Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:coffee2:
about a hand made scoop, why?
the second most important piece of equipment you use is the scoop. why buy a good detector and not have a great scoop?

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
sorry, the size of hole should be a little smaller than a dime.

OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
urdaboss said:
the second most important piece of equipment you use is the scoop. why buy a good detector and not have a great scoop?

urdaboss said:
sorry, the size of hole should be a little smaller than a dime.

Thanks...As for why...I don't really do much beach hunting...Most of the time it's during the winter when everything else is frozen or I just want to spend some time down by the water...I've actually never even used a scoop, just my regular digging shovel...Anything I come up with will be better than using that...and I like tinkering around ...

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No bigger or small than 3/8'' HH Ron Lord

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that if not going in the water the screen sifter type works better for fast sifting of dry sand, works pretty well in the wet too. The smaller one in the pic is about $40.00 but I like the longer handled one for not having to bend over and it goes deeper.

If always going in the wet surf you would do well to get a larger basket with lots of holes for fast sifting and strength an a long handle.

Attachments

• RTG Beachmaster.jpg
    RTG Beachmaster.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 738
  • Buccaneer Sand scoop.jpg
    Buccaneer Sand scoop.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 745
  • RTG Beachmaster.jpg
    RTG Beachmaster.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 742

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's mine. $8.99 pet food scoop (True Value) I put a handle on it but you could use it as a hand scoop. Has held up extremely well. It's galvanized and easy to drill :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• scoop10.jpg
    scoop10.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 756
  • scoop8.jpg
    scoop8.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 698
  • scoop3.jpg
    scoop3.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 696
  • scoop10.jpg
    scoop10.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 699
  • scoop8.jpg
    scoop8.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 699
  • scoop3.jpg
    scoop3.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 704

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
urdaboss said:
Give it time! :dontknow:

OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
richm said:
Here's mine. $8.99 pet food scoop (True Value) I put a handle on it but you could use it as a hand scoop. Has held up extremely well. It's galvanized and easy to drill :icon_thumleft:

Nice job Rich :thumbsup: ....I may have to modify my plans.... ;D

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE WORK !!! My wife is on the way to get me one as I type this! I'm goin "Coastal" next week . Just have enough time to make one. You da man :icon_thumleft:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good scoop will hold its value just like a good detector. I bought the original Beach Brute used for $100, I used it for 2 years and sold it for $75.....Cost me $25 to use a great scoop for 2 years..........

D

digum smacks

youd better take advise from season pros. i dont care if you hunt the beach 5minutes a year.i say it and i will say it again you hunt with crap and you will find crap.period.unless you are a welder and weld stainless steel.go get yourself a real scoop.iam a master welder with aluminum.and made many a scoops iam here to tell ya ,if you hunt saltwater anyone who hunts regulary knows aluminum only holds up for so long.ive made some awesome scoops and they last 6months before i have to either modify it or make a new one.if you only hunt 5 minutes a year i guess you will own a good scoop forever than.you can baby your P.O.S and hope it lasts.thats my take been there done that more than 5 times

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
HaHa, Sometimes the truth hurts.
I hope no one complains that you are politically incorrect.

Been there, done that. (banned)

Ralph

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I agree with those that say to save your time, and just get a ready-made scoop.

I see people show up on the beach, thinking they can save money by making their own scoop, (or perhaps they didn't think they'd hit the beach often enough merit spending $, etc...). They show up with the silliest things: a coffee can with holes drilled in it, an ice-machine scoop they attempted to attach to a pole, with few holes on it, etc... They end up realizing that they're better off just to bring a garden or army shovel, dig out the spoils, then just rake out the target with your fingers (like you would do on land, but of course, easier because it's sand).

And I say this as someone who has un-limited access to metal fabrication and welding (as the company I own has a full industrial mechanical shop, a mechanic, etc... that I can have fiddle or invent for me, if I want). The fact is, the ready-made ones (like what Sandman shows), you can't do it for cheaper, even if you tried. They are mass-made, and thus, the unit cost comes down enough, that by the time you put in a few hours (assuming you had all the metal fab equipment to begin with) you'd be asking yourself why you just didn't buy it.

If you truly aren't going to go more than few times per year, then just take a regular shovel. When you get your target out of the hole, just kick the tailings flat with your foot, and you'll do ok.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
I must say this tho, I commend you Copperhead for trying to be in a sense, self sufficient.

I myself am a tinkerer. I also understand what self satisfaction there is in making things.

Ralph

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
i was clearwater beach when i saw a guy break his scoop lifting something.
i said "man that was a big ring you were lifting!"
he looked at me and whispered "i can't weld!"
buy a good scoop!

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
:hello: RichM: That is exactly the way my first scoop was made from a grain scoop only I used 3/3" EMT shaped like a bowtie and bolted to the handle and back of the scoop. Used it for 8 years until I bought a Beach Brute and gave the old one to a poor TH'er who didn't have enough to buy a good scoop. Way to go. :icon_thumleft: :coffee2:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Granted not everyone has the money after taking out a second mortage on the house trailer to buy a Sunspot after buying a good detector. We have to make do till we can afford the good stuff. Once you start using good equipment your time is better spent hunting and not wasted babying a weak scoop. Heaven knows I waste enough time staring at the waves. :coffee2:

OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
snooksion2 said:
youd better take advise from season pros. i dont care if you hunt the beach 5minutes a year.i say it and i will say it again you hunt with crap and you will find crap.period.unless you are a welder and weld stainless steel.go get yourself a real scoop.iam a master welder with aluminum.and made many a scoops iam here to tell ya ,if you hunt saltwater anyone who hunts regulary knows aluminum only holds up for so long.ive made some awesome scoops and they last 6months before i have to either modify it or make a new one.if you only hunt 5 minutes a year i guess you will own a good scoop forever than.you can baby your P.O.S and hope it lasts.thats my take been there done that more than 5 times

Wow..tough room… :wink: I don’t mind folks asking questions or offering opinions…Anyone who takes the time to reply is obviously only trying to be helpful….Maybe you’re totally correct about how long something I build is gonna last…and yeah…I can afford to go out and just buy a damn scoop…But maybe I don’t WANT to buy one…

I’m not a hard-core hunter…I probably send more time watching the waves and taking pictures when I’m at the beach than metal detecting…I own an Ace 250…which from what I’ve read..is probably one of the worst detectors for beach hunting…Despite that..it performs pretty well in my area…even in wet sand…I find enough stuff for it to satisfy my "treasure fix"…

Now I’m sure someone will tell me I’m wasting my time using an Ace at the beach….I’m only gonna find crap… and should just go out and buy a decent detector for the beach…So before they do… let me say…I don’t WANT to go buy a decent beach machine…The only thing I do WANT…is to go out and enjoy myself…Which believe it or not…..I manage to do…beach scoop or no beach scoop….

If I ever desire to become a more serious, proficient beach hunter…This is the first place I’d come to ask for advice…At the present time…my only question was as to what size holes I should drill in my POS homemade scoop….I think a couple of folks gave me my answer…If it breaks the first time I use it…it’s no big deal….too me anyway…

I assume you and others have only good intentions in posting a reply….but try to understand that not everyone has the same passions in life as you might….. and sometimes a lecture isn’t always necessary…It’s all good though…. :thumbsup: Thanks for all your thoughts…I’ve got to get back to making my scoop… :tongue3: ;D

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drilled mine 1/2" and it works great...Rich.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread