Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Dry Sand Beach Hunters !

I've been to a large beach at a fresh water lake a couple of times recently and digging in the sand with a handheld dirt trowel is the pits ! But being a coin & jewelry hunter, I'll be concentrating on this beach this summer and need a better digging tool.

I checked out the various sand scoop models offered on the RTG website. Having no experience with scoops, I need help deciding on the best starter model. I prefer aluminum, due to lightweight and lower cost.

Can you give me some recommendations and suggestions ?

Todd :help:

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dry sand requires a different scoop than the wet. My favorite is from RTG also and is a RTG Beachmaster. I like it because it has a foot rest for pushing it into the sand an I don't have to bend over. It is light weight but heavy duty.

Attachments

• RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 538
  • RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 513
OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Dry Sand Scoop......Need help deciding, REV. 1

Sandman said:
Dry sand requires a different scoop than the wet. My favorite is from RTG also and is a RTG Beachmaster. I like it because it has a foot rest for pushing it into the sand an I don't have to bend over. It is light weight but heavy duty.

Thanks Sandman !

Unfortunately, the website program didn't print my "Tag" under the post title and the tag asked the following questions.

Drag or Push type ?, Scoop Dia. ?, Straight handle at 90 or 20 degrees ?, or Arc-shaped handle ?

The RTG Beachmaster is more than I can spend. If you don't mind, could you give me your opinions in response to the above questions. Then I'll be better prepared to choose a model and at a price I can afford.

Todd

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Todd, the link for Reilly Treasure Gold is http://www.rtgstore.com/

The RTG Beachmaster is the dry sand one I use. It's made for pushing into the sand with an off-set handle that is not at 90 degrees. Dia of the basket is about 6 inches and can double for in the water. For in the water I use Sunspot Stealths which are costly too, but will last a life time.

The RTG store also has many good alum scoops that are cheaper than the Beachmaster. Just for dry sand you should use one with a screen so the sand sifts out fast. Stay away from the plastic ones.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I use a 2-in-1 Beachmaster that was bought at Kellyco. It was about $60. The handle extends to fit the user. It is lightweight. It has a smaller scoop, but I'm in no rush to recover a target on dry sand and I can accurately pinpoint not needing to scoop the beach to find a dime.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sandman said:
Hi Todd, the link for Reilly Treasure Gold is http://www.rtgstore.com/

The RTG Beachmaster is the dry sand one I use. It's made for pushing into the sand with an off-set handle that is not at 90 degrees. Dia of the basket is about 6 inches and can double for in the water. For in the water I use Sunspot Stealths which are costly too, but will last a life time.

The RTG store also has many good alum scoops that are cheaper than the Beachmaster. Just for dry sand you should use one with a screen so the sand sifts out fast. Stay away from the plastic ones.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Thanks again Sandman........your the best !!

Todd :)

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Diver_Down said:
I use a 2-in-1 Beachmaster that was bought at Kellyco. It was about $60. The handle extends to fit the user. It is lightweight. It has a smaller scoop, but I'm in no rush to recover a target on dry sand and I can accurately pinpoint not needing to scoop the beach to find a dime.

Hi Diver_Down !

Thanks for pitching-in to help me. :thumbsup:

Looks like you got a good deal on the Beachmaster at $60.00.........they sell for around $100.00 new, plus S&H !

Since I'm just getting started at beach hunting and have already spent a lot on land equipment, I think I'll just use the information from you, Sandman and what I can see on the web, to design and build my own scoop. I can spot-weld using my Arc welder or design a small hand scoop that can be Pop-riveted together, to get me started. Later on I can always up-grade to something really nice from RTG when the money is available. Until I start bringing home some cashable gold, I need to keep a low profile on hobby costs. :wink:

HH !...........Todd

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
On a budget, go to a Feed store and buy a galvanized grain scoop for $9.95. Take it home, dig out the hand drill with a 3/8 or 1/2 inch drill bit and start drilling holes in the bottom and several in the back of it. It will sift sand just fine and has a sharp edge at the opening that will cut roots and hard ground. I used one for years before I bought a fancy one. Money is tight and grain scoops will do just as good as anything. :thumbsup:

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
I have serious back issues and thankfully the kneel and dig is not an activity that aggrevates it. Sooo...when doing the dry sand....I use the same plastic kitty litter scoop I bought at the dollar store ....maybe six years ago. :icon_thumleft:Works great.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FLauthor said:
On a budget, go to a Feed store and buy a galvanized grain scoop for $9.95. Take it home, dig out the hand drill with a 3/8 or 1/2 inch drill bit and start drilling holes in the bottom and several in the back of it. It will sift sand just fine and has a sharp edge at the opening that will cut roots and hard ground. I used one for years before I bought a fancy one. Money is tight and grain scoops will do just as good as anything. :thumbsup:

Thanks FLauthor ! Great tip. :thumbsup: There are a couple of Feed stores not too far from me.

Todd

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jopher said:
I have serious back issues and thankfully the kneel and dig is not an activity that aggrevates it. Sooo...when doing the dry sand....I use the same plastic kitty litter scoop I bought at the dollar store ....maybe six years ago. :icon_thumleft:Works great.

Here's a thought jopher ! I could say it's for our four cats and take it along to the beach occasionally for a good cleaning.......make points with the wife. :wink:

Seriously, that's a good tip.

Thanks,
Todd

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, instead of making my own sand scoop, I found a good deal at Kellyco, for $34.95 including SH.

Post modified 5-09-2010 AM, to add following:
Placed order online May 02, 2010 and received product May 06, well packed and am pleased with the scoop ! Plan to detect on dry sand mostly. Can hook handle on my belt and use both hands to carry other stuff. Aluminum won't rust and can't afford stainless steel with longer handle right now. (Sorry I didn't include this in the first edition.)

Scoop photo below.

Attachments

• Pro Forward Handle Speed Scoop_ KellyCo 519-34f.jpg
    Pro Forward Handle Speed Scoop_ KellyCo 519-34f.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 284

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would go for one with more handle, unless your back can take bending over for 3 or 4 hours.....one on ebay for 32 dollars, a great starter scoop

24 INCH OVERALL, KNEE HIGH HEAVY DUTY GALVANIZED SAND SCOOP FOR METAL DETECTING, $50 LIST UNIT, 5 INCH WIDE BASKET WITH 5/8 INCH HOLES. SOFT ORANGE PLASTIC HANDLE. STOP RINGS AND COIN'S INSIDE FOR EASY PICK UP. STOP BENDING OVER ALL THE WAY. SAVE'S TIME AND YOUR BACK!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAND-SCOOP-24-M...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eaca3785a

Attachments

• 88dc_2.jpg
    88dc_2.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 318
OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OldeBeechnut said:
I would go for one with more handle, unless your back can take bending over for 3 or 4 hours.....one on ebay for 32 dollars, a great starter scoop

24 INCH OVERALL, KNEE HIGH HEAVY DUTY GALVANIZED SAND SCOOP FOR METAL DETECTING, $50 LIST UNIT, 5 INCH WIDE BASKET WITH 5/8 INCH HOLES. SOFT ORANGE PLASTIC HANDLE. STOP RINGS AND COIN'S INSIDE FOR EASY PICK UP. STOP BENDING OVER ALL THE WAY. SAVE'S TIME AND YOUR BACK

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAND-SCOOP-24-M...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eaca3785a

OldeBeechnut,

Thanks for the advice. I may have to go for a model with longer handle in the future.

ToddB64

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Sandman said:

Only problem with them is that the scoop is galvanized and not SS and will quickly rust if used in or near the salt water. The constant digging will wear off the galvanized coating and leave the bare metal. Been there,done that. I now use a scoop that is similar but is made of SS mesh wire

Attachments

• ScoopsUnlimTrvlFrnt.jpg
    ScoopsUnlimTrvlFrnt.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 248

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Erikk,

That is a nice looking scoop - is it just a sand scoop or a combo? Where did you get it? Thanks.

Darryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions