Clearwater Beach - Well I tried.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:hello: Hadn't been to CWB in years so took a friend over for her first TH'ing adventure. She hunted the knee deep to wet sand area but found nothing, not even trash. I hunted the chest deep water and after 3 hours of hunting scored about 50 cents in assorted clad change. Bumped into two separate water hunters and they both told me the past weekend, there were no less than 15 detectorist hunting that beach. Ten in the water and 5 on land. Well I guess they did a good job but missed the change I found. Some of the coins were discolored so they'd been in the water a while.
Just goes to show you that they never get it all. :laughing7:

Attachments

• MVC-869S.JPG
    MVC-869S.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 768
Upvote 0

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
There was a guy on a forum that used to hunt a place he called "The Shark Pit". He never told where it was but one other detectorist through researching all his posts, examining the background of the pictures, practically stalked him, found his spot! He was very, very upset. He deleted all his content on the site and no longer posts.

I had something similar happen to me by telling, of all people, my brother, about a crabbing spot. Every weekend I would go out and their would be a couple of boats in my spot that I recognized from the neighborhood or friends of my brother! They would be there long before the sun came up. They would say "Mornin!", Drove me nuts!! Felt like giving them the finger!!

Anyway, if I did find a "great spot" I will be cautious of posting on location pictures. Unfortunately, time has been escaping me just about all summer.

Most all beach places are public. I think most of what we detectorists do is luck of being at the right place at the right time at the beach. No doubt there is skill involved, technique, completely knowing your machine, where to hunt, when to hunt. Are we going to "get it all", no way. I do think pickings will get slimmer as a beach is pounded also.

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
PA John said:
There was a guy on a forum that used to hunt a place he called "The Shark Pit". He never told where it was but one other detectorist through researching all his posts, examining the background of the pictures, practically stalked him, found his spot! He was very, very upset. He deleted all his content on the site and no longer posts.

I had something similar happen to me by telling, of all people, my brother, about a crabbing spot. Every weekend I would go out and their would be a couple of boats in my spot that I recognized from the neighborhood or friends of my brother! They would be there long before the sun came up. They would say "Mornin!", Drove me nuts!! Felt like giving them the finger!!

Anyway, if I did find a "great spot" I will be cautious of posting on location pictures. Unfortunately, time has been escaping me just about all summer.

Most all beach places are public. I think most of what we detectorists do is luck of being at the right place at the right time at the beach. No doubt there is skill involved, technique, completely knowing your machine, where to hunt, when to hunt. Are we going to "get it all", no way. I do think pickings will get slimmer as a beach is pounded also.

Big difference between a spot like the "Shark Pit" and an active ocean beach with tides and currents constantly moving targets around and being replenished by swimmers on a regular or atleast seasonal basis....the afforementioned "Shark pit" is a former swimming resort that for the most part is no longer in use. It also sits in the Chesapeake bay where the bottom is not affected nearly as much as an oceanfront location....I liken it to a relic Hunter that has found a long forgotten virgin Confederate campsite....I would never utter a word to anyone else....because once that site is exploited by others it will get picked clean pretty quickly....The same can be said about the "shark pit"...I watched his videos and I could figure out that it was the Chesapeake bay almost immediately from the size of the area and the type of items he was digging (of course I know a little about that area too) The guy who did the research and found the spot well....it is his to exploit....That's the chance that "Mr. Shark Pit" took when he posted it on the internet....Hey...he was excited and proud about his finds and he wanted to share it with others....I can't fault the guy for that....is that area now being overrun by hoards of water hunters? I sincerley doubt that too....JMHO....Surfdigger

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
I agree with everything you said Surfdigger. There is plenty of treasure for everyone! I guess I went a little off topic by going on a rant about something that had happened to me.

Be careful what you post if you are concerned in the least bit, "that is the chance you take".

By the way I love your videos!!!

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
PA John said:
I agree with everything you said Surfdigger. There is plenty of treasure for everyone! I guess I went a little off topic by going on a rant about something that had happened to me.

Be careful what you post if you are concerned in the least bit, "that is the chance you take".

By the way I love your videos!!!
Hey....Thank You John.... :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread