Ideas for good water proof detector?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Apr 2009
    Maryland
    Minelab CTX3030
    317 times
    Relic Hunting

Ideas for good water proof detector?

Looking for a decent water detector. I hunt with a Minelab Safari now but I do not want to take it anywhere near the water because I will probably accidentally drop it. I hunt beaches a few times a year but live in walking distance to the Potomac River. I am in a great Civil War area and want to hit the river at some crossings I researched. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

us
    May 2010
    49 times

Re: Ideas for good water proof detector?

Look at the excalibur II from minelab. You can get it with an 8" or 10" coil. It has very good discrimination and hits pretty deep. It is one of the most popular underwater md out there. It is going to be my choice for my next detector. How do you like your safari?

us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3971 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Since you are thinking of relics I would not choose the Excal. A Fisher 1280 or CZ-21, or Tiger Shark would fit the bill nicely. Excal would do nicely on the beaches for jewelry and coins, but nulls on iron.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Apr 2009
    Maryland
    Minelab CTX3030
    317 times
    Relic Hunting

Thanks for the help. The Safari has been great. I have done very well with it finding Civil War relics. Used it on the beaches in NC and actually got tired of digging. Coins and jewelry ring clear on the Safari. Very easy to learn and the factory settings work great. Wanted to get a waterproof detector for the surf and river hunting. Never really did any detecting in the river but would like to give it a try.

us
    Feb 2006
    Albertville Alabama
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
    7 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Sandman is correct the excal does null out on small iron BUT larger pieces sound off either as a high pitch or overload sound........you also have the option to hunt in all metal mode

us
    Nov 2009

I just got the Garrett Infinium. Paid for it in less than 2 days finding gold rings.
    I think a PI is the only way to go for relics. Not only that but the Infinium can find the gold too.
    I never hunted for relics but seems to me you would want to dig everything when hunting relics. If I wanted to dig everything ( which I do) I would have a good PI ( which I do )

us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    8659 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman
    Since you are thinking of relics I would not choose the Excal. A Fisher 1280 or CZ-21, or Tiger Shark would fit the bill nicely. Excal would do nicely on the beaches for jewelry and coins, but nulls on iron.
    Question: Never used a Tiger Shark, how's it stack up against the CZ-21? Any pros & cons?
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

us
    Nov 2006
    Florida
    Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
    20 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

ExcaliburII is my vote.
    They wash their feet 5 times a day, but use their finger instead of Charmin?

Sponsored Links