Which Beach Detector?

J

Jon Hill

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I currently own a C-Scope Newforce R1 VLF detector which has a beach mode, I live in the UK and mainly use the detector on dry land. However I have had some success using the machine on a beach near to my parents house in Cornwall. I'm thinking about buying a second detector specifically for beach work. A PI machine would be useful for the extra depth and wet sand penetrating properties. I am also a SCUBA diver and therefore a machine that works underwater would be a bonus as would the ability to use it on land and in fresh water. I have looked at a number of machines including the Whites Surfmaster Pro, Headhunter PI, and Tesoro Sandshark, but am having difficulty chossing which. I would mainly be looking for older items from the many ancient wrecks in the area as opposed to items recently lost by bathers.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Jon Hill

Upvote 0

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
N

Noble Metal

Sandman, Wreckdiver 1715, and Sapona, what is your opinion of the difference in all between the Excalibur 1000 and the Fisher 1280X... target depth in inches, gold discrim., etc... and Thank You and all, very much...

D

Darod

Hey Noble,

I have a 1280x my self. It is a good machine but it's rather unstable in saltwater. It's supposed to work fine in salt but from what i've read online it's unstable just as mine is turning out to be unstable. Now, the Excalibur is the machine! With it's multi frequencies and target depth it has the 1280X beat by far. Keep in mind, the 1280X is single frequency, and single tone, automatic ground ( good and bad from what I can tell). Now, the Excalibur is 17 frequencies, I believe it's 3 tones (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and you can adjust the threshold.

I have dug targets up to about 8", give or take an inch. The Excalibur will far exceed that from what I read.

my money would be on the Excalibur,... and thats coming from a 1280X owner. Don't get me wrong, I love my Fisher and their products are build like a tank. But when you compair an Excalibur with the 1280X, the Excalibur is just more machine. It's also more money :)

Good luck in your choice.

Rod

N

Noble Metal

Dear Rod, Thanks dude. And I love getting good info. like that. ~ The forum can be great.

I'm here on lava rock in the water, but I guess with the salt water already maybe the extra in the lava rock is not going to effect much? (Ground balance?) Do you feel in VLF the Minelab would be the deepest seeking in inches in the world out of all salt water machines available and that I would be safe and fine for ordering it with my area of high mineral rock in salt water?

And Thanks Big, Noble Metal.

D

Darod

I don't think I am experienced/knowledgeable enough to make such a bold statement as the minelab explorer being the deepest in the world! However, if I were you, I would contact Kellyco for advice. Their sales people are very up to date on the newest models and exactly what each models strong points are and weak points. You can find them at http://www.kellycodetectors.com ;)

Use the link or use the link at the top of all the treasurenet web pages.

Good luck in your choice and make sure to post back here with what information they give you and what your final choice was in machines.

Rod

N

Noble Metal

Now remember, I am speaking of VLF in an underwater salt machine.
Theres not too many VLF's in water machines in the world, so it shouldn't be too hard to know the deepest in inches on the same target, is it? :)
Hmmm.. I am probably about to order an Excalibur 1000 :)
Will let you know, and cannot Thank all and Darod enough, although I'm not going to call Kellyco ::)
Can a USA Minelab dealer ship Internationl? Any ideas on the very best to order Minelab from, Doc's Place in Nevada, or where do you think for minelab help in an International shippment...?
And Darod, Thank You though very much, and soon my friends, Noble Metal.

D

Darod

The Excalibur 1000 is the best for what your requirements are. The Excalibur 800 is the same machine with an 8" coil. Perhaps this one would even be better if you think your going to be in tite spots with it. However, remember that with a smaller coil you'll loose a bit on depth.

If you want my advice,....the excalibur 1000 is the best for underwater and depth of target.

Good luck,

Rod

D

Darod

Noble,

Unless you have some issues personally with Kellyco,....I think you'll find that they have the best price anywhere. It's your call. I try them out if it were me.

Rod

PS: I don't work for them, I'm not a dealer, I'm just a normal guy like you trying to make the best choice.

:)

N

Noble Metal

Darod, Thanks my friend for the help...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noble Metal said:
Dear Rod, Thanks dude. And I love getting good info. like that. ~ The forum can be great.

I'm here on lava rock in the water, but I guess with the salt water already maybe the extra in the lava rock is not going to effect much? (Ground balance?) Do you feel in VLF the Minelab would be the deepest seeking in inches in the world out of all salt water machines available and that I would be safe and fine for ordering it with my area of high mineral rock in salt water?

And Thanks Big, Noble Metal.
i just realized this NOBLE ; " VLF" ? Minelab Excalibur is NOT VLF. it is BBS. "Broad Band Spectrum" BBS transmits 17 Frequencies. ranging from 1.5 KHZ to 25.5 KHZ .......... VLF (Very Low Frequency) is a Motion Detector that has to move over a target at a fairly fast rate to get a Signal. ... BBS only needs to move over the target very slow. ..... in Fact. The Slower You Move over a target with BBS Tecknology, The More Depth you get. While VLF needs a fast swing over the target. .... VLF is an old technology I believe, invented by Bounty Hunter Back in the 70's . with the "RED BARRON" They had to be swung like a WEED WACKER to get any kind of depth, but were the first, ones to Discriminate with accuracy I Think. ......... I'm no Tecknition ( I can't even spell it) I am going by what I'v read over the years, But I think this is fairly an accurate statement.

Willy

Just a bit of clarification here. BBS is VLF. The sweep speed is, quite often, determined by the number of filters being used. Early machines were 4 filter units like some of the (current) White's detectors. They generally require a faster sweep speed & tend to handle mineralization better. A two filter machine generally works well with a slow sweep speed, sometimes almost motionless. Doing some research into BBS (and FBS) basically reveals that only 3 of the multitude of frequenies are being processed. Transmitting more than one frequency does NOT automatically exempt a detector from VLF status; take, for example the Fisher CZ series & White's DFX. VLF refers to a range of frequencies. Kinda like having a bunch of oranges of different sizes.. they're still oranges. What the detector does after recieving the return signals is often proprietary, which determines the in-field characteristics. I can refer you to a couple of websites wherein the Minelab units have been dissected, frequency analysed, and the related patents pored over. These people build/modify detectors & know thier stuff.. I just don't know the forum policy regarding other forums.? BTW, neither BBS or FBS is pulse induction, which is another popular misconception. ...Willy.

capela

Dec 16, 2004
??? ??? ??? My friends let me try to explain:

- VLF (very low frequency) - frequencies bellow 20KHZ, most detectors use 1, 2, 3, or 4 switchable frequencies, but they transmitte only one at each time, exception for some that can transmitte 2 (Whites) or more (minelab).

-? "motion or no-motion" -? mode of detection, don?t get confused about VLF or not.

- "BBS" -? simultaneous transmittion of 17 frequencys, from 1.5Khz up to 28Khz, and analisys of several frequencies on reception and figure out what kind of object is, depending on target(depth,soil, position, size, type of target).

- "FSB" - Full Band Spectrum, the same as BBS, but? from 1.5 Khz up to 100Khz on transmittion, the same mode of analisys !

- "P.I" - Pulse induction, based on reverse currents(eddie?s current) effect when a metal target is near the coil...., it works like a radar, send a pulse frame and listen it?s "echo", it?s intensity is proporcional to depth, soil, position, size, type of target.
? ?It is a "no-motion machine", has no discrimination (all-metal). exception for Infinitium(Garret), Deepers8 detectors and a few others.

? ?Every kind of target(metal) has its own "ressonance frequency", so if you have a full band spectrum of frequencies you have more chance to get your specific target and also you don?t have to worry about which kind of soil you are working on, because lower frequency means more depth and less sensivity to small targets but in the other hand you also have higher frequencies that means less depth but more sensivity to small and valious targets like gold nuggets !
So thats why Minelab machines are so popular all over the world...!

capela

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tesoro Sand Shark, Compadre, DetectorPro Wader, Explorer XS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd pick 1 of the following for your situation..

CZ20

Ex-cal 1000

Infinium

wouldn't even waste my time/money on anything else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread