How long do we have until the spill hits Florida West/East Coast beaches?

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• oilspillLA.jpg
    oilspillLA.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 631
  • oilspillAL01.jpg
    oilspillAL01.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 635
  • oilspillLA02.jpg
    oilspillLA02.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 641
  • oilspillLA03.jpg
    oilspillLA03.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 641
  • olispillLA04.jpg
    olispillLA04.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 632
  • oilspillLA05.jpg
    oilspillLA05.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 637
  • oilspillLA06pelican.jpg
    oilspillLA06pelican.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 647
  • oilspillLA07.jpg
    oilspillLA07.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 630
  • oilspillLA08.jpg
    oilspillLA08.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 635
  • oilspillLA09.jpg
    oilspillLA09.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 624
  • oilspillMay26.jpg
    oilspillMay26.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 633
  • oilspillsheenoffPensacola.jpg
    oilspillsheenoffPensacola.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 626
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to fathom the magnitude of this disaster!

goldfever

Nov 6, 2009
I dont think it's fair to totally blame BP for this accident.

If it wasnt for the demand for oil, from every one of us, then accidents like this would not happen.

If you drive a car to get to the beach to MD and you find an oil slick ruining everything, then look to yourself as part of the problem responsible for it.
If that is the case then you really have no right to complain.

Disclaimer;,,, This is not directed at anyone here. This is just my take on this whole situation

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20,000-40,000 barrels a day for 53 days .......that's allot of oil to try to contain an clean up ......this going to take a long time an the loss of money will be outrageous.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time will only tell how bad it will get. But the real problem will be who is going to pay for it. We all know it is going to be us. As the oil company will only raise their gas prices and we will have to pay more for our gas......

Matt

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's already all but ruined my hunting for now. We've been lucky too have little oil or tar....yet. That hasn't meant much to the thousands of tourists who are avoiding the area.

Assigning blame to consumers for the disaster is kind of puzzling to me. Kind of like saying people in Pennsylvania were responsible for a partial nuclear meltdown by turning on their lights.

goldfever

Nov 6, 2009
As long as we thirst for oil, there will continue to be oil spills.

If BP goes bankrupt because of this spill, there will be less oil to go around, which will drive the price up.

Then everyone will be complaining about that too.

I think it is hypocritical to drive a car everyday, then complain about polution from oil spills.

If we , as a whole, didn't demand oil, then there would be no reason to drill offshore.
And this would never have happened.

So utimately, we as consumers are as much to blame for this as BP is.

Instead of assigning blame, and complaining, take some responsibility.
If you are not willing to park your car forever, then put your protest sign down, drive to the beach, and help clean it up!

Disclaimer; This is not directed at anyone in particular here. When I say "you" I mean everyone.

goldfever

Nov 6, 2009
I was just using automobiles as one example.

Still does not change the fact that we as consumers are as much to blame for this as BP

goldfever

Nov 6, 2009
MT Pockets said:
I undertood what you were saying;)

Please Do tell... why are we as consumers to Blame as well?

goldfever said:
I was just using automobiles as one example.

Still does not change the fact that we as consumers are as much to blame for this as BP

I already answered that question )

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess if a food company sends out botulism tainted products, we are to blame for that too. After all, if people didn't buy stuff to eat.......

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not trying to get too much into politics with this topic, but I am not sure consumers are much to blame for BP's neglect to correctly monitor safety on this oil rig. We have no control of what they choose to do or not do out there on the oil rig, so why should we share the blame?

I agree that we should all start thinking more of the impact our habits have on nature and our society but in this case it seems that some safety controls were not in place or were not followed by BP and/or its contractors. I would also put some blame on the politicians that look the other way when dealing with these big oil companies.

The problem is that the leak has not even stopped yet so until it is controlled we won't know the full extent of the damage and restoration costs! The damage to the environment will be astronomical! Perhaps some new jobs will be created for the cleanup which may take years but there could be incredible loss of jobs, property values, and change of lifestyle in the communities affected. The rest of us will be affected by perhaps higher prices of gas and the domino effect that this human created tragedy is creating.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
number l, this should be in pollytix. number 2, it's not a spill, it's a disaster brought upon us because a company said it could regulate itself and went the cheap way to save some money. A spill is something that happens when a cup overturns or a boat springs a leak.

number 3, I was in the Gulf this morning, west of the Sandpiper resort in Pinellas County Florida (hahahahaha), I thought of how it would look covered in a 2 inch layer of crude and got pretty much bummed out.

number 4, whether or not you believe in global warming, climate change, peak oil or any combination of the above, it's time to move onto renewable energy sources. I wonder what would happen if we had a solar spill.

number 5, it's gonna hit within 6 months, it might not be a bunch, but the beaches from Clearwater to Pass A Grille will have tar balls and oil sheen. That's just a matter of the loop current.

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box
We're living right now in a economical recession, million people are losing jobs and the BP didn't has a second plan just in case? Don't tell me that BP was or ignored the possibility of a pipe break apart to resolve this problem as soon as possible?

This is totally unacceptable and it's a crime against United State and all the nature surround.

Arch

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good postings!

I just want to protect our beloved beaches but it may beyond our capability at this time! :-\

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
goldfever said:
I dont think it's fair to totally blame BP for this accident.

If it wasnt for the demand for oil, from every one of us, then accidents like this would not happen.

If you drive a car to get to the beach to MD and you find an oil slick ruining everything, then look to yourself as part of the problem responsible for it.
If that is the case then you really have no right to complain.

Disclaimer;,,, This is not directed at anyone here. This is just my take on this whole situation

Did all those dogs who died from eating tainted dog food deserve it because they didn't demand organic food?
Did those children deserve lead poisoning because they wanted to wear cheap jewelry?
Is my wife to blame for blood diamond genocide because she wears an engagement ring?
Am I to blame for asbestos related cancers because I wanted to go to a school with fire retardent insulation?
Are you responsible for the ecological disasters related to strip mining precious metals because you metal detect?

I stopped buying Exxon after the Valdez and I have never bought BP gas (that I am aware of) so I'm not sure how I bear any responsability for their mess ups. How can you drill and operate a hole a mile underwater and not have several emergency options for plugging it? I can shut off my well in three different ways.

Do not place BP's blame on me. And yes you ARE talking about all of us.

-Fathead

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
goldfever said:
As long as we thirst for oil, there will continue to be oil spills.

If BP goes bankrupt because of this spill, there will be less oil to go around, which will drive the price up.

Then everyone will be complaining about that too.

I think it is hypocritical to drive a car everyday, then complain about polution from oil spills.

If we , as a whole, didn't demand oil, then there would be no reason to drill offshore.
And this would never have happened.

So utimately, we as consumers are as much to blame for this as BP is.

Instead of assigning blame, and complaining, take some responsibility.
If you are not willing to park your car forever, then put your protest sign down, drive to the beach, and help clean it up!

Disclaimer; This is not directed at anyone in particular here. When I say "you" I mean everyone.

Have to disagree with you BIGTIME. I don't thirst for oil. If there was an available, and affordable alternative today for automobile transportation, that did not require oil, I (and pretty much everyone else out there) would be using it.

I place 100% of the blame on the big oil companies, and their lobbyists in Washington D.C., who have done everything in their power to squash the advancement of clean, renewable energy alternatives to oil and gas. Oh, I guess a bunch of the blame also goes to automotive industry for not designing and building alternative energy vehicles 50 years ago.

Give me a friggin break - we are using 200 year old technology in our vehicles. We put men on the moon in the 1960's - are you telling me that we couldn't design and manufacture automobiles that do not rely on gas and oil? Can you honestly tell me that if it weren't for the big oil companies looking out for their interests, that we wouldn't all be driving electric or battery powered cars by now?

I hope BP does go bankrupt and out of business. Maybe from their ashes, America and the rest of the world will wake up and put this reliance on oil behind us once and for all.

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not worry about the "Hobby" getting ruined. Think about those poor defensless animals that don't stand a chance of survival, think about the families of the commercial fishermen and how they will survive with no income, think about how it will affect the tourism industry.

A hobby is an activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure or relaxation, often in one's spare time.

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No matter what...it all SUCKS. :BangHead: :BangHead:

A year from now, its still gonna be around. The crowds will drop off, the fish will be tainted, we'll all be washing the oil off our boots and the counties will raise our taxes to make up for lost revenue.

As in every society- "someone" else out there will surely profit out of this- its just the way it is.

And this will be our happy dance= :blob8: covered in oil.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
That oil will hit the beaches sooner than anyone expected.

There is one thing I still do not understand. An oil rig such as the one that sank, never sank before in history. They are built to withstand hurricanes and extreme conditions. It was huge.

I've yet to see any photos of the sunk rig or mention of any investigation as to why it sank.

I believe that this oil rig was attacked, purposely sunk to destroy the US economy and in that respect that attack will do its job. This will be 9/11 times 10. Why did Obama announce he was sending SWAT teams to oil rigs in the Gulf?

Predictions......illegal aliens will be used to clean up the oil. That is why BP is not allowing interviews with clean up workers. Many cannot speak English.
There will be massive corruption in the clean up of the oil.
This will destroy businesses all along the Gulf Coast.
Oil will go up in price because of this terrorist attack. Gasoline will go up in price despite a drop in demand. Obama will get his taxes on oil passed.
Many will cancel plans to vacation in Florida and all along the Gulf Coast.
It will impact metal detecting....less vacationers means less rings and jewelry lost.
Because of that, water detector sales will plummet.

The effects of this oil disaster will last for decades.

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is addressed to the idiots that think if we use petroleum products we are responsible for that oil spill.

We create a demand for a product. How it is produced, at how much profit + greed is necessary, is the issue. In Canada when drillng offshore two(2) wells must be drilled simulatenously in case one blows. The other one is ready to become a relief well...but you darn well know that will eat into profits. Not to worry! If that becomes an industry standard, they'll just raise the price of petroleum products to cover the increased operating expenses AT THE SAME PROFIT MARGIN.

Saying we are repsonsible for BPs catastrophe is like saying the people who used electricity in Chernobyl are responsible for that nuclear catastrophe. Dummy up! You got it bass ackwards. jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread