Water Temperatures Appropriate for Wet/Dry Suits

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
So for 7 hrs a day for 2-3 days you plan on being immersed in water temps that are below your core body temp? Yeah, a wetsuit(3mm) at minimum would be recommended. Personally, a dry suit would be what I would use.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overkill Overkill said:
Hello all,

I plan to be in 70 or so degree water probably at the max up to my lowerchest. If I stay in, say, from 7 am - 10 am and then 3 pm - 7 pm for 2-3 days, do you think a wet or dry suit might be necessary/comfortable?

Thanks!

If the max the water gets is 70 degrees a wet suit will make you a whole lot more comfortable, although not absolutely necessary, it is highly recommended. Natural springs are 65 degrees and we swim in them for a long time without anything on. You say you will be in the water for 3 to 4 hours straight, but you don't usually stay chest deep the entire time, as you hunt you usually vary in your depth, surf conditions, tides, you get thirsty, work closer to shore when you notice people entering the water and see then go into a hole, lots of variables in water hunting.

Dry suit is nice but very expensive, you can pick up a nice used wetsuit for under $40. I have 3 for hunting, one farmer john long sleeve 3 mm (EBay, paid $37 shipped to door) , one shorty, mid sleeve 3mm ( EBay, $20 shipped to door), and one shorty, short sleeve 3mm. ($15 garage sale)

What beach and what time of year are you going?

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sounds like jercyerchan beach on the south coast.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overkill Overkill said:
I'll be going in early May around St. Pete/Clearwater area. Thanks for everyone's replies!

Heck, if your going to St Pete in May the water temperature will be getting close to 80 degrees by then, not really going to need a wet suit, although it will make you comfortable. A wet suit is nice till the weather gets hot, then it becomes hot wearing one if your not underwater or constantly chest deep....

I thought you were going in 70 degree water..... The average high in St Pete in May is 86, the average low is 71.

http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?wealocations=wc:USFL0438

OP
OP
O

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
Thanks for all your replies. I figured I would take the worst possible scenario, so I choose the low end of the predicted temperature for that time of year.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Being submersed in the water for an extended period of time, even 85 degree water, absolutely requires a wetsuit at the minimum. 70 degree water...3 hours at a time. Sure. Go get one. I use a 5mm one. I also live in new england and go 8 months of the year or try to.

One thing you don't wanna mess with is hypothermia. Its a creeper. And It can hit ya anytime. I even get cold with the 5mm after a few hours.

Hope this helps...you need the suit. Three essentials...scoop, detector, and suit. Booties and gloves are next. HH -Joe

Overkill Overkill said:
Hello all,

I plan to be in 70 or so degree water probably at the max up to my lowerchest. If I stay in, say, from 7 am - 10 am and then 3 pm - 7 pm for 2-3 days, do you think a wet or dry suit might be necessary/comfortable?

Thanks!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't need a Drysuit for those temps at that location. Besides you can't comfortably pee in a drysuit. A wetsuit shorty will suit you fine and not cost no where near as much.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Water temp is close to 80 here about 40 miles south of where U will B and I was in today for 4 hours, and all last week in a bathing suit & T shirt I hunt from as deep as I can go to knee high

JUST GO HUNT

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted more then 8 hours in 80 degree water with out a problem, in fact in water that warm when it is over 90 degrees if your not careful you will get overheated in a wetsuit.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread