wet suits

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im in newyork and im triyng to figure out the earlyest day i can get out right now i can wear a 7mm full jump wetsuit and im getting a pair of 7mm booties in what water temp should i be able to handle with that? im hoping to be dodgeing ice but i doubt that i could wear my 2/3 mm over my 7 to try that but then my feet would get cold id assume

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or if not diving a good pair of insulated fisherman's waders are comfortable. Be sure to wear a belt and don't go out up to waist deep in waves. Good idea to wear a inflatable suspender type PFD just in case. It is a lot pleasanter to get undressed back at the vehicle. The only thing warmer is a dry suit.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well i allready have the wetsuit stuff but for detecting to like up to belly button does everyone think that 7mm booties and full suit should be plenty?

OP
OP
fisher2

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dang dad remember to sign out when you get off the family computer :P

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to live in upstate NY and fish in the winter. I wore neoprene waders and a couple pair of socks. Ice kept forming in the fly rod guides but I was warm enough. They might work for you and they might be cheaper than a full blown wet suit. I really don't know for sure because I never priced a wetsuit but the last I checked you could pick up a pair of neoprenes (with or without a built in boot) for around $100 (prices may vary). If you decide on neoprenes, PM me your height and weight. I have a brand pair that I probably won't be using, now that I live in NC.

OP
OP
fisher2

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol i already have a wetsuit and everything im just asking so i dont walk down to the beach and break some ice to go detecting to find its to darn cold

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
fisher2 said:
lol i already have a wetsuit and everything im just asking so i dont walk down to the beach and break some ice to go detecting to find its to darn cold

Did you follow the link I put in the post above? If so, you need to match the water temperature with your activity and the mm of the suite you plan to wear to see if it matches the recommendations for comfort. I don't know the water temp in your area. If it is the ocean, often times the weather station can tell you the water temp. HH, Ralph

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Don`t forget to bring a good pair of neoprene gloves too. I've been quite comfortable diving under ice with a 7mm wetsuit and often waterhunt wearing a drysuit in cold water, but what usually drives me out of the water are my cold fingers. Even with gloves on they get really cold after a while.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Back in the days when I lived in Mass I had no problem diving with a 1/4 inch neoprene wet suit-I don't know what that is in mils but you should be fine in a 7 mil, good booties and gloves

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions