Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a PI Pro, and all I read about PI machines is holding true. These things are made for the younger or more energetic person. They will detect everything and at amazing depths. Lots of digging, at least until you learn the machine (which hasn't happened to me yet) I have however found a couple of gold chains and lots of coins. No rings yet, just a matter of time I'm sure. The one thing you do want to invest in, and I can not empthasize this enough, buy a good long handled scoop. It will save alot of bending over. Good luck with your decision, and HH, BS

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use PI detectors,Sea Hunter mark 2,and the Infinium LS. I've been hunting for over 35 years and have used every kind of detector out there.With the PI detector you dig lots of trash but you also find gold that everyone else missing . I have dug gold rings as deep as 20" sum coins even deeper. :icon_sunny:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ron lord said:
I use PI detectors,Sea Hunter mark 2,and the Infinium LS. I've been hunting for over 35 years and have used every kind of detector out there.With the PI detector you dig lots of trash but you also find gold that everyone else missing . I have dug gold rings as deep as 20" sum coins even deeper. :icon_sunny:

The Pulse detectors are the king of depth, but I get tired from all that digging. I use a Excal, CZ-20, Tiger Shark and newest is a AT Pro which I am waiting for warmer weather before I get back in the water. A good scoop will increase your finds per hour. I have settled on the Sunspot Stealth.

Attachments

• Two Sunspots copy.jpg
    Two Sunspots copy.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 636
  • Two Sunspots copy.jpg
    Two Sunspots copy.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 643

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Excal II. Great depth, can id good targets from bad even in all metal, excellent detector HOWEVER, I purchased mine before the company changed hands and lots of people had quality and repair issues. So get a used one 2 or 3 years old would be my advise. Also have a Garrett Seahunter Mark II pi, excellent depth, but everything sounds the same so you will have to did alot of bottlecaps and trash but it will find tiny targets, which can be a double edged sword. If you have a beach that isn't terribly trashy or the signals are few and far between for off season or what not this would be a good choice. For a busy, summer season hunt you can't beat the Excal IN MY OPINION!!! Good luck with whatever you choose and truth is they will all find stuff, just put in the time to learn them then put in the time swinging them and you will find what you're looking for.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm kind of in love with Detectorpro at the moment.

Either the Wader or the Pulse, their PI unit.

The Pulse is like any other PI unit but is pretty hot on gold and is very lightweight (the controls are in the headphones), something water machines are not known for. Of course, it is a PI and all that goes with using a PI.

The Wader is the first single frequency VLF detector I can go from wet to dry sand without having to make adjustments to the sensitivity. While it doesn't have the same depth as an Excal or a PI, it goes plenty deep enough for me, is very lightweight (again, controls in the headphones) and I find myself coming home with just as many finds as when I use any other beach machine.

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's Beachhunter. Awesome machine. I use it in Hawaii and Cancun mostly. I made a killing with it in Isla Mujeras. Rings out the patoot on that island.

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Wader that I bought in Nov 2010 but don't get out much. For me its a great detector.

D

digum smacks

i use the excal2 .want a new aquasound.alot of money so i use second best

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I mainly use (when I do) a Whites Surfmaster PI Pro. Works good for me, has the diver coil which doesnt float, and of course you have to dig everything that beeps. No disc, but some things make a different sound, but that also could mean its shallow too. I have the control box on a belt on my waist. I have been behind others and found stuff, (gold rings, clad coins, keys) but I think they had some kind of discrim switched on. I have another Whites PI that was worked by Mr Bill, but it doesnt have the diver coil, and wants to float slightly, so I dont use it, But it works just as good. At the metal detector club I belonged to years ago, we all brought our detectors in. We checked all on all kinds of stuff. The one (at the time) that would pick up a thin gold chain best, was a Fisher PI. Les (Les West Coast FL) used a Sov Minelab with a big coil Wot, that was also hot on gold, but the top wasnt waterproof. He had a waterproof case I think. I think he went to an Excal since then. He was still hot on gold, but was out there every day. I do know many like the Excal. I'll stick with the PI, and dig it all. I dug a can once, and it was in a hole that was refilled, showing that it was dug and the jerk threw it back in, and after taking the Orange Crush can out, I detected another hit, and it was a diamond ring under where the can was. In virgin sand. So, it shows, to remove the trash, check your hole again, and maybe you will make out OK. I also use a Riellys Treasured Gold Scoop, from Pompano Beach, FL. Its an all stainless, heavy duty scoop.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tend to use the Deepstar most (only lasts 5 to 6 hours on a charge though the battery is bigger than many detectors. All the adjustments you need including adjustable SAT) followed by the Aquastar II (which is better than the TDI on small gold). 10 u/s so picks up small gold other machines don't.
Then another Eric Foster machine, the Beachscan modified up to Goldquest SS standard.
Then the Whites Dual Field. Don't like it due to the coil design. I can I.D. a lot of iron with all the above but not with the Whites.

Switching to twin or multifrequency types I have a Beach Hunter I.D. and Sovereign. Each has its uses where there's lots of iron but I stick to pulse if I can.

jiminsandiego

Greenie
Dec 18, 2010
Minelab gt with a 12x15 sef coil. Nulls out all the iron and I dig everything else. For mineralized sand some say it's the best. I can't imagine digging all the rusty nails from beach fires around here. The big coil covers a lot a real estate. My diamond head scoop works great in our mud, gravel, shell, cement they call wet sand. I also use a pro pointer to quickly find the invisible targets, like sand encrusted pennies and melted can slaw. For the wet sand in So Cal I think it would be very hard to beat this set up.
Jim

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Sovereign, Quattro and an MXT I can use on the sand. White's dual field for in the water.

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Me...I use everything. My friend cracks up when he pulls up and asks what I am bringing today.

Could be the CZ's, the DFX, Infinium, Goldquest, TDI, HH PI, even the Minelab Advantage, Gold Bug SE or Baron Cointrax II ( the last one a killer dry sand unit and one of the few detectors that can discrim out bottle caps and get solid hits on nickels and gold).

But..most times its the CZ and a waterproof PI.

I always bring a VLF that can hunt the wet salt sand like the CZ or DFX in addition to the PI in case I run into tons of iron and nails.

Over the years and with all the detectors I have used, I have come to the conclusion that beach hunting success is much more a result of conditions than the detector. If the beaches are sanded in and there isn't a lot happening, no matter what detector you are using, you aint gonna find much. Sure, you can get lucky, but the probability of finding good targets is much greater with the right conditions.

At this point, on the beaches I hunt in NJ, we need about 3-4 back to back Noreasters to bust up the beaches ! I got lucky a few weeks ago, but overall, it's been BRUTAL this last month.

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
If targets are plentiful: Minelab E-Trac (discrimination to avoid zinc pennies)

If targets are scarce: White's Dual Field PI (better depth for sanded-in conditions)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Primary beach machine when going in water....Excal with WOT coil
Backup beach machine when going in water....Excal with S-12 coil
Backup to Backup Waterproofed Sov GT
Wet/dry sand at beach Minelab Sovereign GT with SEF 15"x18" Butterfly coil...

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Which I take has alot to do with were I'm headed and the season, first choice would be the 10in Excal Doc's Amp, w/remote PP switch on the handle, tuff to choice second but Cz20 8in is my second grab....

Attachments

• SNAG-0002.jpg
    SNAG-0002.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 306

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread