
Traveling USA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, V3I, Minelab Xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, 4500, Explorer, E-trac,Xterra705, Garrett GTI 2500I, Sea Hunter,Infinium, Gold, Garrett ATPro, Fisher F75, Gold Bug, Two Box, Electroscope, Regulat
New Scoop Different Flavors

As you know the scoop has been made for many years and has a track record as being one of the best in the industry. The angle scoops that are being produced now has been time tested and will out perform other scoops in durability and operation. We have a proto types that is being tested as I write this to you. It has an adjustable handle for diggers who want the angle less than 90 degrees. I tend to like the 6' long handles so I can pull targets just over the drop off in fresh water lakes. You know we tend to swing our coils over the drop off and always find that target that is hard to reach with the standard size 48" handle. We have been looking into Fiberglass handles but have not had much luck finding the perfect one.
Thank you for all your input on the Scoop we do listen and are working on getting scoops that fit every need. :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• Magnum Proto Type 90 & 60 deg handle position .jpg
    Magnum Proto Type 90 & 60 deg handle position .jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 493

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been using this mod for a couple of weeks now. No problems so far. (sand & shells)

Attachments

• mod6.JPG
    mod6.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 419
  • ProScoop#1.JPG
    ProScoop#1.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 415
  • mod6.JPG
    mod6.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 400
  • ProScoop#1.JPG
    ProScoop#1.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 406

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
technetics, fisher1280,excal11, whites dual field PI
i just got the biggest rtg scoop they make...im finding deep gold and ill die before the scoop does...nuff said ...hh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread