Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excalibur II, Tesoro Lobo ST, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
D

digum smacks

yes, try detecting when the waves arent beating the crap out of you.also even if you are a pro its still a little tough.calm water is your friend. a tsunami is not.i think this will clear up the whole question,also its alot slower going of coarse,cover an area good .its easy to miss area coverage while in the water.i think experience is the key get out there and you will get the hang of it in no time

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
What many people don't realize is water detecting is a lot more work than hunting on the sand.

Not only are you fighting the resistance of the water when you swing the coil, you are often fighting waves and currents, and trying not to be pushed over by the movement of the water.

And when you do get tone, you are digging against the water in wet sand and shells, often not being able to see the bottom. So you balance yourself, dig in the water, watch for waves, then bring the scoop (usually using one arm) to the surface - and it weighs at least twice what it would on the sand (because it is wet).

And then you do it again, and again, and again.

In water hunting you'll need more arm strength, a good sense of balance, an awareness of what's around you (especially waves), and patience, patience, patience.

I was out in the water for about 3 hours yesterday at slack tide, and it was a very pleasant experience - but also very hard work.

Slack tide is a good time to practice your water hunts. Less waves and current to deal with, and you can practice swinging the coil under water. Plus you can find out whether your finds bag floats, and see what other equipment you might want to bring or leave in the car.

Do it for a few hours and you'll learn to swing the coil slowly, take a step, swing again slowly, and continue that until you get a tone.

It has been said you'll find 10 times more jewelry in the water than on the sand. But what most water hunters know, but rarely say is it also takes ten times more effort, preparation and patience to water hunt.

Bill

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My technique is to swear a lot in rough water. Most folks that hunt dry don't realize that its a different and tougher game when you enter the water.It's almost like work.

Flat water, it's a pleasure.

Rough water, the concerns are getting knocked down... sting rays...sharks...jelly fish...
And the biggy is rip currents...Just ask Ed.

When I work the rough water, I use quick release belt that has everything attached to it.
I wear stingray guards. I use an inflatable PFD.

At my age I don't take unnecessary chances.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Follow Bill's advice. I would add to run your cable down the side of your shaft to cut water resistance. I hang my Excal, CZ-20 or Tiger Shark from my neck so I don't have the weight or resistance of the box in the water either. I have the top of the shaft bungee corded to my waist so it is always right there where I can reach it. The scoop has to be big with a lot of holes for fast sifting. Many times you need to make many scoops while trying to keep your balance in the waves and keep from being blown away from your target. I don't attach the scoop to me in any way. I too wear a PFD with a quick inflate feature.
Try not to make it work, but move slow and have fun.

Learn to reconize rip currents by sight and good luck.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Also, go with the flow. I see many people trying to swing against an incoming wave and again against a receding wave. :icon_scratch: Let the motion of the ocean work for you. If you are hunting parallel to the shore, then let ebb and flow work for you by timing your swings. Go slow and stay safe.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
Also, go with the flow. I see many people trying to swing against an incoming wave and again against a receding wave. :icon_scratch: Let the motion of the ocean work for you. If you are hunting parallel to the shore, then let ebb and flow work for you by timing your swings. Go slow and stay safe.

You didn't say where your hunting or the water conditions?

Diver_Down nailed it, if your working in the surf, let the water motion work with you, instead of against you, it is what I do......

Try to start your hunt at least a couple hours before low tide, on many beaches there are sandbars at low tide to break the surf, and it gives you calm waters for a couple hours to hunt in. (1 hr before and 1 hr after low tide depending on beach conditions)

Keep one eye on the incoming waves, try to recover the target in between the waves, this is where a large scoop comes in real handy, a 5 inch scoop in the surf is useless and hold your foot or scoop on the target location if your hit by a wave.

If the surf is over 2.5 feet it is usually not worth the fight in water much deeper then knee deep, at least for me...

Rip currents are dangerous, know how to get out of one....Rip current can also be your friend the next day as many times they dig holes that open up the beach vault....

Have you read the section on beach hunting on The Golden Olde, if not read it......http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

Last but not least, DROWNING IS NOT AN OPTION ! Don't put yourself in an unsafe situtation just to recover what you hope is something nice.......

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the cause of some really good machines turning up on Craigslist and EBAY. Not that I mean this about you but lots of folks get into the hobby without realizing it is a ton of work to hunt in the water. The upside is that there are lots of things to be found in the water.

I have been beaten nearly unconcious by waves, I have had my equipment ripped from my body, I have stepped in my own hole that I was digging and went over my head, I have stepped on Stingrays, seen sharks, had a close encounter with a friendly Manatee, (that was nice), had a hook or two in my finger, cut my foot on an aluminum can that I was fanning the sand off of, and a host of other things. End of story is that this isn't half as fun as it looked. Therefore and thus, the Craigslist and EBAY sales of lots of barely used machines.

Stick with it and you will learn quick. Do lot of reading on here. My biggest advice is to stay out of rough water as much as possible. There are always other days. Start in the shallow and get your sea legs. As you learn more and more, you will get more comfortable. I still avoid angry surf. It is just too much trouble for the return. You get banged around, worn out and don't have much to show for it at the end of the day.

Take care and good luck!

DaChief

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DaChief said:
I have been beaten nearly unconcious by waves, I have had my equipment ripped from my body, I have stepped in my own hole that I was digging and went over my head, I have stepped on Stingrays, seen sharks, had a close encounter with a friendly Manatee, (that was nice), had a hook or two in my finger, cut my foot on an aluminum can that I was fanning the sand off of, and a host of other things. End of story is that this isn't half as fun as it looked. Therefore and thus, the Craigslist and EBAY sales of lots of barely used machines.

DaChief

Yep, had waves knock me head over heels more times then I like to admit. While working on target on outer sandbar had it collapse on me and found myself in water over my head trying to walk back up the sandbar that kept collapsing as I climbed, almost had to drop Excal and Scoop (5 pounds) before finely climbing out. DROWNING IS NOT AN OPTION!....

Misjudged where to cross to get to outer sandbar and stepped into a trough that was over my head and had to swim to the sand bar, as luck would have it I was using the waterproofed Sovereign I have and it acted like a floatation....

Stepped on couple rays myself, but lucky to never have been stung.....Shuffle your feet as you walk to scare them off before you get to them.

Been followed by shady characters while night hunting, had to go into the surf to avoid them.....Now I carry protection if I am hunting a beach at night...

I always take as many precautions as possible when hunting now, but darn it is addicting once you start finding diamond rings..............

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
Oh yeah, the jelly fish . . .

While in the water yesterday, saw what I thought was a huge inflated clear plastic bag floating toward me.

Thought I'd pull it out of the water, because these plastic things are bad for the sea life.

As I got closer, I realized it wasn't a baggie, but a jelly fish, larger than an automobile tire.

I moved away, and then saw several others floating in on the incoming tide.

That's when I decided it was a good time to head back up onto the dry sand.

This weekend I noticed the Portuguese Man O War are starting to show up on the beach. According to wikipedia, they appear as "A clear dark blue and purple color air bag, properly called a pneumatophore, with long tentacles that can reach 30 feet and carry a poison that is very dangerous to humans"

Be careful around these things

Attachments

• manowar.jpg
    manowar.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 652

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wetsuit really helps there...

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post all around :icon_thumright:

One of the reasons i include the trash with my posted pics. To many people think that they can buy a high dollar machine. Walk right out and start pulling silver and gold and nothing else. Never realizing the guys who do make finds have a tremendous amount of time and dedication to the hobby. Spending a couple of years learning there machines and how to hunt.

EZ

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snooksion2 said:
yes, try detecting when the waves arent beating the crap out of you.also even if you are a pro its still a little tough.calm water is your friend. a tsunami is not.i think this will clear up the whole question,also its alot slower going of coarse,cover an area good .its easy to miss area coverage while in the water.i think experience is the key get out there and you will get the hang of it in no time
LOL snooksion a tsunami ? i thought that was funny :laughing7: but it makes a good point i like a heavy north wind it keeps the way action down and a lower tide at least here anyways Dd60
speaking of wave action this guy has a big pair :notworthy:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he has several pairs!!

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
As a side note, Everyone that works rough surf should be prepared for the worst.

Quick release belt with detector, scoop, and floating sifter attached.
All three will float on their own.

If you must dump everything in an over your head situation, At least there is a chance to recover them if you survive.

Pull cord inflation is a must for PFD's.

Be nice to the local life guards.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montauk3 said:
As a side note, Everyone that works rough surf should be prepared for the worst.

Quick release belt with detector, scoop, and floating sifter attached.
All three will float on their own.

If you must dump everything in an over your head situation, At least there is a chance to recover them if you survive.

Pull cord inflation is a must for PFD's.

Be nice to the local life guards.

Be nice to the local life guards pays dividends too as they can put you one some great finds. They also can look like Pam Anderson if your lucky.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
LOL

P.S.
That surfer must have an subconscious deathwish.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Also, this is unrelated to the coil movement, but be sure to wear shoes (Wet suit booties) when water hunting. Ensure that there is a hard sole. Saved myself from lots of pain, yesterday. Was in the water (knee deep). Strong target, but the waves were quite rough. Put my foot over the target to stand my ground. Ended up with a double surf hook in the bottom of the booty.

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
Follow Bill's advice. I would add to run your cable down the side of your shaft to cut water resistance. I hang my Excal, CZ-20 or Tiger Shark from my neck so I don't have the weight or resistance of the box in the water either. I have the top of the shaft bungee corded to my waist so it is always right there where I can reach it. The scoop has to be big with a lot of holes for fast sifting. Many times you need to make many scoops while trying to keep your balance in the waves and keep from being blown away from your target. I don't attach the scoop to me in any way. I too wear a PFD with a quick inflate feature.
Try not to make it work, but move slow and have fun.

Learn to reconize rip currents by sight and good luck.

Sandman - what type of PDF do you use - is it an auto inflate or is it one that you have to blow up youself? Thanks.
Darryl

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Don't try to swing against the current of the wave. Either face the shore or the sea and swing perpendicular to the wave action. You will find it much easier to swing than trying to fight the wave as it comes in or goes out.

In the deeper water:
The thinnest part of most people's bodies are the side so when the rough surf is present, the best way to hunt in it is to have your body sideways to the waves. I like to hunt from waist to chest high water and often the waves are fairly active. Getting hit face on by a wave is not a lot of fun especially when your sunglasses are knocked off and end up in the water. I am fairly athletic so the side of my body slices through the waves like the front end of a boat. Having your back to a wave is also not fun as the wave will slap you pretty hard. I am always watching the wave action so that I can time my digging and watch for the bigger waves and prepare for them.

If you are a fatty, then this advice is not useful to you. If overweight and if you have a big gut, then you will be getting hit by the waves at your widest point no matter what. But guess what!
You fighting the waves will eventually get you thin! I usually lose about 7 to 10 lbs. my first week or two out in the water when I go to Florida. I see very few fat water hunters. I hear lots of stories of guys losing 50 or 60 lbs. by water hunting. It is a good workout.

It is best to hunt at low tide when the water is out and where people earlier were swimming in waist / chest deep water or deeper. At low tide the water that was deeper is now shallow and makes for a pleasant hunt as the wave action is usually less at low tide. But I do not recommend hunting low tide in the water at night. Too many night feeders in the sea for me to want to go in the water.

Your coil will naturally slow down when in the water. Be patient and eventually your arm will get strong enough to go many hours of water hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread