chazzcage

Nov 12, 2010
Wilmington, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that the Sand and Tiger sharks are coming back can people with knowledge chime in on some guidance. I am mostly looking to hunt on the Carolina coast on wet and dry sand and a little in the shallow surf. Would not mind also using it for some dry land/woods but very little. Is Tesoro still to be trusted as the 18 months connector issue has me concerned? With all this said would you skip all three and go right to an Excal?

Upvote 0

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would personally look into a unit that utilizes more than one frequency to counteract the high mineralization of the wet sand...with that said you have the following choices:
1. minelab
2. fisher makes a two freq water machine
3. Whites BHID

each has it's strengths and weaknesses so it boils down to preference/price...if u were only detecting fresh water i would say hands down give the AT Pro a shot(in a few months as they seem to be having some issues with the early ones)

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chazzcage said:
Now that the Sand and Tiger sharks are coming back can people with knowledge chime in on some guidance. I am mostly looking to hunt on the Carolina coast on wet and dry sand and a little in the shallow surf. Would not mind also using it for some dry land/woods but very little. Is Tesoro still to be trusted as the 18 months connector issue has me concerned? With all this said would you skip all three and go right to an Excal?

Tesoro.

1. Tesoro Tiger Shark = Fresh Water and or Salt dry sand. No salt water, its a lost cause with Salt Water.
2. Tesoro Sand Shark = Salt Water, Dry Sand, OR fresh water. It's a PI machine, no discrimination, will find everything. Including the small/fine and deep gold that the others can't touch.
3. AT PRO = Fresh water, Dry sand. Does work in Salt, to a minimum degree, has the same typical issues the ACE series has with loss of depth and sensitivity due to it's chatter.

While the Excal appears to be a nice machine for some, you can buy (2) tesoros and part of the AT Pro for the cost of the Excal --AND-- you get lifetime warranty with Tesoros whereas your lucky to get 1 year with Minelab and 3 or less with the Garrett.

I've used them each. It's my 2 cents. I use the Sand Shark exclusively, land or water. Salt or fresh.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate to say this because I love Tesoro, but I would not buy the Sand Shark. I've owned one and used it a lot. Its depth was ok but it weighed a ton (or felt like it after a few hours, even hip mounted).

If you want a PI machine, right now I'd recommend the Detectorpro Headhunter PI. It's simple to operate, the depth is great and you can swing it all day and not get tired. I preferred the 8" coil because it pinpoints better, but some like the 11" coil for extra depth.

You'll only get about 10 hours use off 2 9-volt batteries because it runs really hot. I would seriously consider it if you want a PI machine. I think its the best buy for PI units under $1000 right now, and I have used most of them.

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
I have been useing the fisher 1280 and it done well,I just got a excall and I cant think about not having one now.If you can afford it go stright to the excall,then you will never look back,I am going to chest or hip mount it but other then that it is great.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
chazzcage said:
What about Whites Surf Dual PI?

The Dual Field would be my second choice. It's good on small gold due to the inner coil design, BUT...

That coil is simply too big. It feels like you're swinging a garbage can lid. Pinpointing is terrible. And because the coil is so boyant (you would have to buy an after market weight for it), it floats like a cork which requires extra effort to keep under the water when surf hunting.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chazzcage said:
What about Whites Surf Dual PI?

I would definitely not use this thing in the water. The "near-neutral buoyant" coil floats like a cork and it gets difficult after a while holding it down. However this lighter coil is nice out of the water on wet or dry sand. It suffers like all PI's in finding every tiny wire or staple on the beach. You can add a sand filled sock to the coil for water work and take it off for sand hunting. I haven't heard much about them flooding as the Surfmaster's and PI Pro. Maybe when the detectors get a bad rep they change the name and box, decals. :laughing7:

If you want a PI, I like the Sand Shark for easy use, depth, and warranty. It would not be my choice for any land use in the woods or a park. The CZ-20/21 is very good too and even though I love my Excal, I toss a coin to see which one I use that day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread