Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bigcypress

I whent this weekend to Wabasso beach with my family, we stayed at the Disney resort (very nice by the way) I have two Withes Beach Hunter IDs, so I went metal detecting at night with my 17 year old son, just a little bit north form the beach entrence in front of the houses my detector went crazy, It was in the shore line, we started digging but the water didnt let us get to the bottom, I stuck my arm all the way up to my shoulder and I touched something flat but the water didnt let us get to it, we could touch it but we couldnt get it the water and the sand didnt let us, we dogged for two hours it was 3:00am we where tired, so we marked the area to come back at the next day. We went back the next day but we couldnt find the spot. (sad story) it had to be a big piece of metal for the detector to detect so deep. (maybe cement with a rigbar) Well the good part is that I did find two pieces that look like silver nuggets. I am not sure they are silver, but I will test them to see. I will go back to the area next weekend.

Best of the Season,

Chagy..........

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The spring break crowed have invaded the Florida beaches, not that many are wearing many clothes. Time to hit the beaches for some target practice.

Why did I move to Florida?

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi guys,

I am going back to treasure coast today, I will stop first in Colored Beach and then on my way to Wabasso. If you are out there, I will be the dude with black shorts, black and yellow MD (Whites beach hunter ID) and Oakley sunglasses. See ya out there.

Best of the Season,

Chagy............

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
Dear shagy...I think I saw you at the beach that day... I was metal detecting in front of the Disney resort and I saw a boy and a young lady metal detecting on the beach far from the water, they were using 2 yellow and black metal detectors...am I right?
I am back home...did not find anything of value in the 3 days I spent there...I hope you have better luck... :)

Also, there was a coin hunting competition at a bompart park that same week, (saturday)... I hit the park after everyone left but only found a few pennies....lou

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
dune sand is much finer than beach sand...dunes are mostly from blowing sand trapped by vegetation. Beach sand, the coarser stuff, moves along the beach north/south due to wave action, with an annual southerly net result. Erosion moves the beach westward, and the fine dune sand is either blown further west, or lost forever from the system. Heavy items like GOLD move very little laterally, but due to undermining tend to settle vertically, all the way to coral bedrock/china/whatever. The general consensus is that items found in the dunes were either dropped there by salvagers or were on bodies that washed up there. A gold chain is not gonna blow into the dunes, and probably won't wash up there either. Yes, the dune line probably has retreated, meaning the high energy surf zone probably was seaward from the present location. However, due to both stabilization of inlets and the rising sea level, the RATE of erosion has increased in the last few decades. So possibly the historic surf line was not so far away after all. Jeez, I may be old, but I'm not THAT old dammit to know fer sure.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Guys, Hello Bigcypress

Lou:

Yes that was me, I was up there last weekend and the one before that, I went to Colored beach, Wabasso and Jupiter Inlet. I didint find much but I did lost my Oakley sunglasses in the Jupiter Inlet, so if any of you find them let me know!!!!!!!!!

I did find two pieces that look like silver but I believe they are lead, I saw something similar at the Mc Larty museum, last weekend I found A hintch (not from a door) It is very old, another piece of silver or lead (but is diferent than the first two) the fist two are smoth. I also found a big nail, like the ones in the museum and a metal piece that looks like the tip of an arrow.

Best of the Season,

Chagy..........

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bigcypress

I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them, maybe you guys can help me identify some of these things.

Hey guys if we have to dig a deep hole to find gold, will a two box detector work I have one but I believe that it is for large things buried deep I have never used it because I bought it for another project that I havent started.
I dont think that it will detect a small object like a coin.
Any idea on the proper detector for this task.

Chagy......

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Guys,

diging in the water edge is a pain in the a.. I found something in the water edge in Wabasso beach I can touch it but I can get it out, even with lowtide the incoming water dosent reach the spot but once you start diging you will find water and it is like quick sand you dig dig dig and it stays the same. It is something big and flat everytime I go to Wabasso I look for it I touch it but I can get it out. Its about 3ft deep.

Chagy.......

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Chagy said:
Guys,

diging in the water edge is a pain in the a.. I found something in the water edge in Wabasso beach I can touch it but I can get it out, even with lowtide the incoming water dosent reach the spot but once you start diging you will find water and it is like quick sand you dig dig dig and it stays the same. Chagy.......

I have had the same problem. I have even found holes were someone was digging and gave up with the target still there. I thought maybe if I had a helper with a large shovel. :-\ ???

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello BigC.

Yes I was thinking of going back with a big shovel and some help. It did happen in two spots but only in one of them I was able to touch the target.

Chagy........

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I was on one of the Treasure Beaches last year using my little metal detector. The caretaker that grades the beach every morning drove his tractor over to me and started cussing me out about digging 6 foot holes in the beach and dunes. He said that by not filling in my holes was leaving a dangerous situation and he was tired of filling them in every morning. I assured him that it wasn't me and besides I fill in my little holes. He apologized and we started talking. He told me people dig 6 to 8 foot holes in the dunes at nite. He asked me if I wanted a shovel because he has found more than he could ever use. The nite diggers leave them behind. Good luck with your ideas Captain, and I'm with you 100%, but you might not be the first. I have pictures of a Backhoe digging on Corrigan's Beach years ago. People with Gold Fever will try almost anything. ::)

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Capt Z, I am not offended! First off, digging in the dunes is just wrong, and illegal so don?t go there. I know, you did not say that you would hit the dunes, just keep it that way my friend. As for digging on the beaches, just fill in the holes. That reminds me of a hunt I did several years ago on the beach near the NASA tracking station in southern Brevard County, about half way from my house to Sebastian Inlet.
I came across a hit with the Excalibur and the signal was very strong, and this sucker was big. I was thinking cannon or anchor buried under the sand. I started digging with the entrenching shovel that I carry in addition to the sand scoop. Digging and digging and digging, this sucker was deep, about 5-6 feet down, about 5 feet wide and about 8-10 feet long. Long story short, after about way too many hours of digging the target turned out to be an old truck chasse buried for many a year under the sand. That was not an easy hole to fill, and as I tossed shovel full of sand after shovel full of sand back into the hole I had dug, I thought to myself ?how many other treasure hunters had dug this same spot over the years?. That turned out to be a very long day at the beach, and I was one tired puppy after all that work. The Corona tasted especially good that afternoon!
Oh, and for those who dig the dunes at night. Remember that I often roam the beaches at night myself. You won?t see me, but I will see you because I rule the night!

Attachments

• Tom under NVG 02.jpg
    Tom under NVG 02.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 961

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
wreckdiver, The dunes are protected and whoever was doing it last year was breaking the law, you are correct. Maybe you will catch them if they come back. Apparently back in the 50's and maybe the 60's it wasn't quite as illegal. I have an old book from my younger days somewhere titled "Treasure Under your Feet" or something like that. I believe it was written before the 1715 discoveries by Kip Wagner, or at least well before Mel Fisher. It said that a fellow named Corrigan owned a good stretch of those beaches. With all the coins being found, he assumed that a Spanish Galleon was buried under his beach. He brought in heavy equipment backhoe, bulldozer and ordered them to dig. Well, they didn't find the Galleon of course because we now know it is a few hundred feet out broken up on the reef. A lady watching the action with her metal detector, found some coins in the dug out sand. The book has her picture, the bulldozer on the beach pics, Mr. Corrigan pics, and the whole story. I'm in the process of moving. If I can locate the book, I'll scan a pic or two. It was very interesting.
I think Capt. Z. is working on his "vertical detecting" invention and I'm sure he would not consider doing anything illegal. Keep working on it and keep the ideas coming. It might have some potential. If only I had believed the stories I read as a kid in those old books. :(

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There is nothing wrong with digging a big hole in the sand as long as you cover it back, as WD1715 said dont mess with the dunes and everything will be OK.
I also like to seach the beaches at night. but i dont do anything illegal.
Keep it safe.

Happy hunting,

chagy.............

OP
OP
C

cobra

Nov 8, 2004
Hi everyone;

Just got back from Ambersands and up to Kips cabin. Soooooooo much sand. Alot of wind driven sand up near the dunes and the beach walk overs! Lots of the usual trash pulled out of the inlet-aluminum can parts. One nice hit down 20 inches. Turns out to be a fish hook, but nice to know the Minelab reaches that far down!

You know...Capt Z is right on.Whats left is on the reef rock that runs right under the beach(like at the cabin site). And that little trough
just before the first reef is full of goodies. A few years ago someone drove a shallow draft boat almost onto the beach at Corrigans and started blasting big holes in the sand down to the reef rock. That was a great day for treasure! Most boats
ride too deep in the water to cover the surf from the beach out to the first reef.

My personal opinion is that there is also some significant treasure north of the inlet buried in the sand back from the beach.
If you really do the research you find that this was quite a busy place in late 1715 and most of 1716. Between the Spanish, the Pirates, and later the British there was alot of action along those beaches. And remember...the only place to hide stuff was in the sand, away from the praying eyes of the officers and pirates, and other salvors. Easy to think of smaller bags of coins and jewels being hidden away all along the coast. A few years ago a lady was digging in her yard norht of Chucks and found a handful of cobs!

Just a few lots north of Kips Cabin someone has cleared a lot getting ready to build. They have cleared down about 5 feet.
Sure would be nice to detect that property!

Cobra

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Get one of those hats that say "call before you dig" and a can of spray paint. ;D ;)

OP
OP
C

cobra

Nov 8, 2004
Big C;

You're closer to the truth than you realize. There used to be a guy who worked for the phone company in Sebastian. He was also a avid MD'er. In 1965-66 when the state put in the bridge over the inlet and completed A1A as we know it today, this guy would work the section from the inlet down to Wabasso. When he found something interesting he would go back at night and crawl through the dunes on his hands and knees finding lots of treasure. Also there is treasure under A1A. The state used midden material from near the inlet for road bed material. Wonder just how much gold and silver lies under A1A?

Cobra

PCSOF8

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2004
HARAHAN, LA.
Detector(s) used
MINELAB
Primary Interest:
Re: 1622-23 COINS FOUND

CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON A BEACH FIND THAT WAS MADE SOMETIME LAST YEAR ON THE GULF SIDE OF FLORIDA AFTER THE HURRICANES?

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Its time to play again!!!!!!

Iam going to Treasure Coast tomorrow Friday until Monday. I will take my laptop and keep you posted if anything good comes up. I will be with my wife, so if you see a couple with Black and yellow MDs thats us. The family that hunts together stay together. I any of you are in the area and want to meet let me know.

See ya,

Chagy.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread