Which Beach Detector?

J

Jon Hill

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I currently own a C-Scope Newforce R1 VLF detector which has a beach mode, I live in the UK and mainly use the detector on dry land. However I have had some success using the machine on a beach near to my parents house in Cornwall. I'm thinking about buying a second detector specifically for beach work. A PI machine would be useful for the extra depth and wet sand penetrating properties. I am also a SCUBA diver and therefore a machine that works underwater would be a bonus as would the ability to use it on land and in fresh water. I have looked at a number of machines including the Whites Surfmaster Pro, Headhunter PI, and Tesoro Sandshark, but am having difficulty chossing which. I would mainly be looking for older items from the many ancient wrecks in the area as opposed to items recently lost by bathers.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Jon Hill

Upvote 0

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Headhunter PI is a good all around PI detector. You have Eric Fosters PI detectors made in England in your country and they are the best as far as I'm concerned. Pulse Power is his company. Check on them.

steveoreese

Sep 15, 2004
I haven't done any beach detecting up here in East Anglia, but my Fisher CZ20 did a great job on the Florida beaches and now does just as good a job on the UK fields. Do some research on the CZ20 as it has a lot of fans. It is a heavy unit, and another weakness is that it's not good on fine gold chains, but it's built like a tank and has a lifetime warranty. I've also understand that the Minelab water detector is also quite good. It's not as tough as the CZ20, but a bit better on small gold. Good luck with your choice. It took me many months to decide....

flagold

Aug 3, 2004
I've been doing a lot of tests lately, you might want to take a look at some additional info before making the purchase:

http://golddredger.com/dcforum/DCForumID5/78.html

http://golddredger.com/dcforum/DCForumID5/92.html

http://golddredger.com/dcforum/DCForumID5/87.html

Although some of the above might sound like a commercial, I sell nothing and accept no advertising. The original plan was to do in-depth live studies with all the major brands, but the recent (and current) storms are playing hell with any of my plans . . .

Good luck whatever you purchase!
Matt Mattson
http://www.treasuresites.com

OP
OP
J

Jon Hill

Thanks,

The excaliber is out of my price range so I can rule that out easily.

I have read that the Sea Hunter Mk II does not make a good beach detector and is really just a divers machine. I expect to be doing more beach work than diving, is it still a good choice? Perhaps I should asking which machines should I avoid?

Jon

flagold

Aug 3, 2004
While I personally don't like the Sea Hunter with the long shaft and hip mount for beach hunting, others do, Robert Marx included. I'd go with one of the others listed if I was primarily beach hunting.

Good luck!

Raoul

May 5, 2004
Perth West Australia
Hi Jon i Have the Excalibur,great detector but my mate uses the Tesoro Sandshark and i can tell you that its a very impressive machine,cheap to $1300 Aus easy to use,lite enough to use on dry land PI tech can change coils without having to send it back to the factory very sensitive to small gold also, Heck i think that i will buy one to. Cheers Raoul

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
mine detector for the beach?

Anyone ever try using a mine detector on the beach? I just bought one on ebay and I'm anxious to try it on the coast. The old forum stated that it was as good as any pi detector out there. Mine's a more modern unit made by Fourdee. Anyone have experience with one?

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
My friend Billy had one from wwII. That thing drove us crazy. It used a 66v battery pack and was heavy as H%$l! It was kind of neat to see it work but absolutely useless for th'ing. Good luck.HH! Chris

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Maybe I'll find a different kind of mine ;D

capela

Dec 16, 2004
Hi, i?m new here and i?m a happy owner of a Tesoro SandShark amoung other machines ( Explorer Xs, Wader-DetectorPro, Compadre, ....etc), and let me tell you how happy i am with my PI, it detects everything and the problem is to Dig, just about 40cms under wet salt sand for an 1 euro coin.
I recommend it...., and his brother (Tiger) is on my view for my Tesoro?s collection !? ;) ;) ;)

Capela

Attachments

• SandShark.gif
    SandShark.gif
    93.1 KB · Views: 798
C

Charles,Oak Island

Re: Which Beach Detector? Darren Mine Detector

Darren, let me know how you do with the Mine detector. I have one sitting in my storage shed that has been there for about 10 years. I might have to pull it out and see if I can get it running.....

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Charles,

I haven't even seen the one I bought in the Fall on ebay. The seller lived so close to my parents in Louisiana, that my dad got it. Saved me money from shipping. I figured I'd get it when I go home for Christmas. It is not one of the old battery pack models. It has a hip-mount transistor pack. I'll see it in a few weeks and let you know if it works? :) I'll be curious if they work just like the pi units or if they give false signals in wet sand.

C

Charles,Oak Island

I'm going to pull mine out this weekend and look at it. Dive careful have a nice Holiday. ;D

N

Noble Metal

JohninCT, can you or anyone else please post here Eric Fosters Pulse Power's new web site, and how to find, and THANKS...

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you are in the US, his detectors are sold by Bill at www.surfscanners.com. To get to Erics forum, you can go on www.findmall.com and look in the forums for the PI Technology forum and Eric is on there. You can get a link there to his site.

N

Noble Metal

For the Salt water Beach:

I don't care about the weight, because I can use a bungie: But I need the Deepest seeking salt machine in the world that has discrimination and a low freq. for gold. What is that machine, Minelabs Excalibur 1000, or buy a Detectorpro Diver?

C

Charles,Oak Island

Noble Metal I tried to send you a PM but got this message
PM could not be sent to 'Noble Metal' due to the max. PM limit

Also you had no email address

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread