Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the beach at daylight, just at the end of an outgoing tide.... Rather than hunt the way I usually do, which is to just pick a line and walk it until I start hitting targets, I walked to the high side of the beach and looked at the water. About 200 yds down the beach, I clearly saw a "hole" that had a high sandbar between it and the shoreline.. "Sand moved" I asked myself... Looked good to me, so I entered the water at the closest end..
Hadnt gone ten feet, and hit a nice low tone right at the beginning of the outer sandbar... One scoop, and there was the gold.. What a way to start the morning!!
Continued on, working back and forth, and never made it more than a couple feet without hitting a signal.. Plenty of older, dark coins. After cleaning back at home, many turned out to be from the late 60's to mid 70's.. Most probably not lost back then, but more than likely they were buried for a while...
Nearly every target I dug in that area came up with the first scoop, although the hardpan was still a good 2 1/2 ft down in the sand..
By noon, the beach was packed with people, as was the water... It always slows me down when the water is full of people, whether due to zig zagging around them or having them stop me to ask what I was doing.
Finally, by 3pm, I was toast.. I knew better than to hunt that long, but when you have a spot continuously producing, it is hard to stop.
Found one ring that has a beautiful purple (what kind of stone is that?), that looks very retro at the least, to maybe an old one.
Sterling, and quite ornate. I am in the progress of cleaning it up, really pretty. I will have to post pics when I am done with it. Found what has got to be the biggest, gawdiest, ring ever... Wish it was silver, but I am quite sure it is steel... Heavy, unbelievably heavy.. I thought Snooksion had the honor of the biggest, ugliest ring, but I have him beat..
Another ring, nearly gave me a heart attack... Silver, not tarnished at all, with a huge "diamond" in it. "Finally, my platinum score"... Banner ring for sure I thought!
Alas, it is stamped .925 and most likely, not diamonds.. But will still have them checked out, you never know... The big stone is over 2 carats I am sure..
Found my wife a really cool hair clip.. Metal, clean, and covered with fake diamonds.. Really pretty... Found a pendant that is "the Ten Commandments" on the front, then when you slide the front half away, the inside half of the pendant has all ten commandments written. Really cool.. Looks like sterling, but havent tested it yet.. The gold ring is 6.2 gm of 14k..
Havent counted the clad yet (I am WHOOPED), but probably in the $5 range..
Very nice day on the water, the weather couldnt have been any better.. Pretty flat too... Enjoy the pic's folks..

Attachments

• 10-02-10 finds trash.jpg
    10-02-10 finds trash.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 855
  • 10-02-10 finds a.jpg
    10-02-10 finds a.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 867
  • 10-02-10 finds b.jpg
    10-02-10 finds b.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 847
  • 10-02-10 finds pendant.jpg
    10-02-10 finds pendant.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 852
  • 10-02-10 finds ring 2.jpg
    10-02-10 finds ring 2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 844
  • 10-02-10 finds ring 3.jpg
    10-02-10 finds ring 3.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 843
  • 10-02-10 finds ring 2b.jpg
    10-02-10 finds ring 2b.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 832
  • 10-02-10 finds ring 4.jpg
    10-02-10 finds ring 4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 842
  • 10-02-10 finds ring 1.jpg
    10-02-10 finds ring 1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 832
Upvote 0

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Nice haul,well done.Purple stone's probably an Amethyst. :thumbsup:

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs for sure :icon_salut: Congrats on the precious metals! You definately found yourself one of the most hideous rings ever. I'm surprised you didn't throw it back. But "a ring is a ring." I'd keep it too. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a couple pic's of the medallion after I attached it to a necklace a friend made for me many years ago... Now wearing it, I really like it's unusual design..

Attachments

• 10-02-10 Finds medallion 2.jpg
    10-02-10 Finds medallion 2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 758
  • 10-02-10 finds medallion 3.jpg
    10-02-10 finds medallion 3.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 758

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That has got to be, without question, the UGLIEST ring I have ever seen! Bravo!!! :icon_thumleft: :notworthy:

That entire great story and you never said which detector you were using!

Well?? ;D

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.excellent haul for a days work..

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holes - don't we just lovem

u had a great spin..........lots of targets and tickets

i likem

good luck next spin

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
That has got to be, without question, the UGLIEST ring I have ever seen! Bravo!!! :icon_thumleft: :notworthy:

Well?? ;D
Ahh.... Damn Excal.... But I want to hit it with the PI also... Maybe mid-week..

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
the 11 commandment,yield shield not be proven wrong unless one as an PI user does not covent to the lesser evil :laughing7: :wink: HH

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finnds!!! except the ugly ring!!!! LOL :laughing9: I have been looking for the ugliest finds banner but could not find it!!!! That one would be in the top 10!!!!! Chug

cowboykelly

Dec 10, 2007
Lubbock
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Nice finds! You out-dug me! Spent all day out of boca and only came up with 6 quarters and some pennies :icon_scratch: I'm still learning on all this 'in the water at a saltwater beach' stuff.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ,awesome haul!! Thats one big ugly ring, 8)

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds !!! Lots of bottle caps, must be some heavy drinkers down your way :laughing9:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Surfer said:
Smudge said:

Well?? ;D
Ahh.... Damn Excal.... But I want to hit it with the PI also... Maybe mid-week..

I ask because I'm shopping for a new beach detector. Seems like you're using the Excal more and the Dual Field less.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only due to lazyness, plain and simple... the multi-tones.... I have no doubt i would have found as much or more with the PI, but would have had to dig more for sure... but i am going to use it next time i go there...

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
HEY! thats my key!!
just keydding!
great finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread