Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit a spot today that Snooksion has been wanting to do for a long time.. Need a boat to get there... Although I had some reservations about it (boat party places tend to be VERY trashy), I agreed it was time to hit it if we were going to.. Got up at 2:30 and met up at 6am... Hunted the spot until 10:30 and Dave had found a beautiful 18k spinner ring.. He will be posting later I am sure so I dont want to spoil his story.... But here's the thing.. This guy is really lucky, yeah, he really knows water hunting, no doubt, but so often he is in the right spot at the right time.. Here's why I say this.. When he found that ring, he was walking the same line I had walked, but about 10 ft to the right of the line I walked.. Yeah, still no guarantee I would have hit it....
But then we hunted the other side of the park until 2:30 pm and I had to get home due to a dog being locked up... Damn dog anyway.. Dave wanted to hunt South Beach, but again, the dog kept me from doing that.. So I am headed home, and get a message from Dave--- Major, major score... Again, I wont spoil it for him, but dayum, if I had gone with him, who knows???
Again, right place-right time... I think I am going to eat my dog for dinner..... Seriously.... Daschund, need I say more???

So I ended up with $2.35 in clad and a really nice pair of Fossil Glasses that are in perfect condition.. Really nice lenses and not a scratch on them..

The bin of crap is what I dug today... And you cant see in the picture, but that pile is a good two inches deep...
I will implant that image into my noggin, maybe next time I think of taking my PI to a Boat-Party spot, I will remember....

HH all!

Attachments

• 08_14 clad.jpg
    08_14 clad.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 652
  • 08_14 glasses.jpg
    08_14 glasses.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 651
  • 08_14 crap pile.jpg
    08_14 crap pile.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 649
Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you were In a pretty good area, As I say where there is trash!!! There should be treasure near by!!!

Cant wait to see what Dave found!!!! HH Chug and Red

Beats the 1.26 in clad i found today before i got scorched out!!!! I'm getting up very early tomorrow!!! to beat the 98 degree day!!

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I agree. Snooksion is a very good hunter and knows what he is doing. I think he has special powers (ESP?) for knowing when and where to go. WTG on your finds though.... who knows????? Next time it may be you that finds that good find and he will miss it just by millimeters! :wink:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That poor dog will be happy as heck to see you again. Look at them brown eyes and try to be mean. As for the hunt it sometimes goes like this. I had a woman friend that had this ESP think going for her. She would be walking a line and all of a sudden walk off it to scan a nice ring then go back to her line. I swear she didn't need batteries in her Tiger Shark. The killer part was she claimed she listened for, "hardly a sound." Now to me you either have a sound or you don't. :laughing7:

That is a lot of trash you found. I'd hate to do those boat party places with a PI.

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz
Well its something and you will find some nice finds i know it and you know it, and I'm looking forward to see them later! :headbang:

And the area is more cleaner than before :laughing7:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sometimes, it really comes down to luck. But other times, what is perceived as luck is really skill. Even if the "lucky" hunter doesn't realize that they are utilizing the skill. Small observations from hunting are lodged in the gray matter and subconsciously extracted without us realizing it. I've watched new hunter scan a line and from my experience, I know they won't find a single target. Moving the line by 5', that same hunter has the probability of digging quite a few.

It is why when I venture onto a new beach, I conduct some exploratory patterns such as a "W" search. Find a few targets in a wide scan area and extrapolate where the likelihood of future finds will lie. Once the line is found then I'll scan and grid above and below the line to eliminate all targets.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mumszie said:
I agree. Snooksion is a very good hunter and knows what he is doing. I think he has special powers (ESP?) for knowing when and where to go. WTG on your finds though.... who knows????? Next time it may be you that finds that good find and he will miss it just by millimeters! :wink:
I doubt it Mums.... This post was not meant to be a whine-fest, re-reading it, it kinda sounds that way.... I have been very lucky in my opinion, I have found more stuff in the last 6 months than many do after years of hunting... But man, like I said before, Dave is a hunting machine.. We have been out I think 6 times together, and he has found something nice every time... I have only found one thing nice while out with him, but that was that $600 bracelet... Never have found a ring while with him though, not even a cheap one... Maybe HE has put the Hootchie-Cootchie curse on me rather than the other way around!! LOL...
I still like going with him though, his technique actually PUSHES me to hunt harder than I normally do when alone.. But lord knows, I am just cringing the whole time we hunt together, and the anxiety builds as time goes on, cause I just KNOW that any second he is gonna let out that Dave "Whoop" before I do..

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Swed Hunther said:
Well its something and you will find some nice finds i know it and you know it, and I'm looking forward to see them later! :headbang:

And the area is more cleaner than before :laughing7:
Thanks for the encouragement, and a good point about the trash cleanup... But what I'd like more than anything would be to see one of the boat party people toss a beer cap in the water, then walk over and dump all 3 lbs of the caps in that photo into their boat... That would be priceless (and probably get me shot)...

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
I just love it when those that are not as successful as others, attribute peoples success to "luck". Perhaps it's the 40 years I've put in, Dave's umpteen years of hunting and knowing where to look, how to swing the coil and listen for those deep signals. My newbie friend I go out with trys to attibute my success to luck also. Keep thinking it's luck and you'll never get better... :help:

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lord man, do you know how to read?
I never attributed Daves success to nothing but luck, but that luck DOES play a part in it... I myself have been luckier than most in this hobby, considering how much nice stuff I have found in the few months I have been doing this. I even found a huge 14k bracelet while hunting with Dave... Now you gonna say I have better skills than him because I found it and he didnt??? I doubt you will... It was LUCK that made me hit the spot, and not him...
It has a lot to do with skill, I never said it didnt... But deciding on which of the gazillion beaches to hit, and when just blindly (and with the conditions of late, the line picked is often simply random) picking a line and hitting on a big find, yes, luck does come into play... For you, for Me, for Dave, for all of us... Being at the right place at just the right time is something that does come into play, just like the lottery..
But the skills that you, Dave, Mark, and many others have, does reflect in the number of good finds.... That is a no-brainer....
Okay, done ranting...

kai_gold

Jun 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Use: Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, F5, Compadre

Previously Used: Etrac, Explorer, G2, Lobo ST, Ace 250, Ace 350, MXT, Goldmaster 4/b, Gold Stinger, GTAx 550, Sovereign, Golden Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I see it is that learning to read a location to increase the odds of finding good stuff, learning to use the machine, and search technique are skill. Actually finding anything is luck since your have zero control over when and where someone loses something. I've been skunked at the perfect place and found stuff where it shouldn't have been. You can have all the skill in the world but if a ring isn't there, you aren't going to find it. HH

numpty

Jul 31, 2010
My hunting partner beats me hands down 80% of the time
and I too attributed this to luck, but the fact is he has more
experience than me which manifests itself as almost a sixth sense
and probably a better ear (whispers).
The one time luck definately played a part was when we both walked
in the water and I put my coil straight onto a gold medallion and chain,
to which he said you lucky b@$£@£d.. I went running to the car to
stash it away and on returning took two steps and found a gold bracelet!!!
So both luck and experience play a part.
Oh and dont be to hard on the dog my old girl spent everyday with me and even came to the beach and yesterday we had to
put her to sleep.. I'm gutted...
would I swap a whole load of finds to have her back? you bet.
Although I did find some clay pipe and a fork when I buried her...am I addicted?
Enjoy your smelly hairy critter while you can.

Attachments

• Merzouga Sunrise (92).JPG
    Merzouga Sunrise (92).JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 284
OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
numpty said:
My hunting partner beats me hands down 80% of the time
and I too attributed this to luck, but the fact is he has more
experience than me which manifests itself as almost a sixth sense
and probably a better ear (whispers).
The one time luck definately played a part was when we both walked
in the water and I put my coil straight onto a gold medallion and chain,
to which he said you lucky b@$£@£d.. I went running to the car to
stash it away and on returning took two steps and found a gold bracelet!!!
So both luck and experience play a part.
Oh and dont be to hard on the dog my old girl spent everyday with me and even came to the beach and yesterday we had to
put her to sleep.. I'm gutted...
would I swap a whole load of finds to have her back? you bet.
Although I did find some clay pipe and a fork when I buried her...am I addicted?
Enjoy your smelly hairy critter while you can.
I know the dog "connection" as I used to hunt champion springers.... Cried like a baby when my best dog ever, Ralph, died...
But this thing, er, dog, is something else... Wiener Dog (need I say more), was never neutered (wife wanted a pup), and will just not quit peeing in the house, or if I dont lock him in a cage or the shower, will tear the living shiat out of things.... I can take him out to pee, actually I have to force him 99% of the time to even go out (it's too hot, it's too wet, I dont feel like it, etc...) and he will still find things to pee on.. Pee'd on some very important paperwork I was working on last night, got sleepy, stood it up against my nightstand, and the #&%*#(# peed on it sometime early this morning... And I took him out for a walk at 1 am in the morning to pee... It seems to be a stubborn, marking his territory thing.. I have never even heard of a dog that at 8 yrs was still routinely peeing around his house, and being an un-neutered male, it stinks worse than cat pee...
I bought a wire cage yesterday that I will have to start putting him in at night, and the f'er peed on that this morning too... He knows what they are as my wife has one of them for him in Utah (that he hates)...
Although he has been very amusing at times, and my wife loves him to death, I really dont like this dog anymore.. She had to go care for her mother in Idaho, and has been gone for a month... He still cant get over it.. She will NEVER leave that dog with me again... Never....

Anyway, you and the others are so right about the skill involved, such as "the whispers" and "just knowing".. That comes with years of practice.. But you are also right about the luck, such as just walking out and hitting the good stuff right away... That is where the luck can play a big part to this...
Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I dont... All part of the game.. I want to get "consistent", and that is again where Dave shines...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I believe it is at least 25%-40% luck, if you don't get your coil over a target your not going to find it.

Yes it takes skill in knowing how to use your detector to get the most out of it, how to use your scoop to recover quickly and not lose a target, you have to know where to hunt, when to hunt, how to hunt, how to read a beach, how to read the water, even how read the people on the beach, but if you don't get your coil over the target your not going to find it..........BUUUUT, that 60%-75% skill is VERY important..... :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread