Bass mistakes wetsuit strap for snake

abeach01

May 9, 2010
USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXCALIBUR X10
I was out night hunting and was in a body glove shorty wetsuit that the strap has body glove wrote on it in many places in white letters on black. When entering the water it was quite quiet so i went straight to the deep water. I got about chest deep when a big splash happened right behind me and my wetsuit was then unzipped half way down with a big tug. I could not figure it out only that a big bass saw the strap slithering across the bouy line so he thought it was a yummy snake and hit it. Never in 18 years of hunting have I had a fish that big hit me. I hit big catfish all the time with my wot coil that sometimes jerk my arm quite hard, \i even had a fish get caught in my coil and stripped the wire causing it to false out. FUNNY.....

Upvote 0

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe a muskie :o

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just imagine a 6 ft Jewfish sucking your fin into it's mouth when you are concentrating on the fish you want to spear in front of you....
I though my diving buddy was being an ass, and I turned to give him a dirty look, and saw the monster grouper spit out my fin... And my freediving fins are almost 4 ft long!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story...LOL Now you'll have guys cutting off the strap on the wet suits in the dive shops to use them on Lunker Bass. :thumbsup:

Mitch1FL

Oct 6, 2004
Sebastian, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI1500/AT-Pro/Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years a ago I was in the water at Cocoa beach. I was just out in waist deep water by the fishing pier.
I was using my old Excalibur with the sea search "horseshoe head" coil on it. All of the sudden I see this long dark shadow in the water hit my coil. It bit down on my coil and tried to take off with it. It hit it so hard it yanked it right out of my hands. But I had the main unit hip mounted. So once it got a few feet away, it ran out of cable and got yanked back out of its mouth. I was back peddeling so fast, I suddenly became like god and was walking on water. Still dragging my detector thru the water behind me. My hunting partner came up and asked what was going on. I told him and he just about fell over laughing. Its funny now and a great story, but back then I needed to find a bathroom and clean out my pants !!! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting story

A few weeks ago I had a horseshoe crab that wouldn't leave my SeaHunter coil alone. It attached itself to it I guess to mate with it :laughing9: :laughing9: I pulled it and the coil out of the water and finally got him to detach from it.....poor coil.

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
LOL a couple of weeks ago I had a snapping turtle check out my scoop and Excal it freaked my out. I had to bump him\her on the shell with my scoop to get it to go. It was making a bee line strait for me I could see it's trail in the sand the rest of my hunt I kept looking over my shoulder lol.
HH-drewan

lowtones

Aug 19, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur , Explorer 2 ,Soverign elite,
When i am night hunting in the ocean many times i feel a fish bump into my legs. And everytime it happens you see a grown 51 year old man jump and walk on water. i think it is striped bass. i see them follow me when i open up a hole then they immediately jump in and start feeding. i had 2 bass follow me for a half an hour patiently waiting for me to leave the hole so they can eat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread