questions about garrett AT Pro

jjg70

Dec 12, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250. Garrett AT Pro
I'm looking for some advice on the new Garrett AT pro, im normally a land hunter with my Ace 250, but going to florida to search dry and wet sand on beaches and wondering what everyone thought about the Garrett AT Pro being used, I dont want a dedicated water detector, thought this might be good for land or wet sand.
Thanks for your help

Upvote 0

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wait for the bugs to get worked out

just my opinion

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check in Tnet forum brands, Garrett, there are some post on the AT Pro :read2:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. :hello:

According to Max of VA, his AT Pro handled the wet sand where he is at fine. Some beaches that might have more black sand could make it a might unstable but Fl. should be fine. You can always lower the sens some too. Either way it should be fine in the dry sand.

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just received a Garrett AT Pro a few days ago. I took it out to dry land places where I thought I have hunted out everthing of value, but, it was like I was never there before. Much deeper than the Ace 250 would go (I hate digging too) and was more responsive. I can't wait to get it to the beach. I have had decent luck with the Ace 250 on the beach if I notch out foil and turn down the sensitivity a couple of notches. I feel the AT Pro will be a much deeper machine (I still hate digging). So far I feel that I have made a good choice. I will let you knw how it does as soon as the Canadians close the freezer door!

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patrol said:
Just received a Garrett AT Pro a few days ago. I took it out to dry land places where I thought I have hunted out everthing of value, but, it was like I was never there before. Much deeper than the Ace 250 would go (I hate digging too) and was more responsive. I can't wait to get it to the beach. I have had decent luck with the Ace 250 on the beach if I notch out foil and turn down the sensitivity a couple of notches. I feel the AT Pro will be a much deeper machine (I still hate digging). So far I feel that I have made a good choice. I will let you knw how it does as soon as the Canadians close the freezer door!
Why would you want to notch out foil?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not notch out anything on my Sovereign GT, nor do I descrimate out anything on my Sovereigns or Excals.....Too many gold rings will ring in the same as aluminum foil or trash, when hunting the beaches why descrminate or notch out anything when the potential for gold with diamonds is so high. Besides you can dig with a huge scoop....

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to a fella out on a Florida beach, gulf coast, couple of days ago, who was hunting the wet sand with his AT Pro and it was a nightmare for him. False signals galore. I've no personal experience with it, just what he said while there chasing ghost signals.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get false signals, adjust your ground balance, lower you sensitivity and/or hunt in the Standard mode. At least it works for mineralized soil. I plan on trying my AT at the Galveston beach after Christmas.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in va beach - salt water wet, water and damp

runs fine

sensitivity max or 1 bar less in two areas
ground balance to 12/13

PRO MODE ONLY............std. mode is usless here in salt water.......constant falsing

iron disc......set to 40 for me.....most might use 35..........tested gold hits right in with the foil range.....43 to 55 or so. i have tested many gold items............

does a great job on bottle cap i.d.........expecially with iron audio on........but only use it to check for iron or iron around a good target.........LOTS OF VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE ABOUT THE AT PRO.

really does a great job in the dirt and woods also.

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ACE 250 had problems with wet sand and lots of false signals in the foil range, hense I eliminated foil and turned down the sensitivity. The AT Pro on the other hand, was rock solid after the Gound Balancing with no need here in Daytona to reduce sensitivity. :headbang: I am beginning to love this machine. I pick up small items at deep ranges (8"-12") and I feel that in the water and on land I have a lot more capability with the AT Pro than with the ACE 250 and I loved the 250. No two beaches are the same but here in Daytona Beach the AT Pro runs great. I am really looking forward to the Speed Weeks and Spring Break.

I have had excellent response in the "STD" mode and only run in the "PRO" mode when things get a little dicey. Overall I would highly recommend the AT Pro. (I don't work for Garrett and no animals were hurt or injured during this test.) :icon_thumright:

Tom

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Piercesdad said:
wait for the bugs to get worked out

just my opinion

What bugs? Mine seems to work very well as it is.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
detectahead said:
Patrol said:
Why would you want to notch out foil?

shhhhhhh!!! let him do it. :tongue3: :laughing7: notch out everything but coins! :tongue3:

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't notch out a damn thing with the AT Pro. All I have to do is ground balance as shown in the video above and I am good to go on a East Coast Florida beach.. A very stable machine no matter what the conditions.

The ACE 250 had a problem with mineralized sand and it showed up as foil. I hit the "elim" button when it started to do that and only foil was eliminated. All else stayed the same. In the dry sand I ran full power and when the ACE 250 said foil, it was foil, and, only foil. Ask CrackBadger, he has hunted quite a bit with an ACE 250. It is a capable machine.

As capable as the ACE 250 was, the AT Pro is much more capable. I find it to do an excellent job in all the conditions I have given it so far. I am not done testing it, but so far I am loving it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patrol said:
I don't notch out a damn thing with the AT Pro. All I have to do is ground balance as shown in the video above and I am good to go on a East Coast Florida beach.. A very stable machine no matter what the conditions.

The ACE 250 had a problem with mineralized sand and it showed up as foil. I hit the "elim" button when it started to do that and only foil was eliminated. All else stayed the same. In the dry sand I ran full power and when the ACE 250 said foil, it was foil, and, only foil. Ask CrackBadger, he has hunted quite a bit with an ACE 250. It is a capable machine.

As capable as the ACE 250 was, the AT Pro is much more capable. I find it to do an excellent job in all the conditions I have given it so far. I am not done testing it, but so far I am loving it.

CB is THE MAN when it gomes to hunting salt beaches, I just talked to CB this morning on the phone......CB has used the ACE 250 on the salt beaches, made lots of really nice finds there with the ACE, although it is quite noisy when in the wet sand and shallow water.

It is not his detector of choice for water hunting, but if it is all you have he has proven you can hunt the salt beaches with it and be very successful.....

goldringer5

Mar 5, 2007
I just ordered the Garrett AT Pro. I'm heading to the Grand Cayman Island on the 15th. I have used my White DX down there on two other occasions with good results. I Post again when I return from the trip. I needed a lighter machine since I've just had neck surgery to remove parts of 4 vertebra, and I can't lift a lot, I hope this works out for me. I know my my white is heavier, plus the AT Pro knocks down to shorter pieces.

worthy

Dec 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro , whites pi , garrett ace 250, c-scope ib
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi, could anyone tell me if the atpro runs in silent mode as the ace 250 does, or can you hear the threshold ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread