Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Reverse Hunting (Excal's)

I think it slows me down so I reserve the technique for special situations. If I am in an area that is producing deep old targets like coins and sinkers then I will first hunt the area out in discriminate and then hit it again in pinpoint to see if I can get any more deep targets that were not detected in the discriminate mode. For normal everyday detecting I think it slows me down too much. I could be moving my search coil over a gold ring instead of messing with all that iron.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

John is right, you have to determine at one point in the hunt if Reverse hunting is best for the beach you are on at that moment. This comes in time. Here is one step even above the reverse hunting, even though it was a penny this time it could be a treasure next.

Best to start out with the factory settings when starting with the new Excalibur's, learn your machine and the Beach's you will be hunting...then move on to different metholds..........HH......................Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe is right...........It is best to start out with it in Disc and save time by not digging hairpins and other iron and move on to using all metal if targets are scarce. I think all that switching back and forth between Disc and Pinpoint just wastes your time. You may as well carry a PI on your back for changing over to the other deeper targets. It all comes down to the beach you are searching.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Usually the times that I hunt in pinpoint is when I am finding no targets in descrimination, AND I am NOT getting any nulls from iron. If the Excal isn't nulling on the beaches I hunt it tells me it is sanded in and I need the extra depth of reverse hunting..........If I am getting nulls and no targets I usually keep hunting in discrimination.............If a beach is trashy your wasting valuable time digging trash in my opinion...

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well I am a new Excalibur owner. So I have to learn the machine first. I have only found .34 wit it the first time I was out with it. It seamd like I was gettig a lot of false signals with it. PlusI was having a ard time pinpointing withte 10" coil. So now I am making a new scoop bigger then te one that I have now. Hoping this will help me find my target quicker....Matt

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If your falsing a lot your sensitivity is set to high, turn it down till it is stable, don't be afraid to adjust the sensitivity.

On pinpointing, when you find a target, if you slowly move coil back towards your feet, till you loose the target tone, target will be immediately off the toe of coil, works the same on the heel of coil. Bury a quarter and practice this at home, it works...

OP
OP
Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you all for your time and answers, Looks like I will be hanging around this section a lot.
Now off to the shed to see what I can turn over at the swap meet for some cash!
Arid.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Mlayers...Video Pinpointing with the 10 inch coil...

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000

Sandman said:
Joe is right...........It is best to start out with it in Disc and save time by not digging hairpins and other iron and move on to using all metal if targets are scarce. I think all that switching back and forth between Disc and Pinpoint just wastes your time. You may as well carry a PI on your back for changing over to the other deeper targets. It all comes down to the beach you are searching.
I tend to agree with this, although a new and slightly radical idea for me. My hunting time is very limited so I will give it a go. It's important to read the conditions when you're at the beach! HH, OD ;)

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sandman said....... "You may as well carry a PI on your back for changing over to the other deeper targets." hmmmmm :sign13: :laughing7:
i do it witth my cz20 and my excal... IF!!!!! there isnt much iron!!!!!!!!!!! too many signal checks that turn out to be iron takes to much time.

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:

mlayers - As you know I too just got the Exacl. I;ve been using the technique T-Hunter explained for PP and it works good. I can hit it pretty regular without switching to PP after a couple of days. Going off the heel of the coil works best for me.

Good luck

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:

Reverse discrimination? :icon_thumleft: I haven't heard that term since I used a Garrett ADS as my water machine and beach machine. Didn't think you could do it with a modern computerized machine but I guess anything is possible. I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I turned 60 last month and developed bursitis in my right shoulder. Digging dimes at 18 inches is deep enough for me, I'll leave the deeper stuff for you young kids. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread