Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can be waist deep at high tide or low tide, it just depends on where the bottom is you're standing on and the height of the water at that given moment.

Typically at low tide you have to go out farther to be waist deep than at high tide.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When someone says they were hunting in Waist deep water, that is what they mean regardless of the tide unless they state it.

OP
OP
dld

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
Sandman said:
When someone says they were hunting in Waist deep water, that is what they mean regardless of the tide unless they state it.

so I can use a non water proof detector and hunt the waters edge at low tide and hunt the same area they are wading with water machines?

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dld said:
Sandman said:

so I can use a non water proof detector and hunt the waters edge at low tide and hunt the same area they are wading with water machines?

You use a non-water detector anywhere provided you don't get the housing wet. Don't let the concept of low tide fool you. If there is a lot of wave action, even at low tide, you can still get splashed at the water's edge and ruin your detector.

Be very careful about that.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
This is Hightide OC Maryland, ...where the people are chest deep, 7 hours later........, lowtide..the area were they are standing chest deep will be the lowtide lane..this is almost perfect because the number of people in the water at peak beach time is between 11 am to 3 pm..This creates a deposit lane that will be the lowtide lane later around 7 pm...giving you very few people on the beach, more area to hunt, freedom to work a nice pattern and locate the treasures lost earlier. I would say most water hunters work these times or make adjustments to there hunting style to hit these area's. I have seen hunter use non-water detectors, skimming these area's, but they are taking a chance on shorting out there detectors, and they are not gaining full coverage of this area...are they finding the Gold, Yes..but they are giving up more by not having the right tools for the job. Every beach is so different, best to study the beach, tides, winds, swells, people, hunters...And have the right tools.........Here are 2 site's I use when I'm headed out...
http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/ocean-city-northeast_4406/
http://www.protides.com/map/state-map.php?Maryland
You can change the locations by searching your area

OP
OP
dld

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
OldeBeechnut said:
This is Hightide OC Maryland, ...where the people are chest deep, 7 hours later........, lowtide..the area were they are standing chest deep will be the lowtide lane..

Thanks,
is there a preference for high or low tide wading or do you just get there when you can?
I only have a land machine for now so it is all I can use, I am saving for a water machine. I am trying to get this figured out some ahead of time and know of no one that water hunts to ask.
Answers like "When someone says they were hunting in Waist deep water, that is what they mean regardless of the tide unless they state it." gosh darn! I could of never figured that out in a million years :laughing7:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Best time is lowtide for sure, 2 hours before and about 2 hours after. Really, that is why I shot this video, did a one day trip to Oc ..got there at the wrong time..high tide peak, For this beach, it's not good or productive to hunt at high tide, and just too many people..So..I set this hunt out watching the people, their habits, and a couple dry sand hunters. Now that is for this beach, I have other Beach's I would be out hunting at high tide, I just have to change my hunting style ..............Best thing is to save the cash, gold...and read up on your area, watch the people, hunters...get yourself a good water machine...and have fun, Best of Luck to you...........Joe

OP
OP
dld

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
OldeBeechnut said:
Best of Luck to you...........Joe

Thanks again

I see you have a Garrett Ls, ML Excal 8 which do you like best for your area?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The Infinium Ls 10x14 mono coil and the CZ20 for the Chesapeake Bay, the Excals 8 & 10 for Ocean City, Md. Winter beach Oc, the Ls or hunting AM/PP mode with the excals. The infinium in the bay has great coverage for resent drops, some reason the excals have a hard time there...{have not figured that out yet} .. my youtube site, check out the vid's on each...

http://www.youtube.com/user/OldeBeechnut#g/u

http://www.youtube.com/user/oldbeechnut

If I had to make a choice between the two, the excal 8 would be my first choice

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
You can be waist deep at high tide or low tide, it just depends on where the bottom is you're standing on and the height of the water at that given moment.

Typically at low tide you have to go out farther to be waist deep than at high tide.
You did well..... The question posted could have really drawn some smartass responses, and even mild old me has to ask "what the heck kind of question is this?".... My head is still spinning.... LOL...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:

Sorry did, this is the way I should have said it to make it clear.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Smudge said:

I hope you didnt think my post was aimed at you Sandman... I was talking about the original post... You answered him very nicely..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Surfer said:
Sandman said:
Smudge said:

I hope you didnt think my post was aimed at you Sandman... I was talking about the original post... You answered him very nicely..

I at first thought I was answering Overkill Overkill again. Some times we answer to hastily.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't know where the poster is from, but I figured if he grew up in some place like Kansas and hasn't been to the beach (ever), he might not understand the difference.

I'd pray for the same kind of mercy if I ever went gold prospecting ("This slucing thing works how, exactly?") ;D

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like a low in the early morn and evening to hit the wet sand, but a hi hunt early or late can be good to. I guess what I'm sayin is go as often as you can its a game of odds. :thumbsup:

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Didn't know where the poster is from, but I figured if he grew up in some place like Kansas and hasn't been to the beach (ever), he might not understand the difference.

I'd pray for the same kind of mercy if I ever went gold prospecting ("This slucing thing works how, exactly?") ;D
But man, sluicing is a process, and of course you wouldnt know... But lord, doesnt everyone know what a tide is, and that the water changes in depth with the changes in the tide?
They USED to teach us stuff like that in elementary school... Probably dont even teach it in High School anymore... Too busy teaching about political correctness and proper condom use...

kai_gold

Jun 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Use: Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, F5, Compadre

Previously Used: Etrac, Explorer, G2, Lobo ST, Ace 250, Ace 350, MXT, Goldmaster 4/b, Gold Stinger, GTAx 550, Sovereign, Golden Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've grown up away from the coast, but worked around water most of my life. You would be surprised at how little many people know about lakes or especially the ocean around here. Even if they hear about tides, not likely that they will remember it since it doesn't really affect them. I think it is better they ask questions and become familiar with the beach and potential dangers. Would hate to hear about a noob getting caught in a rip-tide or similar situation, turning a fun outing into a tragedy. Isn't this about fun anyway?

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but it amazes me that some people are so negative on the forums and at times seem to enjoy ripping people's questions. If they hate answering peoples questions and get frustrated with other people's answers, then what are they doing on the forums any how. What's happening to the good old days of comaraderie? If it wasn't for friendly detectorists, how many of us would have missed out on this fun hobby?

To all the noobs, no question is a dumb question. Stupid is the person who thinks they have no more to learn or no questions to ask. Happy hunting!

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you said it wasnt directed at anyone... My post was not about a question being dumb, there really isnt a dumb question and I agree with you that it would be dumb to jump into anything potentially dangerous without knowing or asking questions first.. My thoughts were that I just cant believe that anyone who has had at least an 8th grade education wouldnt know about tides, and that it means water moving in and out, and changing depth... It is one of the first things they used to (and I hope still do) teach in basic science/biology classes..
And addressing those who seem mean on the boards, yeah, sometimes many people can simply be jerks who jump at the chance to slam someone.. But people also shouldnt be lazy and expect to be spoon-fed, when a simple Google search on "Ocean Tides" would teach them a lot...
But bottom line, we all have to learn this hobby, and I myself have asked many, many, questions.. And I have even been lazy a time or two...

HH

kai_gold

Jun 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Use: Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, F5, Compadre

Previously Used: Etrac, Explorer, G2, Lobo ST, Ace 250, Ace 350, MXT, Goldmaster 4/b, Gold Stinger, GTAx 550, Sovereign, Golden Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding your opinion on education, I agree. Kids aren't being taught like they used to. My mother has been a teacher for a very long time and things are changing in recent years. Teachers are focusing more and more on teaching for the tests so that they don't lose their job. As a result, these kids are getting highly educated on a few topics and missing out on the broader scheme of things. Unfortunately, I don't see this improving anytime soon and as a result, the kids are likely to grow up with an even more limited understanding of the world. I remember first learning about tides in 5th grade. Don't know if it is even covered much anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread