Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm relatively new to beach hunting and only turned my attention towards it when my company offered me a job in Okinawa for a couple of years. I've been detecting these beaches only a few months now and have come to the conclusion that I prefer this over hunting on land.

I found a friend on the island who also detects, and we get out about every week or so to try our luck. This last Saturday night proved to be my best trip to date. We met up around 8pm and had plans to hit 3 beaches.

The first beach didn't turn out that well at all. A dozen pulltabs, can slaw, and a couple hundred yen is all I managed to get. I hope this wasn't going to set the tone for the rest of the night. Luckily, the Gods were about to smile upon me.

We walked down to the next beach and got to the swimming area and started hunting immediately. My buddy started swinging his way to the opposite end of the beach and I hit the wet sand with the Infinium. Within minutes, the yen started to come out of the ground. Working my way down the stretch of beach I get one of those good LOUD shallow targets.

I move the coil to kick at the sand and I see the glimmer of a silver coin edge winking at me. As I reach down to pick it up, I notice that it wasn't the 100 yen coin I was expecting. That "coin" turned out to be a silver ring. But I immediately noticed that the weight didn't feel right. This was a small ring, but the density was overwhelming for such a small piece... unlike a typical silver ring of comparable size.

I rubbed the sand off and looked for a marking, and faintly could read something with the red light coming from my headlamp. I switch the light to put off a white beam, and it was at that point I realized what I had. I could clearly read Pt900. WOW.

The last beach couldn't compare to this. The night ended with about 1,300 yen (about $16), but that one find made it worth while.

Once home, I washed it up and put it on the scale. There aren't any diamonds or gems, so it's 100% metal. I'm thinking that these next 20 months are going to be nice ;D

Attachments

• Metal Detecting 001.JPG
    Metal Detecting 001.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 627
  • Metal Detecting 003.JPG
    Metal Detecting 003.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 633
  • Metal Detecting 004.JPG
    Metal Detecting 004.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 622
Upvote 0

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
my congratulations....

and what is the density of Pt900? you measured?

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Hey Congrats! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Melt value (today) of 8 grams is $373 (after 10% fee). Not a bad evening of detecting. :headbang:

HH Joe

Aurora64blue

Sep 25, 2009
South Eastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tiger Shark, Fisher F70, Vibra Probe 580
WTG

That would get my blood going for a couple of days.

One more like that and you'll have your machine paid off.

Cheers,

Ralph

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll hang on to that one for sure! MAYBE? Super find! :headbang: :headbang:

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet your heart was beating hard when you saw that Plat marking!

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
It definitely made my heart skip a beat. I really wasn't expecting that at all. Not sure if I'll keep it or not. I'm making a trip back to Dallas soon, so I'll probably bring it home and sell it to a refiner.

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
Nice ring! :icon_thumleft:

Ya gotta luv the Infinium too! :wink:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice :icon_thumleft:

I've been hunting 10 years and still haven't found a Platinum piece. Maybe one day.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool!!!!!!!!!!!

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
That is one beautiful ring find, Bobbypins! :hello2: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions