Clearwater Beach - Well I tried.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:hello: Hadn't been to CWB in years so took a friend over for her first TH'ing adventure. She hunted the knee deep to wet sand area but found nothing, not even trash. I hunted the chest deep water and after 3 hours of hunting scored about 50 cents in assorted clad change. Bumped into two separate water hunters and they both told me the past weekend, there were no less than 15 detectorist hunting that beach. Ten in the water and 5 on land. Well I guess they did a good job but missed the change I found. Some of the coins were discolored so they'd been in the water a while.
Just goes to show you that they never get it all. :laughing7:

Attachments

• MVC-869S.JPG
    MVC-869S.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 768
Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea it seems like there is more and more competition out there every day....Matt

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
Oh sure competition.....Yeah and the "competition" are stacked like cord wood detecting one popular world famous beach.....ok....that's cool....I say everybody in the pool!! And I have found a few nice rings there in the past myself....But come on!....It seems as though few people have an original thought when it comes to alternate places to hunt....The smart water hunters do a bit of research and find a few "plan B" beaches to hunt in the area (and there are plenty of them)....but those resourceful hunters, it seems, are few and far between....So do you still think that all that "competition" is really "COMPETITION" after all?? ;D :laughing7: ;D :laughing7: Think about it.....

Bobbie

Nov 7, 2005
Connecticut and SW Florida
Detector(s) used
2 Minelab Excal 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are plenty of lurkers who read these forums and never post. When some idiot makes a posting that there is plenty of gold and jewels being lost on a particular beach you had better bet that there will be plenty of hunters there the next day. The lurker wants the easy way out.

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
when i first started md-ing, i used a ratshack on wet sand beach.
i told everybody there was nothing to be found! people behind were hitting like nobodys business.
what i am saying is just because there are people md-ing at the beach does not mean they have the tools or knowledge.
by the way that ratshack detector, i planted a quarter in the wet sand and never found it.

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Bobbie said:
There are plenty of lurkers who read these forums and never post. When some idiot makes a posting that there is plenty of gold and jewels being lost on a particular beach you had better bet that there will be plenty of hunters there the next day. The lurker wants the easy way out.
Bobbie....I think you might be missing my point.....I'm not saying that we should start advertising the beaches that we hunt if we are finding success there....I'm simply pointing out that CWB is the most popular beach in the area and alot of detectorists come down on vacation with the expressed purpose to hunt that beach and do well....and don't get me wrong.....the chances are there that you will dig something great there on any given day (people do it there all the time). I'm simply pointing out that alot of folks get out there with blinders on so to speak.....they fail to realize some of the other great spots and beaches (lesser known) that I know from personal experience that the locals score at on a regular basis.....So without that essential plan B they tend to spend there time pounding the popular afforementioned beach.....I guess all I can say is....let em have at it....stay there and run with the herd....maybe you'll find some gold....chances are....it'll be more difficult....in the mean time....I've got this nice spot up in St. Pete....oh.well never mind ;D

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
True there are a bunch of metal detector beach /water hunters on CWB, but as we all know there is always more there. We can't cover every square inch of CWB with 20 detectorist in the water or 50 on the beach, something will be missed. Either by chance, detector choice, improper detector settings, detector skills. I do believe CWB is cleaner that many of the other beaches. I was at CWB this last Saturday morning, yes there were people in the water, and on the sand. It was low tide, so I went out as far as I could. Guess what SCORE for me, I'm 6"1' and, I pulled out a copper bracelet, silver pledge ring, silver ear ring with CZ, mans 14K gold wedding band, pocket knife, a nice collection of sea shells and a bunch of change, oh yes the usual assortment of JUNK. Bascally I covered an area where others couldn't reach due to tides, height, equipment, or heck they didn't think much would be lost that far out, so they just didn't search that area. Oh I did run into an 8 foot ray out there, I saw a really big dark oval moving slowly toward me, I just stood still and watched as it passed to my right with part of it's side touching my foot and leg. That was a first for me, I'm use to seeing the smaller ones move out of my way when I'm moving my coil across the bottom. This is like the third time I hunted this beach this year. There are just so many beaches to detect and people are loosing things at all of them. Let's see this weekend hmmm Treasure Island, Siesta key, Honeymoon Island, St Pete man there is so many to choose from and so little time to detect ALL of THEM!!! :blob8:

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Surfdigger said:
Bobbie said:
Bobbie....I think you might be missing my point.....I'm not saying that we should start advertising the beaches that we hunt if we are finding success there....I'm simply pointing out that CWB is the most popular beach in the area and alot of detectorists come down on vacation with the expressed purpose to hunt that beach and do well....and don't get me wrong.....the chances are there that you will dig something great there on any given day (people do it there all the time). I'm simply pointing out that alot of folks get out there with blinders on so to speak.....they fail to realize some of the other great spots and beaches (lesser known) that I know from personal experience that the locals score at on a regular basis.....So without that essential plan B they tend to spend there time pounding the popular afforementioned beach.....I guess all I can say is....let em have at it....stay there and run with the herd....maybe you'll find some gold....chances are....it'll be more difficult....in the mean time....I've got this nice spot up in St. Pete....oh.well never mind ;D

Just one other point Bobbie.....How I feel about lurkers that have to wait till someone inadvertantly reveals a hotspot on a beach hunting forum to get out there and exploit it?? Oh yeah....they must be real avid and experienced beach hunters :laughing7: These are the folks that get out there, hunt for a day....usually aren't real thorough and usually have real short attention spans and are notoriously short on patience....I call them skimmers.....we see them out here at the Jersey shore in droves after a big Nor'easter blows through....they are usually out for the first day....maybe two and then throw in the towel saying that they expected to find alot more than they did....I've seen em come and go over the years....Me?.....I just keep my steady pace and I do just fine thanks....Thank God for the skimmers !! :laughing7: :laughing7:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree with some of the posts above. Yes, I'll go to the beach and find 7-10 detectorists already there. I might get depressed until I see their search patterns. Very haphazard in most cases.

Even with 10 detectorists out there, they're probably covering about 15% of the actual beach.

Don't let that throw you. Every beach is a hot beach, you just have be in the right spot.

Keep at it. Success will come. That's what I keep on telling myself. :)

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
My personal thought is that if you need a plan, you need to do the research and invest the hours trying to be thorough.
But the bottom line is, you ultimately have to be lucky enough to swing across the right spot at the right time.

HH All

Burning Metal

Dec 6, 2008
Tampa Bay area Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I go to Lido Beach in Sarasota quite a bit, don't care who knows about "my spot". I figure there's plenty of room for everyone :) One guy I saw there this past Saturday looked like a rocket going down the beach, went in a perfectly straight line almost running...it was pretty funny actually.

Bobbie

Nov 7, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not misinterpet anyone's point, just stating a fact that happens up here in the Northeast. We do not have the luxury of hotels on our beaches here in CT. Finding gold is at a premium here especially now with the high prices, people have either sold theirs to pay bills or just don't wear it to the beach. When I see another hunter, I make a point of trying to talk to them and in conversation I find out that they get their info from the forums. These are experienced hunters who have been hunting for a long time......using the big guns like Excals with big coils. Because of this, I have quit positing most of my finds. I am just one of a few lady water hunters and I was very easily recognized as finding gold on certain beaches. If I made a posting then the very next day there would be 5 or 6 guys out in the water looking for more gold. Certainly I am not speaking of the dry sanders here, those are mostly pigeons milling about looking for some goodies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Even with 10 detectorists out there, they're probably covering about 15% of the actual beach.

Don't let that throw you. Every beach is a hot beach, you just have be in the right spot.

Keep at it. Success will come. That's what I keep on telling myself. :)

I highly doubt they are efficently covering even 10 percent of the beach.

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a big beach and every day it changes. :duckie:

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Bobbie said:

The Grass is always green on the other side of the tracks....In this case the sand is.
Just some points to make.
Some folks wish to keep the beaches all to themselves, but its never gonna happen.
Sorry to say, but you sound like one of those disgruntled hunters who does this more as a job, than a lucrative hobby.
Get ready, the snowbirds are just around the corner. It is a big beach, but tourism is way down and schools in session. If its too crowded with other detectors there always room down the beach.

Bobbie

Nov 7, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FL is one big beach....sand and water is at a premium here in CT with 100 miles of coastline and only 5 miles open to the public during the summer months. We can hunt most of the coastline after Labor day and up to Memorial day but that only gives us a couple of weeks in the water unless you use a wet suit, and it does get very choppy making it difficult digging. In the spring, the waters are only 40 degrees........a bit cold for water hunting.

WHAT I AM SAYING IS..........if you do the research to hunt a spot, don't advertise it and expect not to find 8 or 10 guys there the next day. Do you show photos of exactly where you hunt? My time to hunt is at a premium since I work full time and I have taken a lesson learned from posting in the past. I have been at this for 12 years so I speak from much experience.

You FL guys will have to move over because I am moving down there.........but I will not show and tell!

gold-digger said:
Bobbie said:

The Grass is always green on the other side of the tracks....In this case the sand is.
Just some points to make.
Some folks wish to keep the beaches all to themselves, but its never gonna happen.
Sorry to say, but you sound like one of those disgruntled hunters who does this more as a job, than a lucrative hobby.
Get ready, the snowbirds are just around the corner. It is a big beach, but tourism is way down and schools in session. If its too crowded with other detectors there always room down the beach.

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Bobbie said:
FL is one big beach....sand and water is at a premium here in CT with 100 miles of coastline and only 5 miles open to the public during the summer months. We can hunt most of the coastline after Labor day and up to Memorial day but that only gives us a couple of weeks in the water unless you use a wet suit, and it does get very choppy making it difficult digging. In the spring, the waters are only 40 degrees........a bit cold for water hunting.

WHAT I AM SAYING IS..........if you do the research to hunt a spot, don't advertise it and expect not to find 8 or 10 guys there the next day. Do you show photos of exactly where you hunt? My time to hunt is at a premium since I work full time and I have taken a lesson learned from posting in the past. I have been at this for 12 years so I speak from much experience.

You FL guys will have to move over because I am moving down there.........but I will not show and tell!

Hi Bobbie....you have seen my videos....I show the beaches that I hunt in the videos....I don't give the town or the exact street where I am....I occasionally show a landmark or two (that can't be avoided)....The hunters that recognize the area that I am hunting....well....if they recognize the spot then I figure that they have already been there and it's not a big secret anyway.....Our biggest problem up here is from factors that are out of our control....Beach replenishment is one of them....the other is the downturn in the economy and the sparse crowds coming to our beaches in some areas.....for me....blaming it on the competition is what I consider a cop out.....I say that based on the points that I made in my previous posts here so I won't repeat myself....at the Jersey shore we have some great beaches and most of them are public....and compared to the vast beaches and crowds that come to them....the relative handful of folks that detect them is miniscule in comparison....so worry about the Competition?? For me.....in my area.....not even a concern....JMHO....Surfdigger

The Jersey Shore Beach and Surf Hunters

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=54483518009&ref=mf

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my two cents, I lurked for at least six months! Maybe because I was a newbie and had nothing to contribute or I just wanted to become a better THer!!! Reading posts and seeing stuff helped tremendously and inspired me!!! Early on I met a couple on my favorite sacrate beach (ha! ha! ha!). Well he said to me something I'll never forget "there is enough treasure on this beach you could fill an eighteen wheeler"! The point is you can't get it all, just get your share. By the way they were from Conn. and traveled all around the N. East were the coastline is loaded with public beaches! Paranoia big destroyer! :laughing7: Hope you all have the best of luck with your digging endeavors!!!!!!!!!

JMW

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 (10.5" coil), DetectorPro Headhunter PI (8", 11" coils), Tesoro Stingray (8" coil), Ace 250 (4.5" Sniper, 6.5" x 9" coils) and White's Classic ID (8" coil)
Primary Interest:
My sentiments exactly. There's just way too much treasure out there. It would take an army to clean it all out, and that would only be for the short term, conditions change producing new stuff all the time. We're blessed with our location up here in NE, so many beaches, so little time. We all have our favorite beaches but should those stop producing for a while, I just move on to the next. As far as running into other hunters, I think it's great. Love talking with others that enjoy the hobby. As a rule most are friendly, it's uncommon to find one that's not, but they are out there.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt in Volusia county, and I tell ya 1k worth of people couldn't get it all. I saw a guy with a big MD cart thing with am Excall for pinpointing and I still find good stuff where he went over a week or 2 ago... :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions