Miller scoop

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X
I saw a question asked in one of the threads.

"what is a miller scoop"

To me it is the best scoop ever made. It was made by to older brothers in Pennsylvania.

I have been using this scoop since the mid 80's. Used it on east coast beaches, Great lakes, inland lakes, Hawaii and Florida beaches. There use to be two foam pieces that would make it float (zero buoyant)
I weigh over 250lbs and can really put the pressure on it, it has never gave any indication it could break.

Attachments

• IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0949.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 862
  • IMG_0950.JPG
    IMG_0950.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 886
Upvote 0

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally thats it the Miller scoop :hello2: i saw a video last year of someone using a miller scoop ? on You Tube since then i forgot the name of the scoop :dontknow: until now was that you in that video ? is that a one of a kind scoop ,that scoop intrigued me because i to weigh 260 6-4 " and that scoop looks like it would last as i see it did all those years ,where did you get that scoop is it home made ? Thanks for any information DD60

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I asked that question. I've seen those scoops before but did not know that that was what it was called. So thanks for the answer. As for the video. That was a video that Oldbeechnut did of Ron Lord hunting in the Gulf.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This scoop would be better for me if the basket had more holes like the Sunspot. The handle means you can position it properly and pull it back toward you before lifting it up. The down side for me is the closed top which might make the use of a floating sifter necessary. Something else to have to carry to the water and back. If you decide to leave the water to wet sand hunt what are you going to do with the sifter?

I like the loop handle on the one in the pic.

BTW Mumszie I have that video saved to a shortcut on my desk top. Oldebeechnut makes some great videos!

Attachments

• Loop Handle scoop.jpg
    Loop Handle scoop.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,176
  • Loop Handle scoop.jpg
    Loop Handle scoop.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,188

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mumszie said:
I asked that question. I've seen those scoops before but did not know that that was what it was called. So thanks for the answer. As for the video. That was a video that Oldbeechnut did of Ron Lord hunting in the Gulf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvcETc9VZDg
Yep thats the video :thumbsup: thanks DD60

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
You got it Sandman.... Oldbeechnut does make some good videos which are informing. I like his shows a lot. I wish he did more. One of the things I like is that he does it with different people and then you get to see them in action. Those are worth more than mere words. :wink:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
This scoop would be better for me if the basket had more holes like the Sunspot. The handle means you can position it properly and pull it back toward you before lifting it up. The down side for me is the closed top which might make the use of a floating sifter necessary. Something else to have to carry to the water and back. If you decide to leave the water to wet sand hunt what are you going to do with the sifter?

I like the loop handle on the one in the pic.

BTW Mumszie I have that video saved to a shortcut on my desk top. Oldebeechnut makes some great videos!
That loop handle looks to have just as much leverage as the miller scoop and looks a little lighter also either would be good that miller scoop lasted over 30 years ? geezz i wonder if i showed the video to a friend who has his own shop he makes huge cooler racks with rod holders for 4x4 trucks and suv,s he made me one custom for my Bronco the front it holds a 126 gallon cooler and 6 surf rods all out of alumiume and stainless and he could have a good referance on how to make me a scoop .

OP
OP
Old Tom

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
From what I remember. They were being made by two older brothers and getting very popular.
One of the brothers died and the other did not continue making them.

They were pretty expensive back then, in the $120 to $150 range. I had two of them, but sold one to a friend.
I wish I had not done that.

I am very happy with the design. I think it has just the right number of holes. The sand washes out very easy.
I put a good magnet (tie wrapped to the bottom) it catches the bobby pins and nails. I use a Whites PI.
If you shake it right, you can catch the smaller items in the basket, where the bottom meets the side (no holes there) and get those small items before they fall out of the scoop, things like ear ring backs and small charms.

Mine has a 7 inch round basket. There were other styles and sizes.

I do think it helps being ...strong, it is being a heavy duty scoop and when full of wet sand and shells .. and maybe
some gold too .. it can be heavy.

The only time I would use a floating sifter was in Chesapeake bay, where the was a clay type bottom with shells, everyone was using floating sifters there.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Sandman & Mumsize

I enjoyed making the video's and meeting these pirates, all good people. I do have a few more Video's lined up to do, Late May I will be in Florida to video finderzzs, and chuck in Miami. Then this summer Oc Md to catch OC Jeff and butch of Oc both hunt in the deep {and I mean shoulder deep, over the head waves}............... Here is a shorty for you Sandman on your scoop in the pic. Almost the same as the miller, works just like it. Back in the earlier 80's the scoops were called retrievers, most had weird shape hoops and they were heavy. Then the Miller scoop came out in production for a few years..and to this day are still the number one choice for the Bay. Very Hard to find..This video should bring back a few memories for you OldTom

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good video :icon_thumleft: it shows that scoop well i wish i could get my hands on one DD60

OP
OP
Old Tom

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Frank,

I have hunted many places where you can't see them bottom. Even hunted Hawaii beaches at night.

It is really not that hard.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Old Tom said:
Frank,

I have hunted many places where you can't see them bottom. Even hunted Hawaii beaches at night.

It is really not that hard.

I might get a chance to find out a friend loaned me his water detector and hope to try it out soon

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you'll like the video ? my scoop is 30 + years old,and you can't beat a miller scoop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my miller scoop was in my shop back in 95 when it burned to the ground . the handle disappeared in the fire and the basket has been hanging around for 23 years . could somebody that has one give me the measurements of the handle and the size of the tubing so i can have one made....it's the same one thats in old toms pic.....

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scoop handles Good topic

I've experimented and I like my Stealth 720i with cf handle and custom assist handle

Attachments

• IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1619.JPG
    IMG_1619.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 112

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
my miller scoop was in my shop back in 95 when it burned to the ground . the handle disappeared in the fire and the basket has been hanging around for 23 years . could somebody that has one give me the measurements of the handle and the size of the tubing so i can have one made....it's the same one thats in old toms pic.....
Got one, give me a few days to get it out of storage. I used one for a few years but had to tie it to a long rope and let it float behind me for the detector really picks it up, like a big hunk of metal.

gobble-gobble

Sep 7, 2012
North Port , Florida
Detector(s) used
own, excal 1000, excal. II , explorer II, Fisher CZ21, Vibra-Tector

Sold-BHID (2), DetecorPro-PI, Fisher CZ 2o, Fisher1280, Sovereign & many other minelabs & whites detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had two of them. My biggest mistake was selling them. They are the BEST

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread