WOT and the Excal ll

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I understand from some of "seasoned" hunters the WOT and Excal ll combo is God's weapon against hidden precious metal under the East Coast's sand and water.

If this true...

1. what type of project would I be getting into by trying to put this combo together this fall.
2. are the wot readily available
3. where do you get them
4. does anybody have a DIY manual or video for this project
5. what kind of added performance should I expect
6. what is the price on a WOT

Thanks
Piercesdad

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old_goldchaser said:
miser said:

WOT coils, they range in size from, I believe 12" to about 18" I think, maybe bigger. They are a secondary market coil made for Minelab detectors. Mostly for their gold detectors like the 2200 and their new one the GPX-4500, I think it is but the company that makes them also have begun making them over the years for the Explorer series detectors and Some Soveriegns and a few others.
Go to this site, Docs Detectors. He is a dealer in the coils and his site has a whole bunch of them listed and the detectors they are for. http://www.docsdetecting.com/ He pretty much concentrates on Minelab stuff.

WOT coil is made by Coiltek, actually the WOT only comes in one size, the 15" round coil. Coiltek makes other coils though and they come in many sizes from 6" on up..........
http://www.coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/

Coiltek use to make all of Minelabs coils for Minelab before Minelab started making them in house, they then began to make secondary market coils, specializing in Minelab coils. There are many different locations to get them, two of the largest is Docs and Detectordepot......http://www.detectordepot.com/coiltek_search_coils.htm

M

miser

Treasure_Hunter said:
old_goldchaser said:
miser said:

WOT coils, they range in size from, I believe 12" to about 18" I think, maybe bigger. They are a secondary market coil made for Minelab detectors. Mostly for their gold detectors like the 2200 and their new one the GPX-4500, I think it is but the company that makes them also have begun making them over the years for the Explorer series detectors and Some Soveriegns and a few others.
Go to this site, Docs Detectors. He is a dealer in the coils and his site has a whole bunch of them listed and the detectors they are for. http://www.docsdetecting.com/ He pretty much concentrates on Minelab stuff.

WOT coil is made by Coiltek, actually the WOT only comes in one size, the 15" round coil. Coiltek makes other coils though and they come in many sizes from 6" on up..........
http://www.coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/

Coiltek use to make all of Minelabs coils for Minelab before Minelab started making them in house, they then began to make secondary market coils, specializing in Minelab coils. There are many different locations to get them, two of the largest is Docs and Detectordepot......http://www.detectordepot.com/coiltek_search_coils.htm

Much obliged, Gents! :icon_thumleft:

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark
First I would like to say this is an excellent thread and a topic I have had in my mind for a while myself. However there are still some questions I have about the Excalibur and the WOT that I have not seen answered.

• Is the WOT compatible with both the 800 & 1000?
  • Curious is there any difference in the head circuitry between the 800 & 1000 or strictly just the coil size?
    • Does or should the Excalibur need to be tuned for the increased loop size of the WOT?
    • Does anyone have a guide for wiring straight into the control head?

I kind of liked the idea of using the waterproof connectors to splice the coil on giving you the option to change out coils, but since people in the know are down on using the w/p connectors I just can't see a reason for doing an inline splice at all unless it is a real pain to get the control head apart. But if the factory can do it (which they can) I see no reason why a skilled do-it-yourself-er can't do it either.

I also had some other questions for someone who has owned both the Excalibur and Excalibur II.
    • What is the actual difference between the two?
    • I have used the Excal II and did not like the signal delay I experienced. Another guy I hunted with who uses an Excal said he experienced the same thing and prefers the Excal over the Excal II.

Any light someone could shed here is appreciated. Thanks :icon_sunny:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no difference between the 800 & 1000 except the coil size. WOT can be used on all Excals, Sovereign and Excal coils are interchangeably, they are compatible to each other and there is no tuning to do using a WOT on either.

I chose to do the splice because I did not want to open the controls, you have to remove the knobs and shafts for knobs to slide out the controls. The splice is an mod to do and no danger of leaks in the controls from opening it up.

There are 3 different wiring versions that I know of for wiring inside the controls, depending on the year of the detector. I have a picture of it if you IM me I will send you copy.

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
And knowing is half the battle. GI Joe!

Can anyone shed light on the Excal and Excal II differences?

Thanks guys, lots of good info in this thread worthy of a sticky.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have learned, not a lot. A slimer coil, NImH battery with longer battery life, and suppose to be about an inch deeper on stock coil. Since I use WOT coil not stock coil I am already hunting a lot deeper then either stock version.........oh, and the fancy paint job too.

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MT Pockets said:
I have both Machines.. and THer's right..

Tones are different too..

Then again every machine has it's unique sound to it..

A question along the same lines. . . . how close are the tones between the Excalibur II and the Sovereign GT?

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
MT Pockets said:
I have both Excalibur 1000 & Excalibur II 1000..
Which do you like more and why, or do you even have a preference?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 Excal 1000s, both about 2005 to 2007, they both have slightly different tones. Also Excal with the WOT has the New Team Orcasound headphones, which changes the tones slightly from what they were. The new headphones are fantastic, they are so much more comfortable, they block out wind, and surf noise and if there is a conversation right next to me, I can tell someone is talking, but can't really understand what they are saying.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old_goldchaser said:
miser said:

Which one would you get for the Excal? I see one of your links has them for different models, and they are $169 to $199, and then he has a "kit" for the Excal for $410?????? Is this a "special" coil for the Excal, or just one of the coils for the land-use Minelabs and he is tacking on a pile of money just because it is "for" the Excal??
If he is doing that, that is very poor business.. $200+ just for instructions and a couple water-proof connectors??

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver, if you look at the red sale price you will see the WOT for the Excal and the splice kit together is $285, the suggested price is $410 not the sale price.

The kit for the waterproof connectors alone sells for $69.00 You can not add it to your Excal if it is under warranty, it will void the warranty. I personally do not recommend the splices show there, I do not know of any that have not eventually leaked.

"cl-15XD $410
Installation Instructions & HARDWIRING INSTRUCTIONS
The famous WOT coil for your Excalibur! Includes waterproof connectors for WOT and coil you remove.

cl-15XD Sale $ 285
15 in. DD WOT coil
for Excalibur
includes waterproof connector
set for WOT

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, didnt see that....
I wonder why (if they are pretty much the same) the big price difference between the SEF and the WOT coils... Man, they want an awful lot for those SEF coils...

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the splices one other piece of advice, use glue line shrink wrap. My neighbor does wells and he uses a shrink tube with a type of glue in it, and when he heats it some oozes out. They must work well since an inground pump can last for 20 years submerged...

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S.S.Tupperware said:
For the splices one other piece of advice, use glue line shrink wrap. My neighbor does wells and he uses a shrink tube with a type of glue in it, and when he heats it some oozes out. They must work well since an inground pump can last for 20 years submerged...

I am wondering if thats the same type of stuff we used on board ship? Its been a good many years but I seem to remember the shrink tubing we used was like that. Would ooze out, I guess glue. I dont rmember a whole bunch about it now because its been...gaddsss...something like 20 years maybe even longer...I dont want to remember just how long. <laugh> But it seems pretty familiar.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
MT Pockets said:
I know several people who have used the Doc's waterproof connectors on their Excals....

All of them have Leaked...... Just becareful..
[/quote

Not mine & working on year 2 Ya gotta install them correctly

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:
MT Pockets said:
I know several people who have used the Doc's waterproof connectors on their Excals....

All of them have Leaked...... Just becareful..
[/quote

Not mine & working on year 2 Ya gotta install them correctly

Great, of course, you know yours could be the exception. Not trying to start a fight. Alot of it has to do with your own skill and of course, the particular set of connectors that you received. And of course, following directions. But if the install of those takes very much skill, then that is something that is a big contributing factor.

You have to admit though, that those connectors do have a bad reputation, despite them working well for you. Perhaps its not deserved. I dont deny that THAT could be a very real possibility. I have bought alot of stuff them, never those connectors, but others have. So are yours any different or did you do anything that perhaps increased their effectivness or ???. Perhaps some photos of your installed connectors. That would be greatly appreciated. Its hard to get any kind of proper look on the sales page and perhaps being able to get a good look at the connectors after installation could go a long ways towards changing the perception that has built about them.

Thanks for posting about yours though. But really, we would appreciate a couple photos of your connectors if you could. Thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions