First time out this year, silver, and an excal fix

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
After being out of commission since January with a torn retina and the new full time job of " Mr. Mom " I finally got out for 2 whole hours on Saturday. My wife and I went out to Cocoa with the baby to visit a friend who has a condo on the beach. It felt great to get out if only for a short spin. Found 51 cents, 2 pull tabs, and a .925 spinner ring in the wet sand. The plastic shaft on my Excal where the coil attaches slipped out of the metal shaft. I think it is only glued in. I drilled a hole and added a bolt which should fix the problem permanently. The conditions were good and I wish I had time to go deep in the water, the waves were low and the tide was going out. Next time...

Tek

Attachments

• spinner2010.jpg
    spinner2010.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 559
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 574
  • bolt1.jpg
    bolt1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 570
Upvote 0

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great ring. With all the jewelry I recover, I have yet to get a spinner ring. Keep it comin.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the bolt may be to close to the coil? there are usually plastc rivits near where your bolt is. that bolt might be interfering with/decreasing your coils sensetivity?

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I agree with Seeker. You certainly need to make a trip to the local hardware store and get a few plastic bolts and nuts (never hurts to have an extra or two.) I would not use a metal bolt and nut so close to your coil. I would think the metal nut and bolt would certainly have some effect on the coil. Go with the nylon or plastic hardware down there.

JRich

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
You might replace that aluminum bolt and wingnut with the plastic kind....Your coil will pick that up, way to close. HH John

OP
OP
T

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
I think the bolt may be far enough away, but if I have any problems I'll switch it out with a nylon bolt like the one that attaches the coil at the bottom.

Tek

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
Hey teklord,
I had the same problem earlyer this year I called minelab and they gave me the number to a place that repairs them here in Michigan I talked to him and he told me to use JB weld it's what he uses so I tried it haven't had a problem since it's been 4 months. The only draw back is you have to let it cure and dry for 14 hours. I would loose the bolt though the reason I say this is not only because of the sens. issue but I would be afraid of the fiberglass cracking after awhile.
just my .02
HH-drewan

OP
OP
T

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Thank you all for the input. When I move an aluminium bar past the area where the bolt is I get a solid reading which fades out about 4-5 inches above. I will definitely switch to nylon. Why does the aluminum shaft itself not cause a problem in this area?

Tek

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Have to put in my nickel's worth ...

I know that metal near the coil which is stationary has only an electrical properties effect. For example if you tape a penny to the coil it will have an effect on the coil properties (the coil wires are metal too) but not picked up in the motion mode.

I wonder if metal like that might not have a positive effect too? Hmm Maybe an interesting project to try?

HH Joe

PS: please correct me if I am totally off base here.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used epoxy like Snookson suggests ( :icon_thumright:) on mine 3 years ago, hasn't had a problem since.......

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
drewan29 said:
Hey teklord,
I had the same problem earlyer this year I called minelab and they gave me the number to a place that repairs them here in Michigan I talked to him and he told me to use JB weld it's what he uses so I tried it haven't had a problem since it's been 4 months. The only draw back is you have to let it cure and dry for 14 hours. I would loose the bolt though the reason I say this is not only because of the sens. issue but I would be afraid of the fiberglass cracking after awhile.
just my .02
HH-drewan

DREWAN........YES!! we need the number to the repair center that you were refering to!!!!!!!!!!!!

TEKLORD.............. i used waterproof marine epoxy and its still holding!!!!

TEKLORD..................... your lower shaft should be fiberglass not aluminum.

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
That lower shaft should be fiberglass, not aluminum.

Mine fell apart exactly as you describe, and I just used epoxy to bond it back together. Been fine ever since.

Good luck!

Jim

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
The bolt will not effect the coil as it does not move. Nautilus detectors come with a stainless bolt to hold the coil on. Some of the deepest detectors out there.

Jason

OP
OP
T

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
I got out again yesterday for 3 hours, 76 cents and a junque ear ring.

The stainless steel bolt worked fine. 99 % of the time I am running with discrimination on. In pinpoint you get a slight reading but none at all with disc on. Against the majority of advice here I am going with the hardware over the glue. I am more concerned about the damn thing falling apart than anything else.

lots of people at the beach yesterday.

Tek

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread