Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

I have been detecting for 10 years now (land) and now want to switch my attentions to water :) mainly rivers and streams I have read some of the threads on this board and I'm a bit puzzled to which detector to get :help:
I did plan on getting a Whites Surfmaster pro :-\ but I read there are not suitable for fresh water :dontknow: preferably I would like a detector that was suited to fresh and saltwater :P is there one :dontknow:

I don't plan on being totally submerged, but want to be able to drop the detector in the drink if necessary :D any help would be welcome :icon_thumleft:

SS

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't that the White's Surfmaster Pro isn't good for fresh water, it is just that there is more iron trash in fresh water that takes longer to rust away. You can wear yourself out digging tiny pieces of iron and bird shot.

One of the best for fresh water is the Excalibur because it is almost as deep as the Pulse units, but has superior discrimination. Also very good for fresh water is the CZ-20 & 21, 1280. Also the Tiger Shark and BHID. I didn't like the White's BHID only because the coil floated to much while the coils from the others don't have to be forced down while in the water.

On the coasts where there is lots of sand movement a Pulse handles the salt and black sand well while reaching down for deep targets like wires, screws and anything metal. You really need different tools to enjoy the hobby the most.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
It isn't that the White's Surfmaster Pro isn't good for fresh water, it is just that there is more iron trash in fresh water that takes longer to rust away. You can wear yourself out digging tiny pieces of iron and bird shot.

One of the best for fresh water is the Excalibur because it is almost as deep as the Pulse units, but has superior discrimination. Also very good for fresh water is the CZ-20 & 21, 1280. Also the Tiger Shark and BHID. I didn't like the White's BHID only because the coil floated to much while the coils from the others don't have to be forced down while in the water.

On the coasts where there is lots of sand movement a Pulse handles the salt and black sand well while reaching down for deep targets like wires, screws and anything metal. You really need different tools to enjoy the hobby the most.

Sandman nailed it.......... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:

This is what I was afraid of :-\ I don't want an arsenal of detectors, thanks for the good advice :icon_thumleft:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread