About gold chain

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I dont think there is a good detector that can find a small gold chain. Maybe some tiny coiled gold nugget detector can, but as far as a beach detector, I dont know of one that is good. Years ago in the detector club we all brought our machines in and tested how deep they would air detect, and we also tried a thin gold chain. Only one and it was real close, like within an inch, maybe touching the coil, and it was a Fisher Impulse, a PI machine.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The gold chains that I have found with my Minelab GT have been coiled up on recovery....and I have only found about 4 chains in the 5 years that I have been detecting. It's a real challenge.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a decent number of smaller chains very fine/wafer thin type -- Mostly silver, but several gold. I was amazed at how thin many were and could be detected ... but then again, my machine will find staples at darn near a foot. PI machines are generally good on them. I use the Tesoro Sand Shark.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I used to have a Tesoro Sting Ray, a TR machine, and I am sure it could pick up a thin gold chain, but it wasnt great in the salt water. I have a White's Surfmaster PI, and it could not pick up a thin gold chain. I havent tried my Mr Bill modified Whites surfmaster, basicly a PI Pro, and I have found several tiny rings and tiny earrings with it, but I am sure it could find a thin gold chain, but most likely only at real close. Silver is more conductive than jewelry gold, almost as conductive as iron. So a thin silver chain should be easier than a thin gold chain. I think most thinner gold chains are found because of a pendant, or even the clasp.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most water machines are tuned to automatically reject salt which interferes with thin gold, like chains. They still pick up solid items like studs and the clasp on chains. If you have a Tesoro that has a salt mode switch check a chain in the normal mode, you will get a response. When you turn on the salt mode the signal will disappear.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a gold bracelet 14k 2 years ago, the only way i found it was there were 2 quarters under it!!! Chug

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
I haven't found many gold chains one reason is detectors do not see the entire chain instead they see a chain 1 link at a time or the clasp... the few chains I have found have had medals on them or rings... My main detector is a PI and the VLF for iron infested spots in the wet sand..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread