So, do they "really" close the beach after a hurricane?

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE
So, do they "really" close the beach after a hurricane?

Just wondering what others experiences are related to this. I have seen the signs after a big storm and thought damn, this is the perfect time for me to go to the beach!
It's almost as if someone is trying to stop me from finding the good stuff.
What do you do after a big storm at the beach?
Thanks for reading,
Danny

Upvote 0

leefields

Feb 25, 2008
Lake Hamilton Florida 33851
Detector(s) used
Excall 2 w/Anderson shaft ...
Minelab CTX 3030 ...
Minelab GT
Re: So, do they "really" close the beach after a hurricane?

not that i know off....how can you close a beach....

they can however...and usually do here in florida....restrict access...make it hard to get over to the beach...

and you can walk along ways...the past couple of storms here in florida have seen the bridges over to A1A closed outbound...so you cant get over there...
people can however come to the mainland as a way of escape

i think the plan usually is to be where ever you want to be....before the storm gets to the beaches...
a couple of us have plans for hotels the full day before the storm gets here next time...

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

:coffee2:
after charlie came by i tried to go on melbourne beach and was asked to leave. security on 4wheelers were going up and down checking for looters but still asked me to go. 62 years old and fat i must have looked to be a threat!!

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI

They dont really close the beach here, they close the road! HH

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Here in St. Johns County, there are only a few access points to Anastasia Island. One must have a resident pass in order to cross the bridges, if coming from the mainland. Of course, if you are on the island and never leave after the storm, then you are good to go. Also, we have 16 miles of beach where driving is allowed. They will close the beach access ramps until flotsam and other hazards can be removed and any erosion is regraded. I've never seen it closed to pedestrians.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:

Yes the beaches are closed 2 days before the hurricane and 2 weeks after it's all over. This only in USA stay home and bake cookies. Metal detecting is very bad too! All the sand is gone
(can't dig in the hard stuff) and the target washed out to sea. HE HE ! LOL!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Buried Crap NJ said:
Yes the beaches are closed 2 days before the hurricane and 2 weeks after it's all over. This only in USA stay home and bake cookies. Metal detecting is very bad too! All the sand is gone

Hey, I remember you :laughing7: I think everyone in NJ knows the beaches are only closed to swimming, but it was a good try :icon_thumleft: Our beaches are covered with surfers until the rain comes. Once the rain stops, those guys are there to catch the last rain drop too :icon_thumleft:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:

Yes they will close the bridges if they are not damaged. They will set up road blocks on the beach road if you make it over the bridges. If you dont possess an ID that says you live there, you will not be able to proceed. And yes the lifeguards will also close the beach. But if you can make it over the bridge, through the roadblocks, you can usually access the beach from private property on foot.

Unless you have a local address ID, the only way to access the beach by vehicle is to be there before the storm. You need to find a safe hiding place to ride it out. Bring plenty of gas, tunafish, bread and fresh water. An old vehicle is a must because your paint job will be peppered. The best way would be to stay with someone that owns private property and a strong house.. I dont think thay can force evacuation.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Buried Crap NJ said:
I guess you want the beaches all to yourself lol. Of course thats where the old heavy gold and silver will be on the hard stuff, on the beach.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcypresshunter said:
Y I dont think thay can force evacuation.

Well, they certainly try their best in several towns that are very prone to extreme flooding here. It's also a 2-way street, because sometimes they will close the only road into a town and you have no real way of getting in, that is unless you take to the water :laughing7:

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:

bigcypresshunter said:
Buried Crap NJ said:
I guess you want the beaches all to yourself lol. Of course thats where the old heavy gold and silver will be on the hard stuff, on the beach.
I don't know what your talking about. When the red clay turns up it bad stay home. Just broken pieces of wood on the beaches. Stay home till I clean up the bad stuff. LOL!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Buried Crap NJ said:
I don't know what your talking about. When the red clay turns up it bad stay home. Just broken pieces of wood on the beaches. Stay home till I clean up the bad stuff. LOL!

I'm curious what beaches you go to.. I used to love love Sea Bright, because of all the good places to eat that are close. Unfortunately if you have a heavy rain that town is under water. I'm down in the Toms River area now, but I've been too lazy to go out and hunt.. So, the more for you :headbang:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Buried Crap NJ said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Buried Crap NJ said:
I guess there are different situations. But generally heavy metals such as lead, gold, silver will work their way down over the years until they hit hard pan or hard rock, hard sand, whatever. Here in Florida everyone knows a storm that cuts the beach down to bedrock is prime hunting at its best. I mean the very best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread