I know this has been beaten to death but...

Chibuya

Dec 8, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter, Tesoro Vaquero
I finally have a bit of extra cash to purchase a water machine. I was thinking about it a couple of years ago but life got in the way. After selling my Garret 250 last year, this new one will be my third machine.

So, I know this topic comes up a lot but I need some advice as to what machine to get. Reading past posts on new detector advice, it seems the Minelab is the main machine advised. Would love to have one but the price is out of my range. I can't seem to even find one used. Are there any other reccomendations?

This is what I'm hoping for.

Price Range: < = 600.00

Area: Los Angeles CA. Beach. Salt water, wet sand, dry sand, would like to use in fresh water as well as parks. (I know, I'm asking for too much). I could wait and get a additional land machine but would rather not.

Not sure if I want a PI or VLF. I'm leaning towards the VLF but seems they are more expensive. I don't want to dig everything especially in our junky Los Angeles oceans.

Hope I provided enough info.

Thanks,
Stacey

Upvote 0

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
ThTx said:
erikk said:
lidigger said:
Just found out that Minelab went through a change of ownership and that they will no longer repair older Excaliburs. I was told to wait about 6 months before getting a new one if I choose to go in this direction, since their new ones seem to be buggy. In the meantime I am still going to continue researching underwater detectors to find the right one, because I will not be able to invest in another.
Yes a new owner but they will repair older excals. I just had my Blue headphone ones repaired. Figure on about 6 weeks (a little prayer won't hurt there) but they will fix them As for the 2's some are good some are not-jump ball there but IMHO still the best all around water detector

6 Weeks for a repair? I'll stick with Green machines.
You do that due to your extensive experience with water machines FYI I went through 4 infinium LS machines till I got a good one. Granted it didn't take 6 weeks per unit but overall time was far greater. The service was superb however and the problems were eventually taken care

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:
ThTx said:
erikk said:
lidigger said:
Just found out that Minelab went through a change of ownership and that they will no longer repair older Excaliburs. I was told to wait about 6 months before getting a new one if I choose to go in this direction, since their new ones seem to be buggy. In the meantime I am still going to continue researching underwater detectors to find the right one, because I will not be able to invest in another.
Yes a new owner but they will repair older excals. I just had my Blue headphone ones repaired. Figure on about 6 weeks (a little prayer won't hurt there) but they will fix them As for the 2's some are good some are not-jump ball there but IMHO still the best all around water detector

You do that due to your extensive experience with water machines FYI I went through 4 infinium LS machines till I got a good one. Granted it didn't take 6 weeks per unit but overall time was far greater. The service was superb however and the problems were eventually taken care

Actually I have had some experience with water machines. Unfortunately the doctor says I can't dive any longer so I sold my last one, an Infinium to POPPA. I just happen to like American made and good service. I don't understand why that would irritate you.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
ThTx said:
erikk said:
ThTx said:
erikk said:
lidigger said:

Actually I have had some experience with water machines. Unfortunately the doctor says I can't dive any longer so I sold my last one, an Infinium to POPPA. I just happen to like American made and good service. I don't understand why that would irritate you.
Doesn't I have a LS & a SH MK2 (both great specialty machines) & don't need to dive to use them (although I am certified SCUBA) I like American made 2 ,good service is a plus but it is results that count at the bottom line. I am quite sure that every part on any detector available is not all made in USA

Dknight34

Greenie
Jan 4, 2008
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro LST & SS
Chibuyo, if you purchased the sand shark, I am sure you will enjoy it. I love the heck out of mine! It works great in the black sand, did not cost too much, and you do learn to discriminate the sounds. True, you will dig a lot of lead weights, but if you get that big hit and dig 2 or 3 scoops and no recovery, then you can bet its lead or big piece of iron. Of coarse, I still tend to dig everything (im a sucker!).

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
Chibuya;

I have a Sovereign GT. I works great at the beach in the desert in parks anywhere I choose to use it. I also have an Explorer SE-Pro2 which "She Who Must be Obeyed" (the wife) uses. We also have a SD-2200v2. (for nugget shooting). It's a P.I. Detector. You use one of them on the beach you might dig several feet for a pull tab or beer can. All of our detectors work great near the wet sand. I do not recommend using them in the water. If you want to use the detector in the water I recommend the Excalibur II.
Or any Excalibur for that matter I would recommend you read this before you buy any detector.http://www.goldprospectors.org/newforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2314, it will give you a lot of information on the difference in metal detectors. Have cup of coffee and read the articles.

Good luck and I hope this helps you.

Pyriteboy

Feb 4, 2009
Stacey, perhaps I am late adding to your post, but again maybe not.......get a pulse for the wet/water areas here in LaLaLand......Sandshark will do the job for this, and as you have figured out the price is right.......you will suffer with the Sandshark on dry sand a bit, because of the coil size limitations.......the Whites Dual Field would be a better overall water/wet sand/dry sand detector because of the 12" Dual Field coil, but you would have to buy a used one to fit with your price range......other option is an Excal with aftermarket straight shaft for better balance/fatigue factor but you are limited to the 10" Tornado coil, which will hurt you like the Sandshark with coverage in the dry........the mineralization on some of the beaches will limit Excal depth to a large extent, so in these situations you will be out-gunned by any PI.........Infinium would be a great idea, with the 10x14 or 8 mono coils, but electrical interference kills the dream Charles Garrett had for this machine.......get a PI, find some stuff this winter, sell your stuff, and then get a second detector for dry sand/parks......good luck, Jerry

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pyriteboy : With the INFINIUM you can now tune out electrical intererance.I own an Infinium and have no problem with alarm system and or electric cables. HH Ron Lord

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:
Figure on about 6 weeks (a little prayer won't hurt there)
Thanks a bunch for the soda snort out of my nose...... Yeah, six weeks, yeah, thats the ticket! LOL...
Six weeks my ass... More like 3 months..

Pyriteboy

Feb 4, 2009
Ron, been keeping tabs of you and your finds with the Infinium; it does not surprise me at all, 'cause in the right environment that machine is a killer......you are certainly right about being able to tune out a lot of the electrical interference due to alarms, powerlines and the like, but I should have added in my post that the air traffic from LAX is murder on the Infinium as well, affecting performance much more than other PI's I have used (Whites Surf PI, Minelab GP 3000 & GPX 4000, Goldquest Aquasearch V.2, Whites TDI).....problem for me was I could deal with the noise well enough during the day but at night when the commercial planes were not flying the machine was outstanding......the difference was to much, so it had to go........I still miss the damn thing, and if Garrett ever figures out it wants to sell lots-and-lots of Pulse detectors, they need to re-design the Infinium with better shielding, more coil choices, and a slightly lower pulse delay.......re: TDI.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread