Chemical way to clean corroded coins for use again.

A

abrakdabra

Hey,
:) I've found, and continue to find, heaps of corroded coins at the beach. They're green/red. They're just coins, nothing collectable. I have no clue how to chemically get them silver again, their normal colour, to use like any other coin in shops. Tried bleach but :) they went from green/red to black. Since they're nothing special, just coins, an electrolytic method is dumb. Any of you alchemists know how to chemically clean them? Yours truly, 'in need of bus fare'/'will detect for food'. :)

Upvote 0

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem with clad coins is they are made of junk.

Precisely why tumbling is my favorite method. I'm fortunate to have a huge tumbler for tumbling bullet casings. I use the harbor freight ceramic abrasive tumbling media in the 5lb package. After tumbling, they arent too bad - shiny and clean, with no chemicals. I do add a wee bit of dawn dish soap to make it wetter though - but not enough to cause suds!

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By the way, I also have tried a jewelry (sonic) vibrator and it was not especially helpful, that they sell to clean rings and stuff.

Last edited:

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cover your coins in your tumbler with just enough lemon juice and add 3 tablespoons salt. Run them for 30 minutes and 95% will be clean and shiny save the dirty ones for the next batch and always separate the pennies and run them last or your coins will all be pink. It works so well you could probably dilute the lemon juice but I get a quart at the 99 cents store and it lasts me all year as I can wait longer to collect and run them now that I don't have to run each bath for 3 or four hours. I just use the same mix and add just enough juice each time to keep the batch covered.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock tumbler is your best method..... id only use the other methods for more interesting coins or tokens. But for sear mass..... rock tumbler. Tumble pennies separate. You can use CLR..... im just not a chemical guy. For any coins you intend on having graded..... leaving them like they are.... now days they even tell if chemical have been used. I get near $600 to $700 worth of coins a year.... think about it.

Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread