S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S.W. Fla T-Givin' Hunt

Wife and i took my mom down to Punta Gorda for the holidays...so the wife gets off work, packed and leave Tuesday around 5 pm. I knew traffic thru Orlando would be a beast to say the least... So 18 miles and 1 hour later the wife says... ship, I left the cookies I made in the kitchen, she has been baking for the last month, but she said don't turn around. 5 minutes later she informs me she forgot the power cord for the tv we were bring her parents... you guessed it, another hour back home... any way we made it... so Wednesday we head up to the supermarket for some stuff they need. Right outta the bat she finds a charm on the ground where we parked... I said today would be a good day for huntin. So at the check out I check out the coin star machine, 1968 Canadian quarter (.50 silver) and a Bahamian quarter... not i know today would be a stellar day. Off to Englewood Beach at low tide, I was surprised at how many people were out, but it was 87 and sunny, so I don't blame them... all i found was the big ole skunk. So I just sat around Thursday got fat and drank many Barley Pops with family so all was good. Friday I said I'm going somewhere else... decided on Sharkys at Venice Beach, same result as the day before... But, I did have one interesting find... a 41 wheat 2 inches deep in the middle of the beach. Wheaties are always a welcome find, but this one is either a error coin, or someone purposely did it. can ya see it?
026.jpg

A first for me for sure,I don't know why its like that... but if ya know tell me please. Since it was so slow, I went back to E-wood since there were some waves I thought I might find something since there was a lil stirring going on. Ended up with 3 rings, all junk!!! :dontknow: Went home and decided I would go to Ft Myers the next day, since I wanted to go to bass pro since her dad works there and I needed some new wading boots, and since he gets a discount I had a plan. Well I didn't make it ( he did bring me back 2 pairs) and I went back to E-wood figuring maybe some sand shifted, it did right in the water so after an hour with out a whisper from the DF, I started working the wet sand. It was nice being able to hunt the water in shorts at Thanksgiving... benifit of living in Fla... skunk again! So I took a ride a few miles to Blind Pass which never produces but wanted different sights so off I went. They have a big spheal on a sigh, no smoking beach, no glass etc. All I found was twist offs, and butts. I smoke but put mine in my pocket when done. No finds good except for the 41 wheatie with the defect. Drove back home. Sure thought i would pull a lil bling but it was not to be. Might head to the condo this weekend and pound the east coast... it has always treated me good.

Upvote 0

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Re: S.W. Fla T-Givin' Hunt

I can't see any scrape marks where the AM might of been removed. That certainly is interesting. Let us know what you find out, never seen one like that before. HH

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is one error (?) coin that will keep you guessing.
Congrats on an interesting find SS. Hope someone can
shed some light on this find for you. Gold Nuggets :hello:

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe

Yeah, this is an error, but not one that brings big money. It what's called a 'filled die' error ~ it could be grease from the machine, or dirt/debris that found it's way onto the die ~ then when the coins are being struck the die design won't impress into the coin correctly, leaving a unstruck 'void' area.

This is one of those things that's almost more along the line of a product of bad minting and less of an error coin.

There are some very dramatic filled die errors that are so bad that there's almost no coin design impressed into the coin ~ those can bring a premium, but these minor filled die errors don't bring much of a premium over their 'regular' numismatic value.

Take care!
Neil

http://community-2.webtv.net/oddcoins/NeilMcElroyspagefor

OP
OP
S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I guess I need to find aan Erica that collects coins...

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Always good to come home with something, the few times I've found wheatie's at the beach the come up clean...zinc come out looking ruff..A unique find.........joe

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I could be totally wrong but my guess is that some guy had a girlfriend name Erica and he made it for her as a joke. It could have eventually made its way back into circulation which over time could have removed any scratch marks around the 'AM'. Still, pretty cool find!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Man, I feel your pain. I thought just the Central Florida beaches weren't producing. I've been skunked all summer.

Looks like I need to re-evaluate my technique. Wait...I have a technique?? ;D

It's enough to make a beachcomber start searching the land again. :o

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

While at Ft. Myers beach, did you found a pouch full of our famous "can slaw"? Word has it, there are going to dredge the beach AGAIN after the first of the year. That will be the 3rd time in 5 years.

Chuck in Cape Coral

OP
OP
S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why would they dredge? plenty of width... can slaw just ain't a west coast thing... :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread