Anyone hear about the new Garrett ATpro?

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even though it is not out yet I've heard some good things about the Garrett ATpro. First submergable digital display detector. You can go up to 10 feet down so good for shallow water hunting. I assume it is best in fresh water and dry sand. I know the Ace line goes crazy in wet salt water sand.

If anyone buys one I would love to hear about the machine from someone that is not a dealer. Thinking about getting it as a lake machine.
NJ

Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can't get much feedback yet because the detector doesn't get released until November.

I doubt Garrett would make a bunch of claims it can't substantiate, and I'm sure it will be functional in fresh water as well as salt, but the amount of depth you will likely get in salt water is going to be the big question.

We'll see what the end result is after some folks start using it, and you won't have to wait long for reviews, thats for sure. :icon_pirat:

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made several inquiries and I was informed that it does not have a salt mode. It will work great in fresh water and other places. I also asked about the buoyancy , no luck there.

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
Some have contacted Garrett and received replies about salt use.

This is what I can gather so far from reading and memory, Garrett said that while not primarily a salt-water detector,
because of the new DD coil and the manual ground balance it did fine in salt.

Another question that was asked was about lost depth because of salt. Garrett replied that they didn't notice
a loss of performance under those conditions.

This is to be seen? I would believe that it would work ok in salt (maybe not great) but be killer in rivers and lakes.....etc!

Now if it does ok in the wet salt sand, killer on the dry and fresh water, at that price point it would be fine to add one to my collection.
Or for that matter, would still be plenty of detector for the money as an all around machine!

The iron blanking ability I saw on the video along with fast recovery would be a very nice feature to have!

I think I want one but time will tell :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smudge said:
You can't get much feedback yet because the detector doesn't get released until November.

I doubt Garrett would make a bunch of claims it can't substantiate, and I'm sure it will be functional in fresh water as well as salt, but the amount of depth you will likely get in salt water is going to be the big question.

We'll see what the end result is after some folks start using it, and you won't have to wait long for reviews, thats for sure. :icon_pirat:

Thanks...I know we have some testers on the site and thought maybe someone had an advance model to test.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Les West Central Fl said:
I made several inquiries and I was informed that it does not have a salt mode. It will work great in fresh water and other places. I also asked about the buoyancy , no luck there.

I'm not too concerned about the salt water since I have a machine I use for that. More curious about its fresh water capabilities.

Thanks
NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Indasurf said:
Some have contacted Garrett and received replies about salt use.

This is what I can gather so far from reading and memory, Garrett said that while not primarily a salt-water detector,
because of the new DD coil and the manual ground balance it did fine in salt.

Another question that was asked was about lost depth because of salt. Garrett replied that they didn't notice
a loss of performance under those conditions.

This is to be seen? I would believe that it would work ok in salt (maybe not great) but be killer in rivers and lakes.....etc!

Now if it does ok in the wet salt sand, killer on the dry and fresh water, at that price point it would be fine to add one to my collection.
Or for that matter, would still be plenty of detector for the money as an all around machine!

The iron blanking ability I saw on the video along with fast recovery would be a very nice feature to have!

I think I want one but time will tell :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for the input...I'm also thinking about adding it to the collection.
NJ

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The older AT3 and AT4 were decent water machines.
Very happy to see Garrett continue on with that line.

I am more concerned about the unit staying water tight wading in chest deep water.
If they are ... then they will be as big of a hit as the 250 was (and still is).

The quality of the coil is what catches my attention.
Large enough to cover a lot of sand on the beach but still sensitive to small gold earrings.
Looks like the field proven technology of the Infinium coil was incorporated into the AT Pro.

Cant wait to try one.

D

digum smacks

i dont recall,has anyone found out the weight on this machine?

Wayne P

Mar 28, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Blisstool and Fisher F 75 SE
total weight 3.03# In the sales speel, Vaugh Garrett states it is good for shallow surf but there is no mention of a salt switchover.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread