Jacksonville Beach

Swills

May 9, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Warning - slight rant.

Was nice to get out on the beach this past weekend. I think I saw 5-6 other MDers while on the beach for a few hours. Why is it that there is always one that leaves gopher holes wherever they went. I walked behind him after a few minutes to cover some of the holes and noticed that if a can was found it was left in the bottom of the hole. I mean if you have enough energy to dig the hole,, cant they at least take the trash AND cover their own hole?
At least it was a nice morning and it was the first time I actually ventured out into the waves. Found a couple pieces of costume jewelry and some clad. I should have my excalibur here tomorrow and looking forward to trying it out this coming weekend. Hope I spend more time detecting as opposed to covering holes I didnt dig.

Upvote 0

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with that, even if he did'nt take the can out at least cover up the hole. Pretty sad. Glad you did your part. I'm blunt, and would have said something.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
I would have said something, too! The guy needs to be clued in.

HH

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Although I'm on the other side of the states I will always either pick up the cans or pile the 12 pack up so the ppl who turn in cans can make a little change!!! .05 per can in OR depends if i have enough room in my bag!! but i don't leave them in the hole that is just a waste of energy!!!!! Also haul out the junk, pulltabs, nails, Spikes and everything else so i dont find it later!!!! i give the lead weight to the fishermen and women as i go by them!!!

HH Chug and Red

mommagpx

Feb 5, 2009
Why, why, why would you dig all that up and not take it with you so you don't dig it again, and just to clean the beach.. We have all had those moments when we dig and dig and are sooooo disappointed when it's trash, but not covering your hole and taking the trash with you. I don't get it. I totally believe it karma and the surf god's do not like this kind of behavior. You get nothing, nothing I say, lol!!!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mommagpx said:
Why, why, why would you dig all that up and not take it with you so you don't dig it again, and just to clean the beach.. We have all had those moments when we dig and dig and are sooooo disappointed when it's trash, but not covering your hole and taking the trash with you. I don't get it. I totally believe it karma and the surf god's do not like this kind of behavior. You get nothing, nothing I say, lol!!!

just to let everyone know that i sometimes leave cans but there is always someone right behind me picking them up and searchingfor the cansone the sand and dumpsters get all of those too!!!

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm blunt too if I see someone doing this.. but I have also gotten to the point that my trash holder is so full of cans already that I dont have room to gather up more till I hit the recycle can.. Its annoying as I even found a 6 pack emptied and buried.. pisses me off royally.

D

digum smacks

i will answer your questions because i was a tard once, its a bad habbit.the reason why he didnt fill in his holes is because it was low tide and figured the tide would come in and fill them for him,a form of "lazyness"and "greed".the reason why he left his trash there is because his pouch was full from more time digging and not filling in holes and the cans were too large and take up too much space in that stuffed pouch and figured another hunter will know its a can and leave it too. again "lazyness and greed"

OP
OP
Swills

Swills

May 9, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Those might be valid reasons for not picking up the trash or covering the holes, but Im still of the mind if you are going to dig the hole you need to take the trash out of it - if for nothing less that is one less piece of garbage the next detectorist will have to spend time digging. Its just a bit aggrevating knowing that the majority of us do the right thing.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tossed so much junk metal into trash cans over the years I can mimic the sound of it striking the barrel......"clang, thud, ching, twang!" :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread