When routines prove BAD

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A total of four hours of beach hunting and less then a handfull of clad, just a few lose coins, that was my total take on two seperate trips to the beach, it just didn't make sense given all the ground I'd covered. To complicate the issue I was using an Excal with WOT, a setup that always locates a lot of targets, yet in my last two outings it had hardly popped more then a dozen tones. This is a machine that is always dialed in and its knobs are always at the same settings, they are never changed, it's one of those personal routines that you can always count on.

Back up six months, to the last time this machine was used, to those last moments it was used during one of those after the hunt tailgate tutorials. There we were, standing at the back of the vehicle playing with the controls to see how high we could set the machine in order to miss all the buried tin cans and shredded aluminum and still stand a chance of picking up a few coins. "Heck with it!" The excal went back in the vehicle and was never used again until my last two trips at the beach. Now move forward again, to my last two outings at the beach.

I never even bothered to check the machine's settings, no sense in it since the normal routine was never adjusting the darn thing from it's preferred settings. But I gotta tell you, if you set this machine in pinpoint with the sensitivity turned all the way down and the disc set at about the 13 - 14 notch.........."You're going to have a real nice stroll at the beach but you're sure not going to find much!" :laughing7: Du.......

Upvote 0

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya... I have just been happy to find pulltabs with the DF. I assume you hunt the same beach as me... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too many fires burning, too many details stirring in the mind, go to the beach for a few hours of escape and relaxation and sure enough as soon as you slip on those headphones......"everything" escapes you! :laughing7: But hey, even a bad day at the beach is better then not being there at all. :thumbsup:

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
Sooooo True!!

bigscoop said:
Too many fires burning, too many details stirring in the mind, go to the beach for a few hours of escape and relaxation and sure enough as soon as you slip on those headphones......"everything" escapes you! :laughing7: But hey, even a bad day at the beach is better then not being there at all. :thumbsup:

D

digum smacks

everyones gonna shoot me for this one.but the wot coil really "SUCKS" had 2. 1 went south dont know why? not that old.ive learned this on the excal.the wot coil is excellent for the dry sand because most good targets are 6" or less.and the 10inch stock coil goes deeper than the wot, actually you lose depth with a wot but gain area.NOW THIS IS ON THE 2 EXCALS I USED.yours may be different but i doubt it.i use the platypus a way better coil than the wot.shoot i have a 15x12 butterfly that i like better than the wot because its lighter.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snooksion said:
everyones gonna shoot me for this one.but the wot coil really "SUCKS" had 2. 1 went south dont know why? not that old.ive learned this on the excal.the wot coil is excellent for the dry sand because most good targets are 6" or less.and the 10inch stock coil goes deeper than the wot, actually you lose depth with a wot but gain area.NOW THIS IS ON THE 2 EXCALS I USED.yours may be different but i doubt it.i use the platypus a way better coil than the wot.shoot i have a 15x12 butterfly that i like better than the wot because its lighter.

I've not been using it too long but it seemed to do real well for us up north in the few freshwater hunts we squeezed in last fall. Honestly, I've just had too much on my plate lately to even enjoy the few hours of free time I've managed. But that will be slowing down soon (March - April) and I hope to get more free time to play with the thing a bit more seriously and a bit more often. I've been wanting to buy a new unit since last summer but really don't plan on doing until I know I'm going to have the time to use it a lot. Since then I've been using/barrowing a few different units and setups so I'll have a better idea of what I want to buy when the time comes. Just not real sure what I want yet?

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
snooksion said:

Well the 2 WOTS that I have installed on my excals seem to work pretty well and I am digging coins & rings much deeper than the other excal with the stock 10 & as deep as the PI Sea Hunter MK3 or the Infinium LS Maybe U just had some defective coils or defective machines. Also have a WOT for my land machine (Explorer 2 and it will also go much deeper than the stock 10 )

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:
snooksion said:

Well the 2 WOTS that I have installed on my excals seem to work pretty well and I am digging coins & rings much deeper than the other excal with the stock 10 & as deep as the PI Sea Hunter MK3 or the Infinium LS Maybe U just had some defective coils or defective machines. Also have a WOT for my land machine (Explorer 2 and it will also go much deeper than the stock 10 )

Not saying your wrong, but I have a waterproofed Sov GT that had a WOT on it, I used it in the water a lot before I modded my Excal with a WOT and it pulled up deep targets constantly. I have an Excal that has a WOT spliced on it and it pulls up targets well over 10 inches, has done so many, many times. I have another WOT that I use to use on my 2nd Sov GT and it pulls up deep targets as well. I stopped using it on my land Sov GT only because I bought the SEF 15x18" Butterfly coil (before the price increase) and it is what I use on the beach if I am not hunting water, that also goes real deep, pulled up a .06 gram gold ring at least 10 inches deep.

My WOTS and SEF Buterfly coils are all deeper then the stock 10 inch coils that came with my EXcals and Sov GTs.

Currently my water machines are.

Waterproofed Sov GT...Had a WOT, I cracked the coil on it, I am going to install the stock coil and sell it.
Sov GT with SEF 15x18" Butterfly coil, WOT and also a spare 12x15 Butterfly coil.
Excal with WOT spliced on.
Backup Excal with S-12 coil spliced on.....(I will most likely install the SEF 12x15" Butterfly coil on it and sell the S-12)

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
snooksion said:

I agree 100%. I had a WOT and it did not go as deep as the stock ten does.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it appears there's way different opinions on, and experiences with the WOT, even with the same machines and in the same general region, I'm curious to know if everyone was using pretty much the same machine settings? Just from the short time I've played with the WOT I have noticed an obvious decline in depth as the sensitivity is decreased. When I put the Excal in manual with the disc set at 1 and the sensitivity set as high as conditions allow, which is pretty high, the Excal & WOT setup has been pretty impressive so far, (though the larger coil is a load to handle in the surf after a while. :laughing7:) Even so, I'm not sure I'm sold on it just yet?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
Since it appears there's way different opinions on, and experiences with the WOT, even with the same machines and in the same general region, I'm curious to know if everyone was using pretty much the same machine settings? Just from the short time I've played with the WOT I have noticed an obvious decline in depth as the sensitivity is decreased. When I put the Excal in manual with the disc set at 1 and the sensitivity set as high as conditions allow, which is pretty high, the Excal & WOT setup has been pretty impressive so far, (though the larger coil is a load to handle in the surf after a while. :laughing7:) Even so, I'm not sure I'm sold on it just yet?

Use the harness with the WOT, I have been hunting with a harness for over 4 years now, makes all the difference in the world..... :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread