whats as good as excalibur or better

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i loved my excalibur and the way it performs. the sounds were real easy,it was made well,and strong and i like the rechargable battery.but im getting sick of waiting for my two to come. my friend tryied to order a coil for his minelab 4000 and their on back order and it might take a month. he also said he heard that mine lab is going out of business.. now if their selling metal detectors and moving to a new building like i heard, then i wouldnt think they would stop making detectors or you would think that they would have made enough for orders till a new place is ready. anyway im looking at other detectors around the $1000 plus line. like i said above on my likes .help

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
frankie said:
i loved my excalibur and the way it performs. the sounds were real easy,it was made well,and strong and i like the rechargable battery.but im getting sick of waiting for my two to come. my friend tryied to order a coil for his minelab 4000 and their on back order and it might take a month. he also said he heard that mine lab is going out of business.. now if their selling metal detectors and moving to a new building like i heard, then i wouldnt think they would stop making detectors or you would think that they would have made enough for orders till a new place is ready. anyway im looking at other detectors around the $1000 plus line. like i said above on my likes .help

Your friend is wrong, Minelab is not going out of business......Along with the move, Minelab had to ramp up production of the gold machines due to the demand overseas, which is why some parts and detectors are back ordered, back orders are a short live problem.....

Impatience is a nasty beast and causes us to make mistakes we live to regret later on...My advice is to wait for your Excal.....If your that impatient, look for a cheap Excal used, and when your new excal comes you will have a backup.....As much as you love your Excal, you will not be happy with something else in my personal opinion.

The backup to my Excal with WOT is another Excal, and the backup to that is a custom waterproofed Sovereign GT. I personally would not be happy with a water detector that did not null on iron, nor tell me when a gold ring is beside a piece of iron....................

Just my personal opinion is all... :wink:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marty, am so curious, did you waterproof your gt yourself? thats a dream come true on that one..

also, I seek out every big and small business that has detectors, you never know if a dealer has em in stock and you might just get one heck of a deal.. I would do like a 100-200 mile radius and see what you come up with.. its worth a shot..and that way too your covered with the warranty and if offered the extended warranty, I would go for that too since they recently changed the warranty to one year on new xcals ( am not 100 percent sure on that one so one of the others here may chime in on that one)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootybay said:
Marty, am so curious, did you waterproof your gt yourself? thats a dream come true on that one..

also, I seek out every big and small business that has detectors, you never know if a dealer has em in stock and you might just get one heck of a deal.. I would do like a 100-200 mile radius and see what you come up with.. its worth a shot..and that way too your covered with the warranty and if offered the extended warranty, I would go for that too since they recently changed the warranty to one year on new xcals ( am not 100 percent sure on that one so one of the others here may chime in on that one)

Hello Booty,

I lucked out on my custom waterproof Sovereign GT. a member here that I met once at Daytona was going through a divorce and put it up for sale on TN "for sale" board. I just happen to check the for sale forum 15 minutes after he posted it and was the first one to respond to the ad. RJNail did the custom work himself, used a new Sov GT at the time, put a WOT coil on it, Black Widow headphones, on a straight shaft , he put it inside an Aklite camera case and it came with the stock battery and a alkaline battery pack, all for $600. It was a steal, and although I have had it for almost 3 years now, I wouldn't sell it for less then $600 because it is such a unique set up and the Sovereign GT in the water is sweet...... :icon_thumright:

D

digum smacks

frankie i will answer your question.the best water machine is the aquasound.makes my excal2 look like a radio shack special.at $3000 expensive toy but well worth it."never"have to dig a bottle cap again try that with a excal :icon_scratch:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aquasound is a good detector, but it is very limited where you can use it. You can't use it where there is any black sand, The cleaner or whiter the sand, the deeper it goes, but tuning the machine is critical. It is also extremely expensive to have repaired, and that comes from someone I know who who owns one. It is a great unit in South Florida where there is no black sand...

Aquasound.jpg

You can use the Excal all day long in black sand for 1/3 the price of a new Aquasound...

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree with TH if your up here on the east end of LI its just pure white sand no black sand That Aquasound is a fantastic machine

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that looks like my hand in the video.....hang on that is my hand!

The Aquasound is an absolute beast and I'm very happy with it.

I've just joined the forum so thanks for letting me in.

Summer is just winding up down here but there should be plenty of gold laid down just waiting to be sniffed out.

Hope you guys have a great summer. Remember to send the heat back here when you're finished with it in September.... :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

Happy hunting,
Tony.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonyswaterhunts said:
Hey that looks like my hand in the video.....hang on that is my hand!

The Aquasound is an absolute beast and I'm very happy with it.

I've just joined the forum so thanks for letting me in.

Summer is just winding up down here but there should be plenty of gold laid down just waiting to be sniffed out.

Hope you guys have a great summer. Remember to send the heat back here when you're finished with it in September.... :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

Happy hunting,
Tony.
Welcome to T-Net isnt that a kick i put your vids on the post and there you are first post :laughing7: Great machine it looks like, i like your videos looking foward to seeing more :icon_thumleft: .Good luck and HH Jim

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Treasure_Hunter said:
frankie said:

Your friend is wrong, Minelab is not going out of business......Along with the move, Minelab had to ramp up production of the gold machines due to the demand overseas, which is why some parts and detectors are back ordered, back orders are a short live problem.....

Impatience is a nasty beast and causes us to make mistakes we live to regret later on...My advice is to wait for your Excal.....If your that impatient, look for a cheap Excal used, and when your new excal comes you will have a backup.....As much as you love your Excal, you will not be happy with something else in my personal opinion.

The backup to my Excal with WOT is another Excal, and the backup to that is a custom waterproofed Sovereign GT. I personally would not be happy with a water detector that did not null on iron, nor tell me when a gold ring is beside a piece of iron....................

My backup to my Excal backup is another Excal :laughing7: :icon_thumright: :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter said:
frankie said:

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aquasound is the ONE for the South Florida..........My primary Weapon ia Aquasound............
My back up is AQUASOUND.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I lived in South Florida area I might think about it, but too much black sand on the other beaches up here to make it worth while and repair costs have been reported to be very high by owners....

No doubt it is a killer on the beaches in south Florida though.......... :icon_thumright:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: whats as good as excalibur or better

That is easy, a waterproof Sov GT. If it had a beer spout it would be perfect. There are some PI's that are deeper, but how much time do you waste just digging one hole for a nail or piece of wire?

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I wil agree and do own one the aquasound on low mineral beaches will beat any water detector out. Takes some knowledge on tuneing
works alot like a Nautulis. Was at myrtle beach a week or two ago and found three gold rings in 4 days. buddy that lives there and hunts alot has found 0 in three months. All were Deeeep. He was hunting with me one day with his soverign 10 in coil and I dug a nice heavy 10k ring very near him. he said next siginal you get yell at me. Next deep signial I said here is a good one. He came over with the Soverign checked and said there is nothing there. About 14 in down I dug a dime out he said if I did not see that I would not have belived it. As said before you will never dig a beer cap again if you do not want too. I have one and want another for a back up. at about $2500 they are not cheap and the guy who makes thim is not giving any deals.

Jason

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
sandsifter said:
I bet if your buddie had a 15" WOT on his Sov. he would have heard it

Maybe but the 10 inch land coil on the aquasound is light as a feather and I have swung the WOT and it is heavy he!!.
14 in on a dime is pretty good I do not care where you are hunting. I have sold my sovergin but still have a excal. There
is no way you will beat the aquasound for depth at the beach with a 10 in coil and you will not have a pocket full of beer caps
like with the soverign and excal. The excal will work better when you have alot of black sand that is while I still have mine for those
type situations. The aquasound gets used 95% of the time though if you can balance it it will out do any thing out there. It is 15 year or older
technology looks like some one would have something better to beach hunt but I have not found it yet. PI depth but no iron digging does
not get much better than that.

Jason

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in TN said:
sandsifter said:

Maybe but the 10 inch land coil on the aquasound is light as a feather and I have swung the WOT and it is heavy he!!.
14 in on a dime is pretty good I do not care where you are hunting. I have sold my sovergin but still have a excal. There
is no way you will beat the aquasound for depth at the beach with a 10 in coil and you will not have a pocket full of beer caps
like with the soverign and excal. The excal will work better when you have alot of black sand that is while I still have mine for those
type situations. The aquasound gets used 95% of the time though if you can balance it it will out do any thing out there. It is 15 year or older
technology looks like some one would have something better to beach hunt but I have not found it yet. PI depth but no iron digging does

Jason

I have been using a WOT on my Sovereign GTs (have 2) for over 3 years and one of my Excal's now has a WOT, to me they are not heavy, but I always hunt with the harness and bungee no mater what detector I am using (I have 6), to me it makes no sense not to use the harness and bungee, it just makes hunting so much more comfortable and fun. I have pulled targets over 14 inches using the WOT coil on my Sovereign on the beaches here.....The sovereign with the WOT coil is a lot deeper then the Sovereign with the stock 10 inch coil.......

With that said, I am by no means refuting anything said about the Aquasound, I have a friend in South Florida who rakes in the gold with his....

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Treasure_Hunter said:
Jason in TN said:
sandsifter said:

Jason

I have been using a WOT on my Sovereign GTs (have 2) for over 3 years and one of my Excal's now has a WOT, to me they are not heavy, but I always hunt with the harness and bungee no mater what detector I am using (I have 6), to me it makes no sense not to use the harness and bungee, it just makes hunting so much more comfortable and fun. I have pulled targets over 14 inches using the WOT coil on my Sovereign on the beaches here.....The sovereign with the WOT coil is a lot deeper then the Sovereign with the stock 10 inch coil.......

With that said, I am by no means refuting anything said about the Aquasound, I have a friend in South Florida who rakes in the gold with his....

I will agree with the WOT being deep. I have a bum shoulder and have a hard time swinging it tried a harness but got in my way to much digging and such. Last time out I dug a 3oz sinker at about two feet with the aquasound. That being said the best part is I have not had to dig a single beer cap with it, to me that is a great advantage. You never get the time back wasted digging those beer caps.

Jason

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Boy I messed up what I really meant to say is buy a excal the Aquasound is way to expensive and hard to tune.
I will keep using mine just because I already have it. I will just ;D and wave to those excal guys on the beach.

Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread