Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toymad said:
I just picked up my Beachunter 300 from my local dealer. I cant wait to get to the beach and try it out. I normally hunt just the sand with my V3i, I wanted something so I could get into the water. Any advice on using the Beach hunter would be appreciated.

Number1 is get a good water scoop, your going to need it in the water.... Sand scoop not going to work very well when you waist to chest deep......Your coil floats, it may, or it may not bother you, if it does, make a little bean bag out of sand or get an ankle weight to put around the shaft at base of coil.

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
On the BeachHunter, use the toggle switch to switch to 'all metal mode', and search in that mode. When you get a tone, switch to 'discriminate' mode, and check the color of the light displays.

If the rings or coins lights are on, dig. If the iron light is on, don't dig.

Also, if you plan to hunt long hours, consider belt mounting the control head. It will take the weight off your arm, and will make it easier to view the lights and use the toggle.

Bill

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
Treasure_Hunter said:
Toymad said:
I just picked up my Beachunter 300 from my local dealer. I cant wait to get to the beach and try it out. I normally hunt just the sand with my V3i, I wanted something so I could get into the water. Any advice on using the Beach hunter would be appreciated.

Number1 is get a good water scoop, your going to need it in the water.... Sand scoop not going to work very well when you waist to chest deep......Your coil floats, it may, or it may not bother you, if it does, make a little bean bag out of sand or get an ankle weight to put around the shaft at base of coil.

No need to weight down The coil. the coil on the 300 is neutrally bouyant....you'll have no problem with it in shallow surf or deeper water....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surfdigger said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Toymad said:

No need to weight down The coil. the coil on the 300 is neutrally bouyant....you'll have no problem with it in shallow surf or deeper water....

Neutrally bouyant means it will stay in what ever position you let go of shaft, if you let go of the 300 shaft and the coil floats to the surface it is not neutral bouyant....
Check out Sandmans complaint.............http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,270882.0.html

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Surfdigger said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Toymad said:

No need to weight down The coil. the coil on the 300 is neutrally buoyant....you'll have no problem with it in shallow surf or deeper water....

Neutrally bouyant means it will stay in what ever position you let go of shaft, if you let go of the 300 shaft and the coil floats to the surface it is not neutral bouyant....
Check out Sandmans complaint.............http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,270882.0.html
Surfdigger, that coil is not neutral buoyant, you must hold it down in the water or weight it somehow like with a ankle weight. The coil is filled with foam instead of resin like everyone else uses. This is fine for above water but does get tiring under the waves after a while. Also you can use a bungee cord to help support the weight if you don't care to hip mount the box.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
Sandman said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Surfdigger said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Toymad said:

No need to weight down The coil. the coil on the 300 is neutrally buoyant....you'll have no problem with it in shallow surf or deeper water....

Surfdigger, that coil is not neutral buoyant, you must hold it down in the water or weight it somehow like with a ankle weight. The coil is filled with foam instead of resin like everyone else uses. This is fine for above water but does get tiring under the waves after a while. Also you can use a bungee cord to help support the weight if you don't care to hip mount the box.

Good Luck,
Sandman

I apoligize....I misspoke...The coil isn't truely neutrally bouyant....but cmon....it practically is....I tried one in the water and it took next to nothing to hold it down on the bottom.....For me it wasn't even a concern.....the Beachhunter ID 300 is an excellent machine.....it's no Excalibur (I own two and have since they first appeared on the scene in 1994) but I had the opportunity to field test the original BHID for about 18 months when they first came out and it was a great machine once you get through the learning curve and figure out what it is saying to you....I am a Minslab guy first and always will be.....I just get tired of hearing all these folks 'nit picking" apart a really good water machine.....hey, it is what it is....I would gladly use one again and would love to have one in my arsenal....JMHO.....Brian

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use many water detectors because I want too. Some I like better than others for a certain area or type of hunting. The BHID 300 would not be my choice for diving because of it's depth limits, but I could use one for wading with a sand filled sock. My arm gets tired holding the coil down and don't want the water resistance of a shaft weight. My coil floated more than normal in the freshwater tank and would be more buoyant in salt. However all detectors have their pluses and minuses. What I consider a benefit for me someone else might not care for it. I for one don't pay attention to lights to "id" a target. I like the sounds. If I hunt in All Metal, I stay there. By switching to Disc after getting a signal and it drops out that means the target is disc out or it is deep. So I wasted my time by playing with a switch. When I use the Excal, CZ-20 or Tiger, I stay in one mode or the other with low disc and pinpoint in the water is a waste of time for me.

I hope everyone has good luck with what ever detector they use to enjoy the hobby, just like we all like different scoops, and cars.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It is utterly amazing that design engineers would produce a water detector with a floating coil.
Any detector can detect in the dry sand so why design a waterproof detector for that?
The error is even more profound because White's has coils that are not buoyant as any DFX coil will work with the BHID.

IMHO ... the new yellow "300" coil is a bit too large (and it floats also).
With all the nice DFX coils available White's should have added a waterproof coil connector allowing the user a choice in search coils. (Garrett and Tesoro seems to be able to do it) Now that would be the nutz!

I ordered a 10" Excellerator coil (for DFX) from Kellyco and replaced the stock coil on my BHID and it is now the machine it was supposed to be to start with ... a water hunter ... and a fairly good one too!

Willee

Attachments

• bhidcoil.jpg
    bhidcoil.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 383

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willee said:
I ordered a 10" Excellerator coil (for DFX) from Kellyco and replaced the stock coil on my BHID and it is now the machine it was supposed to be to start with ... a water hunter ... and a fairly good one too!

Willee

I'll bet that setup works great. Something to think about now that used BHID prices seem to be coming down.

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
[/quote]I apoligize....I misspoke...The coil isn't truely neutrally bouyant....but cmon....it practically is....I tried one in the water and it took next to nothing to hold it down on the bottom.....For me it wasn't even a concern.....the Beachhunter ID 300 is an excellent machine.....it's no Excalibur (I own two and have since they first appeared on the scene in 1994) but I had the opportunity to field test the original BHID for about 18 months when they first came out and it was a great machine once you get through the learning curve and figure out what it is saying to you....I am a Minslab guy first and always will be.....I just get tired of hearing all these folks 'nit picking" apart a really good water machine.....hey, it is what it is....I would gladly use one again and would love to have one in my arsenal....JMHO.....Brian
[/quote]

I agree with the Beach Hunter being an excellent machine!!! :icon_pirat:

Yes the older BHID stock 9.5 floated too much, but there's a good improvement from that coil to the "300" coil in that regard!

Everyone has their likes and dislikes with machines, but alot of hunters have great success with the Beach Hunter 300!!! :thumbsup:

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations!

I owned a BHID with the 9.5-inch coil for a year and then upgraded to the BHID 300. I had this machine for 9 months and it was great! It likes copper, silver, and gold. I found several rings and many coins with it!

It was easy to use and has a fast target recovery so you can swing faster than minelabs. The 12-inch coil also covers a lot of ground.

I currently have an excal-2 which it is a great machine too, but the learning curve is longer than the BHID300. The 10-inch coil covers less ground and it has to be swung slowly or you will miss a lot of targets.

Both machines BHID300 and Excal-2 are great beach/water machines. If you are going to be scuba diving then get the Excal-2, but for beach hunting it is hard to beat the BHID300.

HH!
Moe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread