Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather was so nice today, finally got back to my spot on the lake that has been doing so well.. I am only able to hunt about 2 hrs in the water, but still managed another 2 rings. I really have to wonder just how much gold is there, since I still havent hit half the area that is huntable..
As you can see from the finds pile, hardly any garbage whatsoever.... What you see is exactly what I dug up.
First ring was a small band, stamped .583 and the second a big class or masonic ring, too worn to tell, stamped 14k... Also found an earring that is exactly like one I found the last time out. Must have been in someones pocket, cause this one had the back on it..
Havent counted the clad yet, but probably at least $4 or so..

Last pic is of all the rings I have pulled from this one spot, and I have yet to NOT find gold there... If I could hunt like Snooksion does, I would probably be posting 10 ring hunts, but thats okay, a few at a time will at least keep me from whining about not being able to go with the "GoldMeister"...

Stay safe all...

Attachments

• 2-17-11 finds 1.jpg
    2-17-11 finds 1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 583
  • 2-17-11 rings.jpg
    2-17-11 rings.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 584
  • LP Rings.jpg
    LP Rings.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 593
Upvote 0

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Cha-Ching dude, your kicking the proverbial booty train. Real nice, Gotta Love that Gold in the scoop. :thumbsup:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice string of rings! Hope your back isnt hurting you too much.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Impressive! :headbang:

Congrats on all those beautiful gold ring finds! :hello2:

Texcam

Nov 27, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, White's Classic 5 ID, Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Silver Surfer,

Very nice going, gold is good.

Are you hunting with your Excal or your PI ?

If your using the Excal after a few more hunts then the PI will clean up on the really deep targets.

HH

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft:wow :icon_thumright: would love to find a spot like that!!!!!!!

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texcam said:
Silver Surfer,

Very nice going, gold is good.

If your using the Excal after a few more hunts then the PI will clean up on the really deep targets.

HH

You got yourself a sweet little honey hole :icon_pirat: If not already, try AM and reverse discrimination. Will help to get deeper and cut down on back pain!! 8)

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEET gold rings, congratulations SS. :icon_thumleft:
The larger one looks old.... HH
Gold Nuggets :hello:

Digg Mo

Oct 18, 2006
Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro,Tesoro Sidewinder,Tesoro Conquistador, Tesoro Tigershark, Troy Shadow X2, Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome haul!!! Nice gold rings!!! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the way it's giving up the gold and not a bunch of slaw! :icon_thumright:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look at you! That's great! :icon_thumleft:

You really seem to be hitting your stride now!

MD epidemic

Nov 15, 2010
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal, wader,Vaquero,Ace 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one, SWEET! spot. Wish i had one like that.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevemc said:
Nice string of rings! Hope your back isnt hurting you too much.
Thats why I cant wait to get the permanent NS in... Just a few months back, I could hunt water for a good 5 hrs and then drive a couple hours home with no more pain than I have now after 2 hrs and a 10 min drive home... Plus, the walking (left leg dragging) is worse now also. But they assured me that the limited hunts (without the stooping/kneeling of land hunts) should not make anything worse...
After surgery (either 4pm today or next thursday), ANY hunting will be a big no-no until at least 8 weeks post-op, which bums me out of course...
Every time I have gone, I have wanted to keep hunting (who wants to quit when you are finding and know more is there), but I HAVE to listen to the little wise voice telling me to stop... Then when I get home, hit the bed and ice up, and pop the pills, I am glad I listened..

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texcam said:

HH
I sold the PI in December..... Yeah, I thought the exact thing a few times, especially since this area has been used since the mid '20's...
But on the other hand, the Excal null's a LOT, so the area is heavy with iron and there is no way I could dig that much... So far, I have been doing just fine with the Excal since everything below the sand is really hard muck.. 4 of the rings have been hidden in the muck and I would have to break it apart, shake the scoop, and then see that beautiful yellow still stuck in a chunk of the hardpan... So maybe things arent sinking any further..
I have found dozens of egg sinkers, some that are 1-2 oz, and if they dont sink out of reach, it would take a pretty large chunk of gold, or platinum, to sink as deep as they do..

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
surfnturf said:
You got yourself a sweet little honey hole :icon_pirat: If not already, try AM and reverse discrimination. Will help to get deeper and cut down on back pain!! 8)
Could you explain that please?? I understand the "AM" (all metal), but what do you mean "reverse disc"?
Current settings are "0" disc, volume cranked, threshold slight hum, and gain at 8 (10am)... Tried cranking the gain, but then it becomes unstable..

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the nice comments all...I havent hunted the lakes all that much before, but gas got to be so bad that the pressure to find gold was just not making it fun. Every time I drove east or west and found no gold, I would beat myself up for wasting $40 or more on gas and being on a limited income... Sure, we all want to hit the "high traffic" areas like SB or CWB, etc., and that is sound strategy, but these lakes and waterfront homes have been being used for DECADES, there is little water movement to make things sink quickly, and if you get lucky and the lake has a hardpan muck bottom under the sand, things will sit there in range, for ever??
Anyway, that is my "theory" and I sure plan on using it a lot... One of the rings I found yesterday was 10 ft from where I anchored my boat, and there is NOTHING there as far as houses, beach, etc... Just woods and lake grass... Now how the heck did someone lose a ring there?? I have no idea. Maybe casting for bass and ring flew off? Maybe it HAD a house/swimming area there at some time??
I also found quite a bit of change in that area too, and I know people dont lose change when casting, so who knows how it got there... I have been finding that the majority of clad I am getting is from the mid-60's through the early 70's... Even found a wheatie but it was so eroded that I could not see the date even with my 20x loop..

All in all, I have a feeling that the majority of us are missing a great opportunity if we are not hitting the lakes.. I just hope I dont kick myself in the arse for posting all of this. I know there is a group of water hunters from just north of me that will surely start hitting our lakes if they read my posts... Oh well....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job on the gold SS, you Florida boys are killing the gold. Only ones that are kicking up north is surfnturf with the excal, and Cfmct-PI (craig) with his Df.....Good luck with the surgery, hope all goes well..........joe

Reverse discrimination hunting, .......In PP mode hunting checking the signal by switching to discrimination. Depth gain can be different due to the matrix of the area detected. Florida I found the gain very little, maybe 2 to 3 inch's deeper then discriminate. Fresh water .... more, think I remember about 6 inch's

Texcam

Nov 27, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, White's Classic 5 ID, Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Silver Surfer,

Good luck and and hope for a speedy recovery .

Regards James

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread