disappearing signals???

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I am not sure about the area you are in, but I know if there is iron in the ground and as you dig the halo gets broken which can then lead to the signal disappearing or the signal changing to iron. Hope this helps.

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
hemi1500 said:
On wednesday i was swinging in a quad volleyball court. A few times i got a signal then pinpointed it, started to dig went back to check the target again and there is no signal. Whats up with that, i was in all metal mode with sensitivity about 3/4.

Check out my Tip Clip #1....this happens pretty frequently in sand especially dry soft sand and wet "slurry" sand.....check it out....Hope this helps!

[youtube=425,350]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

OP
OP
H

hemi1500

Thanks, i'll keep trying so far i have dug a few coins, most other stuff is tabs caps and crap. I did find a dog tag and contacted the dept of agriculture and markets through which i contacted the owner of the dog and returned the tag to him. The one thing i had in mind was to get a excel coil to cover more ground and go deeper. what do you all think?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hemi1500 said:
Thanks, i'll keep trying so far i have dug a few coins, most other stuff is tabs caps and crap. I did find a dog tag and contacted the dept of agriculture and markets through which i contacted the owner of the dog and returned the tag to him. The one thing i had in mind was to get a excel coil to cover more ground and go deeper. what do you all think?

I have several water detectors, you can not beat the wide DD coils when you have a large area you want to hunt. I have several large DD coils myself, a couple WOTs (15 inches) 1 SunRay S-12 (12.5 inches) and 1 SEF Butterfly (15 inch X 18 inch).

Good luck and good hunting....... :icon_thumright:

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
hemi1500 said:

The question I have for you is....How proficient are you at pinpointing? Can you get a shallow target first scoop 85% of the time or better? Alot of times inaccurate pinpointing can cause that target to slip onto its side and you will literally lose the signal....becoming good at pinpointing with your standard size coil first should be your biggest priority before running out to get a bigger deeper seeking coil.....once you are getting a shallow target on the first scoop 95% of the time or better then go for that bigger coil....jumping the gun usually leads to frustration....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surfdigger said:
hemi1500 said:

The question I have for you is....How proficient are you at pinpointing? Can you get a shallow target first scoop 85% of the time or better? Alot of times inaccurate pinpointing can cause that target to slip onto its side and you will literally lose the signal....becoming good at pinpointing with your standard size coil first should be your biggest priority before running out to get a bigger deeper seeking coil.....once you are getting a shallow target on the first scoop 95% of the time or better then go for that bigger coil....jumping the gun usually leads to frustration....

Surfdigger is correct, if you have trouble pinpointing with the stock 10 inch coil your going to have a major problem with the large coil....For me it is a breeze pinpointing with the large DD coils, but I have been doing it for over 2 years now, large DD coil is what I hunt with 99.9 % of the time.

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
Are you digging or scooping? For me in fine sand, scooping is the best digging method. If a target gets turned sideways, you can loose the signal. But if you dig an extra time, you may regain the signal. And the guys are right, if you have problems pinpointing, a larger coil will work against you. HH Gayle

OP
OP
H

hemi1500

oh, i use a scoop for sand. I have pinpointing down pretty good. I just wanted opinions on the 10X14 i think thats what it is for the excel coil for my ace 250. I will take the other suggestions about the loosing signal.

thank you

OP
OP
H

hemi1500

is the 10x14 excel the only bigger coil available for the ace 250

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hemi1500 said:
is the 10x14 excel the only bigger coil available for the ace 250

Yes that is the only large coil available from what I have heard....

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hemi1500 said:
On wednesday i was swinging in a quad volleyball court. A few times i got a signal then pinpointed it, started to dig went back to check the target again and there is no signal. Whats up with that, i was in all metal mode with sensitivity about 3/4.
I have that happen pretty frequently with my MXT... Strong signal, dig, check plug and hole, no more signal... Have no idea what is up.. Not iron signal either, usually pulltab range or in the high 70's....

OP
OP
H

hemi1500

Should i get the coil, i dont want to say waste money, and i use that term loosely, or should the $ be put to fund a better detector?

thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread